Let the RG8 Mods begin...

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
There was a thread recently where a guy was talking about shaving necks into a profile he liked, and then refinishing them with something. I can't remember what he said he used, but if it looks fine and you're worried about the feel, maybe you could go over it with a clear coat or something? I'm not sure how it would bond to what you just put on the neck, but maybe someone who knows more could chime in.

Sorry, I can't for the life of me remember what he said he used.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Quite possibly... I thought about it...

Would I have to buy two sets?!

:nuts:

I am in the process of ordering 8 Ghost saddles and Acousti-phonic preamp directly from Graphtech. The more of us ask them for an 8 string saddle set, the better. They sell their saddles individually, just email them about that.

I have already made this mod on an RG7421 and on an RG7321 and I simply love it. It ROCKs BIG TIME.

hand amputation

Reaction score
tmö;3539056 said:
I am in the process of ordering 8 Ghost saddles and Acousti-phonic preamp directly from Graphtech. The more of us ask them for an 8 string saddle set, the better. They sell their saddles individually, just email them about that.

I have already made this mod on an RG7421 and on an RG7321 and I simply love it. It ROCKs BIG TIME.

Thanks. I emailed them.

Khai H8drusH

H8dstringer
Reaction score
tmö;3539056 said:

As per ur info, im in the graphtech.com website but im unsure which ones fit the lefty rg8..any additional info is greatly appreciated.. :)

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Whenever I've stained my board and accidentally gotten some on the neck a pencil eraser got it off for me. The necks are finished. :yesway:

EDIT: Holy hell... I just saw your other thread... My advice won't work anymore. :rofl:

abadonae

This Fury Reborn
Reaction score
Whenever I've stained my board and accidentally gotten some on the neck a pencil eraser got it off for me. The necks are finished. :yesway:

EDIT: Holy hell... I just saw your other thread... My advice won't work anymore. :rofl:
#

haha cheers for the...um...help there buddy :lol: yea it went a bit pete tong but it's back on track now, sanded back most of the finish so it doesn't look half as bad now :)

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score

there is not an eraser big enough to fix that.

just swirl it...neck and all and be done with it.

Reaction score
As per ur info, im in the graphtech.com website but im unsure which ones fit the lefty rg8..any additional info is greatly appreciated.. :)

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply.

You should measure the distance from 1st to 6th string. I found that I should get the Ghost 8000-00 type of saddle.

I am ordering (not yet done the purchase) 8 Ghost 8000-00 saddles that go for part number BN 8000-00

As part of the order, besides the acousti-phonic preamp package, I am also ordering an extra summing board, a link cable and a quick switch, for mixing piezo and mag sounds.

Check these PDF files:
8 (or more) string guitar ghost install
Reference to Part Number Codes
Acousti-Phonic Pre-Amp info

Khai H8drusH

H8dstringer
Reaction score
tmö;3542360 said:
Hi, sorry for the delayed reply.

You should measure the distance from 1st to 6th string. I found that I should get the Ghost 8000-00 type of saddle.

I am ordering (not yet done the purchase) 8 Ghost 8000-00 saddles that go for part number BN 8000-00

As part of the order, besides the acousti-phonic preamp package, I am also ordering an extra summing board, a link cable and a quick switch, for mixing piezo and mag sounds.

Check these PDF files:
8 (or more) string guitar ghost install
Reference to Part Number Codes
Acousti-Phonic Pre-Amp info

Noted, thks much... ! :)

Reaction score
PICSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Ask and ye shall receive...

The Hipshot open back locking tuners
CAM00122_zps34bdab39.jpg

CAM00123_zps5e4cf5e7.jpg

The Hipshot bridge and modded Dimarzios
CAM00125_zpscc41b82b.jpg

More bridge and pups and stained fretboard
CAM00124_zpsfea41bf0.jpg

CAM00126_zps5d8e55c1.jpg

hand amputation

Reaction score
AWESOME. I want a Hipshot tuner set and bridge for mine in the worst way...

So, I am thinking of applying the Minwax Ebony tonight.

I had a question though... I am going to use painter's tape to mask off the neck, but should I paint the 'sides' of the neck where the rosewood wraps around? As in.. Where the position dots are? If I do will that cover the dots up for good?

Reaction score

I had a question though... I am going to use painter's tape to mask off the neck, but should I paint the 'sides' of the neck where the rosewood wraps around? As in.. Where the position dots are? If I do will that cover the dots up for good?

I think that if you are doing the Ebonize thing, it should be done on the sides also. IF you need those side dots, there is a product that fits the purpose of masking them:
Water Colour Mediums
Alternatively, you could apply little bit of silicon before and scrap it off after.

Reaction score

You can actually use the minwax express onyx to cover inlays... i have a 2004 LTD SC-607 and i couldn't stand how light the fretboard was nor the stupid smiley face inlay... Two coats of the onyx and it looks like an ebony fretboard with almost no sign of the inlay.

One tip with the minwax stuff... once I've let it sit over night i lightly buff it with steel wool and then put on a coat of Howard 's feed n wax... It gives it a mild sheen and protects the finish.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
Anyone put locking tuners on their RG8s yet? Thinking about putting some on mine when I get it and don't know what kind to get.

EDIT: didn't notice the post a few above this had locking tuners..

Latest posts

')