Let the RG8 Mods begin...

AbsentCurtis

Avoiding work
Reaction score
Couldn't wait to post some progress pics. I'm just waiting for the black Ibanez logo and F Holes to be delivered.

Matching headstock FTW
RG8heasdtock.jpg

Killswitch and speed knob (I don't know why, I just love the speedknob look)
RG8killswitch.jpg

Full body shot
RG8full.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I see some 8s use duo truss rods for some reason

I think it's a style choice. I find them tedious.

Also... Y'all are doing some serious work in here. I still haven't decided if I'm gonna do a killswitch or a blower switch.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
I think it's a style choice. I find them tedious.

Also... Y'all are doing some serious work in here. I still haven't decided if I'm gonna do a killswitch or a blower switch.

Random question: I've been seeing people say they're gonna install a blower switch. I'm still not sure, what is it exactly? :lol:

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Did anyone else have the issue of a ludicrous fret buzz on the F#, even after putting a larger string on?

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Conflicted on where to go. I don't really want to add anything for the sake of adding it, but I do want an RGA body made for it. In flat black. :yum:

danresn

Reaction score
Random question: I've been seeing people say they're gonna install a blower switch. I'm still not sure, what is it exactly? :lol:

It's a switch that bypasses your guitars controls. Traditionally its routed so that when activated the bridge humbucker goes straight to the output jack without passing any capacitors (Tone volume pots etc) which cut off a little high end. This allows easy switching between clean and dirty, if you use your volume to clean up your signal.

He has better examples but I found this first. Skip to 1:10 for a demonstration

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Hi, excuse me double posting this, as I also posted this in the RG-RollCall thread, but figured here more people might read this:

I received my black RG8 today, but there are a couple small issues with it and I wanted to ask you guys about your opinion:

-volume knob does not work, which by itself is not a real big deal, probably just needs to be re-soldered or in worst case replaced which I could do myself

-the nut has kind of a groove or cut on the back, it looks like it was cut and as if the nut is just two pieces glued together. (see pics). This looks weird to me and I'm not sure if all nuts on the RG8 come like this, hence I wanted to ask fellow RG8 owners if your nut has the same thing? What I'm a bit worried about is that this might cause stability issues on the nut...
96308406.jpg

50735205.jpg

-the bridge has two spots where the black paint is off (see pics), probably happened when it was screwed to the body. while this does not bother me aesthetically I'm worried at those spots the bridge might corrode ...
70584040.jpg

11273998.jpg

I'm torn whether or not to return the guitar for these issues or if I should keep it and maybe fix these myself (volume pot is no biggie, but I'm not sure on how I would fix the other two issues).

Any advice?

I'm still a bit in doubt on whether or not to return this guitar.
Do you guys think the bridge and the nut can be ordered as spare parts?
Would it be easy to replace the nut myself or would a nut have to be filed an fitted especially for that particular guitar?
It's a bummer this guitar I got has these issues as apart from those it really seems very nice.

lemonlust

Reaction score
I'm still a bit in doubt on whether or not to return this guitar.
Do you guys think the bridge and the nut can be ordered as spare parts?
Would it be easy to replace the nut myself or would a nut have to be filed an fitted especially for that particular guitar?
It's a bummer this guitar I got has these issues as apart form those it really seems very nice.

If you're having that much problems with it get a replacement. I got my RG8 in yesterday with a broken neck. Got it packed up, UPS picked it up and a replacement is already on its way.

zootzoot

Reaction score
can you see any of the inlays thru the stain?

i'm thinking of doing this on my schecter to get rid of that god awful skull inlay. :wallbash:

dat ebonization is sexy! :bowdown: :bowdown: allah!!

on another note:
na na na na boo boo
my schecter has the offset dot inlays, by accident!!!

i was so happy not to get the skull one in the mail!!

(btw congratulate me bitch on my first ever post/answer on 7-string forums):fawk:

-zoot.

')