Let the RG8 Mods begin...

Mechanized

Reaction score
When you guys install the d activator, other than the extra room left over, do they slot right in as usual or do you have to mod them to stay in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarian

Reaction score
Awesome stuff guys!

Unfortunately had to ship mine back to Ibanez, as I found out after having a tech look at it there is a bulge from about the 13th fret to the 23rd causing buzzing all over the place. *sigh* Once it gets back though, the plan is to put on a white tree of life, pearloid pickguard, and possibly change the headstock to white, but might just keep it black though. Not sure what I'm going to do for pickups yet, as I haven't really been able to properly play it much due to the jacked up neck, but definitely needs an upgrade. Anyway, shooting for something like this:

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 205

RED_ROBOT

Reaction score
Installed a push - pull volume pot on mine (I've got one Lace Deathbar in the bridge position). And all of a sudden - WOW - after i pull the pot I've got an 8 string TELE:spock:
Highly recommended!

Zhysick

Reaction score
Well. Yesterday received my SD Nazgûl/Sentient combo.

Installed today.

Tested today.

Feeling like an orc in the battle of Helm when playing a single note... absolute destruction! This pickup is destructive!!

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pi...zg-l-sentient-8-string-combo.html#post3788734

And the pics if you only want to look but not read

1_IMG-20131031-WA0001.jpg

1_20131101_175737.jpg

1_20131101_175746.jpg

For the ones that want to know:

The pickups are direct retrofit for active routes but at least in my case it was ....ing hard to put the pickups in its place. The corners of the routing are more rounded than the pickups cover. But I feel the tight fit... Am I talking about guitars? Eh... well. Pushing hard the pickups entered and are a little bit hard to adjust the height but doable. I preferred to do this than sanding the route so lots of paint will fell off.

On the other side I must admit that hurts me a lot when I looked back the pickup... 20€ more for this cover?? For just this??

1_20131101_142812.jpg

The good about this is that the pickup can be disassembled to swap the magnet without major problems...

Reaction score
That is pretty lame... I just assumed that those covers would be epoxied on. You could just buy the regular passive pickups and get the plastic covers for like $4, drill your own holes and save some cashish.

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
Does anyone have ANY templates or sketches or WHATEVER for a pickguard? I really need one!

Or anyone that does pickguards for the RG8?

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score

Zhysick

Reaction score
Ups... something strange happened!

1_20131104_224426.jpg

Using the Sentient as bridge pup and the Nazgûl as the neck pup... AMAZING! Can't be happier!!! This is glory for me. Is the sound I was looking at... maybe if I knew this I would bought the Pegasus instead of Nazgûl for Alnico V in the neck but hell yeah! Its amazing anyways!!

Added an audio clip in the post about the pickups. In my last replay before this is the link so I will not repeat it here.

Now I am happy because of the stupid covers of SD without epoxy... I can change it for a "normal look" ;)

jeleopard

Reaction score
Idiot question time... How do you unwind a string to get it through a tuner? I don't have a drill. I suppose I could go home and drill a tuner though... what size drill bit would I use? Halp. :(

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
Drilling is easy, 1/8 bit or smaller to bore the tuner larger.

Takes 5 sec of actual drilling time and you're done and never have to unwind strings again.

Don't need to remove the tuner from the guitar either, leaving it installed makes this easier as the weight of the guitar will act like a vise/work-table and keep the tuner still while you drill.

jeleopard

Reaction score
I just ordered an .80 from Labella and requested they'd unwind it a bit to fit through the tuner. Think they will?

zombieritual

Reaction score
i found a drill bit that was slightly larger than the hole and just went for it. took literally 3 seconds and i can get at least a .90 in there now.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
It is, but it's way safer than drilling your tuners as someone who has never done it before.

Provided you have a decently steady hand, it's really simple. Use calipers (or just eyeball it) and drill straight through. I used a wood working bit and it was fine. You're removing less material then you'd think and I haven't had any structural/tuning issues on either guitar. I'm currently using an .082.

')