Let the RG8 Mods begin...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
To all of you who installed the Hipshot fixed bridge on the RG8, which size did you use .125 or .175 and how does it play after? After speaking with Hipshot they said if i needed the extra string height to go with .175. So I'm guessing there may be some players preference involved but i still wanted to get the feedback of people who have successfully swapped bridges.

I would go with the .175... More mass =better sustain, and with the thicker bridge the saddles have tp be cocked up in the air so much

Jem7RB

Rootbeer
Reaction score
So far, Knob change, DiMarzio Clip-Lock, Agile/Rondo Cepheus Bridge pickup, Dots changed to Green Abalone, possible mods to come, neck pick up fill, maple droptop or redwood, Headstock to match, Hipshot bridge :)

JEt59FL.jpg

y45zbq1.jpg

cqfcFyc.jpg

6PFfel7.jpg

cakejetski

Reaction score
I couldn't find a wiring diagram for the RG8, and being inexperienced with pup swapping and guitar electronics in general I made a wiring diagram for it if anyone is interested. From everything I could see it looks correct, but I would appreciate if someone would look over it for me.

6k5jsXO.png

shanerct

Reaction score
I would go with the .175... More mass =better sustain, and with the thicker bridge the saddles have tp be cocked up in the air so much

Thank you for the input. I dont understand why the saddles would have to be raised on a thicker bridge. Did you happen to mean on a thinner bridge the saddles would have to be raised?

Just trying to understand it better cause I see that the .125 would work but if .175 makes a much of a difference and if i can still get low action i would want to take advantage of that.

Xykhron

Reaction score
Can anyone that had installed EMG808 or SD Blackouts 8 put a detailed image of PU's corners?. I'd like to know if there's too much to drill or not in order to buy one of those sets.

movingpictures

Reaction score
Can anyone that had installed EMG808 or SD Blackouts 8 put a detailed image of PU's corners?. I'd like to know if there's too much to drill or not in order to buy one of those sets.

Mines in the process of a new finish, but i have SD Blackouts, and i used a dremel to sand the corners of the pups instead of the body. Paint chips really easy!

GBH14

Reaction score
Mines in the process of a new finish, but i have SD Blackouts, and i used a dremel to sand the corners of the pups instead of the body. Paint chips really easy!

I would seriously advise sanding/filing the corners of the pups too.

I put EMGs in my RGA121 and was faced with the same situation.. I went to sand the pickup route and paint chipped away from the inside instantly so I stopped and sanded the edges of the pickups instead.

Here's a pick of what I had to do - It may be completely different for the RG8 though, but I will find out in a month or so when I change mine too!

Just do even amounts on each corner, a little at a time until they fit. You cant even notice it has been done once they are fitted, whereas if you sanded the route and returned to stock pups you would probably notice..

Edit - you obviously dont need to sand/file the corners right to the top of the pickup, just about halfway up.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Finally ordered new pickups for my RG8. Bare Knuckle Nailbomb (Ceramic bridge version). For less than 300€ including shipping for the set I think its good enough and it came with pickups, strings and a pick I think...

Can't wait to receive them!!!

I will do some comparison sound recordings if I can find a mic :/

RED_ROBOT

Reaction score
Hello from Russia, ss.org!

Here's my RG8, so far the mods are:
1 bridge pickup (Lace Deathbar), 1 volume
Tele - style pickguard (inspired by ss.org lol)

9572519167_f52f550cb1_b.jpg

9572522227_2eef0297ca_b.jpg

SammyKillChambers

Reaction score
Just chiming in here, I got a set of strings from Circle K for my RG8, the thickest string being an 86. The string goes through the bridge just fine, but I can't get it all the way through. I know I'll need to file the string hole (?) down to get it to fit, but what kind of file would I need? I'd also need to do the same for the nut and the tuning peg. Essentially, WAT DO? This is my first time using strings this heavy on a guitar with a string-thru body.

')