Let the RG8 Mods begin...

Negav

Reaction score
Mine is all white (knobs, pups, switch tip) with gold hardware... I've been doing some research looking for someone to make me a white pearl pickguard for it. Going for the Jem look. :cool:

This. Also... what are you CNC'ers waiting for? If you were to sell those pickguards about 20-25 bucks ( or more, I have no idea about the blanks price ) a piece you could be making a lot of money! The demand for them is super high. I haven't gotten mine yet, but I would definitely love to get a pickguard for it. Who's with me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlexThorpe

Reaction score
This. Also... what are you CNC'ers waiting for? If you were to sell those pickguards about 20-25 bucks ( or more, I have no idea about the blanks price ) a piece you could be making a lot of money! The demand for them is super high. I haven't gotten mine yet, but I would definitely love to get a pickguard for it. Who's with me?

If I had a little more programming experience, I have access to a shop full of CNC machines that I could use on a weekend day. Need to learn!

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I've been thinking of panda-fying my guitar while it has the stock pickups.

17516_10200540465651256_839268074_n.jpg

Reaction score
Kind of bad lighting, I'll try to snap some better pictures tomorrow, but I've finished round 1 of modding my RG8.

So far I have done:
Vinyl on headstock
Black pinstriping
Hipshot locking tuners
Dimarzio DA8 pickups
stained the fretboard black

Here are some pictures anyway:
yzPn49Yl.jpg

5vds1All.jpg

2HOR7u2l.jpg

rudYsQPl.jpg

Things left to do:
Put Ibanez logo on headstock
rewire completely with 5-way switch and push pull volume knob
route for middle ionizer pickup
black pick guard
put on hipshot bridge

Hoping to have this done in the next few weeks, shipping on parts is killing me though!

WOW! Looks great!

But what about the dot inlays? You still notice them when you take a closer look? And how do you want to get the Ibanez logo back on the headstock??

AlexThorpe

Reaction score
WOW! Looks great!

But what about the dot inlays? You still notice them when you take a closer look? And how do you want to get the Ibanez logo back on the headstock??

The fretboard stain covered up the dots, they are ago noticeable from certain angles in certain lighting, but besides that they are very hard to see.

And I have a logo coming from best-decals.com, it's just taking its sweet time to get here.

MetaSoul

Reaction score
3tv5k

Ionizers going in!

3tDTD.jpg

Just trying to decide on a pickguard

Mmmmhm! Looks so good, right!?

I did the same thing to mine, except for it is black and the pickups are black with chrome poles. I ended up making a pearloid pickguard for it, as well. At first I couldn't decide, though, so I ordered a bunch of different material to help me make up my mind and so I could do a practice run, first. I am planning on moding a white one too, when I get sometime, but I also figured some of you may be interested in the rest of my bulk.

If you need any help on the pickguard, I already have it all programed for an HSH set-up.

Anyone else, too... I can configure it however pretty easily.

I have a lot 3ply b/w/b and w/b/w, if any of you are interested in some pickguards.

Glad to see someone else took the plunge!

Khai H8drusH

H8dstringer
Reaction score

I did the same thing to mine, except for it is black and the pickups are black with chrome poles. I ended up making a pearloid pickguard for it, as well. At first I couldn't decide, though, so I ordered a bunch of different material to help me make up my mind and so I could do a practice run, first. I am planning on moding a white one too, when I get sometime, but I also figured some of you may be interested in the rest of my bulk.

If you need any help on the pickguard, I already have it all programed for an HSH set-up.

I have a lot 3ply b/w/b and w/b/w, if any of you are interested in some pickguards.

Count me in for the pickguard, mate. :)

FromTheMausoleum

That one guy
Reaction score

How big did you make the pickup spaces on the pickguard? Gotta cover them gaps xD

I'd be getting black pearloid for both of my RG8s to match my dingwall that I'm getting soonish.

MetaSoul

Reaction score
How big did you make the pickup spaces on the pickguard? Gotta cover them gaps xD

I'd be getting black pearloid for both of my RG8s to match my dingwall that I'm getting soonish.

I just copied the way they did it on the tam. I don't know how you placed the single, though, I just centered it between the two existing cavities. If you did it the same way, it should line up close enough.

AlexThorpe

Reaction score

If you have any solid black pickguard material I'd love to order one as well!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Just realized that when i get the body that guitar will be close to the grand mark... $339 for the guitar (with coupon at GC) + $200 for a set of Blackouts + $150 for the Hipshot bridge and tuners +$225 for the new body +$20 for a dimarzio clip lock strap=$934 lol

Holy crap, who's the luthier that makes bodies like that for that price?

Reaction score
Holy crap, who's the luthier that makes bodies like that for that price?

I'm actually gonna ask him if he wants his name out there and report back... He runs a very small shop and does everything himself so it's not like he cranks these puppies out. My body is gonna take about three weeks total time.

Reaction score
While waiting for my body to get here, i decided to complete another project... I spent the night turning this:
CAM00316_zps4f60908a.jpg

Into this:
CAM00317_zps7ccec850.jpg

Added a Zebrawood veneer and black vinyl logo
CAM00318_zpsd1135f32.jpg

Reaction score
Where did you guys order pick guards, binding tape and stuff like that?
I was checking out this thread and was extremely impressed, I'm getting my RG8 soon and probably doing something like obZenity's RG8 since I loved the way it looked, however with some Binding and different pickups, I don't have any clue where to even get a Pickguard or any of that stuff.

I know where to get some 6 string pickguards and stuff like that but specifically 8 string pickguards let alone 8 string parts, I have no clue where to start.

Last edited:

jeleopard

Reaction score
So I plan on getting an RG8 and throwing in D Activators. Where can I get a pickguard to install that will cover up those ugly holes that the D Activators will leave?

Edit: Yea, what the guy above me said :lol:

DespoticOrder

Slave Driver
Reaction score
^^^ I promise that question has been answered at least a million times on this very thread, lol. You have to make one yourself or find some one else to make it for you. You can't really buy em unless its custom made.

Xykhron

Reaction score
Hi!

I'll probably buy an RG8 (black?, white? :scratch:) tomorrow, and I'm wondering if any of you can tell me total lenght of the guitar (from bottom to headstock) in order to know if any of my gigbags are valid for this guitar.

')