Let the RG8 Mods begin...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

himself138

Reaction score
one more thing. i put on the 74 gauge 8 string set and action looks so much higher. would the guitar tech be able to fix that prob

vick1000

Reaction score
one more thing. i put on the 74 gauge 8 string set and action looks so much higher. would the guitar tech be able to fix that prob

The nut slots probably need to be widened, any good tech can do it, or you can easily enough. Also the neck relief may be different and out of adjustment, if you put more tension on it with the heavier set.

markw1313

Reaction score
RGA8 Mods:-
Replaced the pickups with Bare Knuckle Emeralds.
Added a tone pot.
Series/parallel mini-switches.
Upgraded 3-way selector switch.
Switchcraft mono jack socket.

Much better. Tone vastly improved, plus actual dynamics.

movingpictures

Reaction score
Anyone have a pic with a passive pup installed minus the cover? Curious to see what it looks like..

vick1000

Reaction score
Well, picked up mine today. A few "factory" defects, such as a blob of what appears to be super glue, right in the center of the headstock. The maple on the neck looks like it was burned before they finished it, in a few spots. Worst of all though, there is a notch in the lower edge of the fretboard, about at the third fret, where it looks like they slipped with the fret cutting saw. They left a nice 1/16" deep and wide gash the thickness of the fretboard.

GC ordered a virgin from their warehouse, and let me take home this.....promiscuous version until my virgin bride arrives. If the next one is the same or worse, I may just grab a 7321, they have two hanging around. I'm not paying full price for what looks like a pawn shop piece, that everone and their brother has had their way with.

Good news is, once I got her home, and cleaned/ set her up, she plays pretty sweet. The action on the two center strings was set so high, they almost ran out of set screw. The wait continues.

EDIT: Just got through spending about two hours dialing in a good tone with it, and getting used to playing it. Tuned it to standard B on the lower 7, and put the 8th to G (I think). Added some limiter and dropped some low EQ. Now it just sings. The stock PuPs are not too bad, but I think Alumitones will be better, clearer anyway. Getting a really tight and choppy chunk now. Running though a Crate GT3500H, Boss GT-3 in the FX loop, into the Crate 4x12 (Celestion 70/80s, soon to be replaced with Texas Heats).

MikeSap

formerly mikeyENGL
Reaction score
got my rg8 today and gutted it. put some cts 500k pots, a switchcraft 3 way blade. dimarzio D-activator 8's, and some circle k strings. when i picked it up, the intonation was way off, the action was high, and the strings buzzed like crazy. i dropped the new electronics in, and put the strings on (10-82) and intonated it a bit. this thing plays and sounds like a dream. the dimarzios are awesome. way better than i had expected! can't wait to get my white one and mod that as well!

TerminalFunction

Reaction score
got my rg8 today and gutted it. put some cts 500k pots, a switchcraft 3 way blade. dimarzio D-activator 8's, and some circle k strings. when i picked it up, the intonation was way off, the action was high, and the strings buzzed like crazy. i dropped the new electronics in, and put the strings on (10-82) and intonated it a bit. this thing plays and sounds like a dream. the dimarzios are awesome. way better than i had expected! can't wait to get my white one and mod that as well!

Nice! Care to post a few pics? I'm thinking about putting in a couple of D activators.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
Got bored, done this. Cause Star Wars. :lol:

DSC_0019_zps1754163a.jpg

DSC_0020_zps661671c1.jpg

focusbob

Reaction score
Does anyone else find it strange that the tuners have no set screws? I think locking tuners typically have no set screws but all non-locking ones do... Is that why everyone is saying they will install locking tuners? Of course, drilling set screw holes is not the end of the world...

kentheterrible

cheer up emo kid
Reaction score
Any updates on going with the 18v mod in the existing controls cavity? Trying to decide whether to go with some 808Xs or maybe go passive and get a pickguard made.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Got bored, done this. Cause Star Wars. :lol:

DSC_0019_zps1754163a.jpg

DSC_0020_zps661671c1.jpg

C'mon man!! For the dark one like yours fits better "Vader's helmet" instead of a clone... clone helmets are for the white one! Hahahaha.

Nice inlays... really like it!!!!!

I'm still thinking if must buy the white or the black one... the black I saw here with the "tele-pickguard" is so amazing, but the white one looks... elegant?

When decide I will do some mods also... I have some in mind that could be interesting :)

kris_jammage

Reaction score
C'mon man!! For the dark one like yours fits better "Vader's helmet" instead of a clone... clone helmets are for the white one! Hahahaha.

Nice inlays... really like it!!!!

Well I think they will go well with white tone/volume knobs and switch tip as well as white pickups and a white strap! Plus a Star Wars Empire Decal, in white, for the body.

I LOVE black and white guitars!

:hbang:

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
Any updates on going with the 18v mod in the existing controls cavity? Trying to decide whether to go with some 808Xs or maybe go passive and get a pickguard made.

I'm fairly certain there is no way you're gonna fit two 9v batteries in that cavity with a switch and the wiring buss, but like I posted previously, there is a 24v mod battery pack on ebay that uses two AAs.

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
how are the bridges on these things? Would it be a good idea to get a hipshot retro fit? I'm going swirl....

PoonMasterMaster

Reaction score
Does anyone else find it strange that the tuners have no set screws? I think locking tuners typically have no set screws but all non-locking ones do... Is that why everyone is saying they will install locking tuners? Of course, drilling set screw holes is not the end of the world...

Instead of set screws, Ibanez usually uses tuners with small pegs on the underside that kind of sink into the headstock to keep them set. Here's the best picture I could find
69sU9Q3.jpg

Zhysick

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain there is no way you're gonna fit two 9v batteries in that cavity with a switch and the wiring buss, but like I posted previously, there is a 24v mod battery pack on ebay that uses two AAs.

Nice mod pack but... those cannot be AA batteries... AA batteries are only 1,5v... Maybe are those A23 wich are much more little than AA, even AAA...

The important thing is knowing which kind of battery are those before buying to know how easy could be to buy replacement batteries for it.

Don't like sellers how doesn't say the things clearly

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
I've decided I'm going to swirl my rg8 when I get it. Purple/Blue/Black might look cool. I'll install D'Activators, a hipshot bridge, schaller locking tuners, DiMarzio Cliplocks and all new electronics.

I can't wait for my taxes to get here.

vick1000

Reaction score
OK peeps, make you case for your favorite PuPs, SD Blackouts, Dactivators, or Lace Death/X Bars. I can get a great deal on Blackouts or Dactivators, but the Laces will be a full $200+ shipping.

I fear the Dactivators might be noisey, any opinions?

The Bars may be less noisey.

The SD BOs in my 7 string are middy as all hell.

')