Let the RG8 Mods begin...

FromTheMausoleum

That one guy
Reaction score
So mine(black RG8) will be here in around 2 and a half weeks, after reading this thread as a whole (took me about an hour and a half) I'm going to go with a Wood Grain Vinyl Film Sheet Rolls - Burlwood Dark as a pick guard, white Ionizer bridge and neck pickups that will be here in about a week (eventually make a spot for the single coil), a black DiMarzio cliplock, a Mighty Mite Guitar Barrel Knobs Black with Pearl Inlay | eBay , and eventually add in a killswitch near the upper horn.

Thank you all for this wonderful thread and all of the troubleshooting that came with it! Can't wait to show you guys the results!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
I posted this in the Luthiery section but didn't get a whole lot of feedback. Shoulda put it here in the first place with all the RG8 love.

"I have an RG8 glossy black. My plan was to refinish this guitar from the start and adding a veneer top, possibly walnut or spalted maple. I'm wondering if anyone has tried sanding down just the guitar top only. This is my plan and then to do a black edged natural burst (with dye, not paint). I would like to try this but wonder if anyone has ever gone this route with leaving the back and sides of the guitar intact with original paint. I've seen a few tutorials if it being done on some acoustics. Just curious of some solid body results."

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
To they guy asking on fret markers. Black dye kills them dead. Mine are nonexistant after dying them..

What kind of dye did you use? I've seen some people saying quite the opposite about them, covering the fret markers, but yours looks perfect.

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
That's my rosewood board second one down.

860529_492922977410035_1414601315_o.jpg

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I posted this in the Luthiery section but didn't get a whole lot of feedback. Shoulda put it here in the first place with all the RG8 love.

"I have an RG8 glossy black. My plan was to refinish this guitar from the start and adding a veneer top, possibly walnut or spalted maple. I'm wondering if anyone has tried sanding down just the guitar top only. This is my plan and then to do a black edged natural burst (with dye, not paint). I would like to try this but wonder if anyone has ever gone this route with leaving the back and sides of the guitar intact with original paint. I've seen a few tutorials if it being done on some acoustics. Just curious of some solid body results."

I feel like this'd be doable, just mask off the sides of the body and be careful when sanding. The only problem I can really see is matching the shade of black from the side of the guitar to the edge of the burst.

Seems like a really cool idea, though! :yesway:

gnarlwinslow

Reaction score
I feel like this'd be doable, just mask off the sides of the body and be careful when sanding. The only problem I can really see is matching the shade of black from the side of the guitar to the edge of the burst.

Seems like a really cool idea, though! :yesway:

Yeah for matching I may just use pin striping for a binding. Or possibly not even do black. We'll see how I'm its looking after I get the veneer on.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
Sup guys, I've never had a guitar modded in my life. So I'm a bit indecisive on what aspects would be worth the spend on improving my RG8. Just a few quick questions...

Tuners: Have no clue what brands are good.. What are the benefits of having Locking tuners over the stock ones? Will they keep the longevity of the string to stay in tune longer?

Nut: Are they rather universal for 8 strings? Will getting a fancy nut help with intonation? I dont see many on the net, was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for this kind of guitar.

I know some of my questions may sound noobish, It's just I've never looked into modding my guitars until now. Obviously pick up swap is very essential, which I'm set on the DiMarzio Ionizer 8's.. Anyways, any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

FromTheMausoleum

That one guy
Reaction score
Sup guys, I've never had a guitar modded in my life. So I'm a bit indecisive on what aspects would be worth the spend on improving my RG8. Just a few quick questions...

Tuners: Have no clue what brands are good.. What are the benefits of having Locking tuners over the stock ones? Will they keep the longevity of the string to stay in tune longer?

Nut: Are they rather universal for 8 strings? Will getting a fancy nut help with intonation? I dont see many on the net, was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for this kind of guitar.

I know some of my questions may sound noobish, It's just I've never looked into modding my guitars until now. Obviously pick up swap is very essential, which I'm set on the DiMarzio Ionizer 8's.. Anyways, any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to know what tuners would work best for the RG8 as some of the tuning machines on other 7+8 strings that I've played don't handle keeping the heavier strings in tune.

Reaction score
So...I was thinking about getting an RG8 and converting it to be like an 8-string JEM777 in that fluorescent pink color (you guys know what I'm talking about). But damn, I'm going to need to some help on this...

I was debating on dying the fretboard too (like what m4rk did). Painting it all pink, then swapping out the pickups for Ionizers since I like them wayyyy more than the D-Activators. (Also was going to check with Dimarzio about maybe getting a custom set made. But I doubt they would do it.) No middle pickup, no need for it.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
So...I was thinking about getting an RG8 and converting it to be like an 8-string JEM777 in that fluorescent pink color (you guys know what I'm talking about). But damn, I'm going to need to some help on this...

I was debating on dying the fretboard too (like what m4rk did). Painting it all pink, then swapping out the pickups for Ionizers since I like them wayyyy more than the D-Activators. (Also was going to check with Dimarzio about maybe getting a custom set made. But I doubt they would do it.) No middle pickup, no need for it.

Already called them and the lady was very adamant about not making a custom color :wallbash:

loopjunkie

Attack Dog Trainer
Reaction score
I would also like to know what tuners would work best for the RG8 as some of the tuning machines on other 7+8 strings that I've played don't handle keeping the heavier strings in tune.

I put Sperzel locking in mine, but it isn't together yet, so I cant comment on them.

loopjunkie

Attack Dog Trainer
Reaction score
Loophow much for the locking? and are they open back? Also where are the best place to get some white ionizers?

They are closed back I want to say the set was less then $100 they also over bored them for me. I have no idea on the ionizers

Jakelav

Reaction score
Well I had so many upgrades planned and then I found the truss rod nut was in this condition.
photoxgc.jpg

')