Let the RG8 Mods begin...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
And how is its character? Agressive? I'm looking for new pups for my baby and I am not sure if buying Lace-bars or Lundgren M8... looking for an agressive sounding pup like the SH6 Distortion but ERG designed.

XBar does NOT sound like an SH6. SH6 is more aggressive.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Yeah... DeathBar... the name itself says its more aggressive than a X-Bar... Uhm... I'm really tempted to buy Lace Alum. pups because are soooo different and looks f****ing amazing!

This is bad for the wallet!! Bad for the heart!! But how happy we are modding "cheap" guitars...

OK. I'm going three weeks for holidays. Gonna order them when come back.
Soon... new pics of a modded RG8. I promise!

Xykhron

Reaction score
And...any of you tried to put a 1 MOhm volume knob and disable tone?.
I disabled mine and now sounds fuller when playing cleans....huge difference. When playing distortion didn't noticed any change...but today I thought about the 1 Mohm pot in order to increase output signal and give more clarity to the sound with stock PU's, so my wallet won't suffer with the Laces. What do you think guys?

Zhysick

Reaction score
I've been trying and trying with lots of different gear and tricks to get a better tone from the RG8 stock pups. Now my guitar sounds amazing. I really like how it sounds. Powerfull, punchy, aggressive but... no enough definition.

I think you can try changing the pot as it is very cheap, but you will finally need to change the pups if you want a correct tone, a quality tone.

Mine sounds great but like a cheap guitar. I think a pup swap is a must if you want to keep this guitar and use it as a main guitar or a backup for live. If you just want to play in your bedroom you can have a very very nice tone with stock pups.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
And...any of you tried to put a 1 MOhm volume knob and disable tone?.
I disabled mine and now sounds fuller when playing cleans....huge difference. When playing distortion didn't noticed any change...but today I thought about the 1 Mohm pot in order to increase output signal and give more clarity to the sound with stock PU's, so my wallet won't suffer with the Laces. What do you think guys?

Don't do the one meg pot... It'll be way too bright... I put a 500k pot with my Xbars and they're QUITE bright that way...

At the same time... I think that as a result of some extra electronics in his circuit, Rook is running his at roughly 750k or something close to that and his sound amazing, but perhaps his EQ and bass tone make up for some of that...

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I've been trying and trying with lots of different gear and tricks to get a better tone from the RG8 stock pups. Now my guitar sounds amazing. I really like how it sounds. Powerfull, punchy, aggressive but... no enough definition.

I think you can try changing the pot as it is very cheap, but you will finally need to change the pups if you want a correct tone, a quality tone.

Mine sounds great but like a cheap guitar. I think a pup swap is a must if you want to keep this guitar and use it as a main guitar or a backup for live. If you just want to play in your bedroom you can have a very very nice tone with stock pups.

This... After a while I found myself almost not caring about changing them...

... til I tried recording them...

Zhysick

Reaction score
Don't do the one meg pot... It'll be way too bright... I put a 500k pot with my Xbars and they're QUITE bright that way...

At the same time... I think that as a result of some extra electronics in his circuit, Rook is running his at roughly 750k or something close to that and his sound amazing, but perhaps his EQ and bass tone make up for some of that...

He's doing the 1meg mod to the stock pups, not lace bars! I also think it's not necessary for the lace bars...

Yes. You know what I said. Everything sounds great 'til you record and hear the result... cheap pups, for sure. To play in a small amp in your bedroom are even more than 'good enough' but for more...

Poltergeist

Reaction score
will the tone of the xbars' become more bright or aggressive with a 500k tone pot mod... and 750k would they be more crisp in the highs and mids? or what.. I've got both the Deathbar and the xbar in my RG8... Love them.. but wish I could get a little more juice outta them.. any suggestions?

Igotsoul4u

Reaction score
RG8 in my reunion blues bag. Fits perfectly.....too bad the case costs half of the guitar! Normally I throw it in a bass case but was curious to see how it fit in the R.blues

FromTheMausoleum

That one guy
Reaction score
3MyGS

Just going to put this here before I either get(hoping someone will start making them) or make a couple pickguards.

DespoticOrder

Slave Driver
Reaction score
Inlay stickers and faux binding. Looks alot better in person. The binding has a really nice shine to it that helps it blend with the black. That plus the black pole D'activator set I've already got in there looks pretty tuxedo'd up. :metal:

Next will be a white pearl single ply pickguard or something similar. I've already got the gloss white/black/white 3 ply, but I think it looks too plain, so I'm not using it.

Oh and there's the white Dimarzio locking strap if that counts as a mod.

Igotsoul4u

Reaction score
is the binding basically what you would use to pinstripe a car? I am thinking of picking up some carbon fiber tape. any suggestions on tape type?

also ordered some DR strings 10-75. Goodbye floppy time!

Latest posts

')