Let the RG8 Mods begin...

hand amputation

Reaction score
You can actually use the minwax express onyx to cover inlays... i have a 2004 LTD SC-607 and i couldn't stand how light the fretboard was nor the stupid smiley face inlay... Two coats of the onyx and it looks like an ebony fretboard with almost no sign of the inlay.

One tip with the minwax stuff... once I've let it sit over night i lightly buff it with steel wool and then put on a coat of Howard 's feed n wax... It gives it a mild sheen and protects the finish.

Thanks for the info. I don't mind covering the inlays on the neck, but I'd kinda like to keep the position markers on the side of the neck visible.

I'll check out the feed n wax.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Khai H8drusH

H8dstringer
Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive...

The Hipshot open back locking tuners
CAM00122_zps34bdab39.jpg

CAM00123_zps5e4cf5e7.jpg

The hipshot tuners, will they accomodate thicker gauge strings, i.e., >0.079"?
Btw, the mods are sweet!!

Khai H8drusH

H8dstringer
Reaction score
I believe the package said they will accommodate up to a .090 gauge string... I have a .080 on there for my low F.

Thks for the infos.. juz tt im buying the hipshot tuners from ebay n the advert stated that 0.079" is the max string gauge... hmm...:nuts:

Reaction score
I bought mine from the eBay seller sporthitech... They are a hipshot dealer and are very knowledgeable about them... I've bought three sets of tuners and bridges from them within no problems whatsoever

Reaction score
ok, hardware ordered, waiting time starts... now.

• 8 Ghost saddles + acouticphonic preamp + quickswitch
  • D-Activators 8 set in black (wanted them in white but waiting time was too long)
  • 1x 4 way blade switch
  • 2x mini DPDT on/on/on switch
  • 4x mini DPDT on/on switch
  • 2x concentric 500/500 Kohms pot
  • 2x .022 capacitors...
  • 1x battery box

Further mods will be:
  • Refinishing with a TAO based theme, or my kids hands all over it, or both
  • New machine heads from Hipshot.
  • Re-routing and drilling cavities for wiring installation and battery compartment, under bridge cavity routing for saddles' wires under bridge and bridge drilling.

Wiring will be like this:
  • Graphtech Quickswitch to blend mags/mix/piezos
  • Blade switch to 1.Neck/2.Neck+Bridge Parallel/3.Neck+bridge Serial/4.Bridge
  • For each pickup: 1 on/on/on switch for North Coil/Both Coils/South Coil + 1 on/on Switch for Serial/Parallel + 1 on/on switch for In Phase/Out Phase
  • Vol+tone for Mags
  • Vol+Tone for Piezos

This sums up a total of 7 mini switches+1 blade switch+2x concentric pots... huummm crazy sounds coming from there...

Khai H8drusH

H8dstringer
Reaction score
That 's exactly what i got and who i got it from... Message them and ask... Like i said i have a .080 for my low F and it fit in there perfectly.

Quik qns, mate : 1) 0.080 tuned to low E, will it b muddy n flabby? Or still packs a punch?
2) Ur 7th string gauge is a 0.062?

Thks in advance..

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I placed my order for a black RG8 today :)

What tuning do you guys use on these and what string gauges?

Considering the factory tuning is supposed to be half step below standard, 009s seem a bit on the thin side to me.

Reaction score
For half step down i use 9-11-16-26-36-46-64-80... I actually use the high strings and prefer to be able to bend them lol

ite89

Reaction score
I use regular 9's on the first 7 strings and an 80 on the low E. When I first got the guitar I was really frustrated by the really loose 8th string, so I bought an 80 and put in on the guitar (after some unwinding that is haha). I guess the best thing to do before switching out pickups is to 1. Change the strings 2. Disconnect the tone knob 3. Lower the pickup height 4. Intonate. Btw if any of you guys have the new SD's (nazgul/ sentient) i really do hope that it's gonna fit the RG8

Reaction score
I use regular 9's on the first 7 strings and an 80 on the low E. When I first got the guitar I was really frustrated by the really loose 8th string, so I bought an 80 and put in on the guitar (after some unwinding that is haha). I guess the best thing to do before switching out pickups is to 1. Change the strings 2. Disconnect the tone knob 3. Lower the pickup height 4. Intonate. Btw if any of you guys have the new SD's (nazgul/ sentient) i really do hope that it's gonna fit the RG8

This is why i pre plan my mods... The stock pickups were out of my RG8 the day i got it! Lol I actually just put some blackouts in mine and they sound great but i like my modded Dimarzio Paf 8's too. .. I guess I'll just hafta get a white one now to keep the blackouts in! :idea:

Latest posts

')