Let the RG8 Mods begin...

vick1000

Reaction score
Heyo,

Does anyone perchance know the wiring diagram for 2 Dimarzio humbuckers, 1 volume push/pull, 1 tone, 3 way switch with 6 positions (the stock one)? I'm googling and searching online but not getting any good results. The closest one I could find is from another sevenstring.org forum post, but the pickup selector is different from the stock one in the RG8 http://i.imgur.com/lL4zF5n.jpg

That's basically the same as the RG8 switch, just looks different. Any three way selector works the same.

Be aware though, if you wire the lead from the switch to the tone pot first (as in that diagram), the tone pot will act as a volume pot as well. That lead needs to go to the hot side of the volume pot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yousef

Reaction score
That's basically the same as the RG8 switch, just looks different. Any three way selector works the same.

Be aware though, if you wire the lead from the switch to the tone pot first (as in that diagram), the tone pot will act as a volume pot as well. That lead needs to go to the hot side of the volume pot.

Okay cool. Thanks. Thanks for the tip about the wiring! :hbang:

I think I'm just going to disconnect the tone knob with this guitar, and this diagram seems to fit what I want to do: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pr...uckers3-Way-Lever-Switch1-Volume0Tone001.html

redlol

Reaction score
http://postimg.org/image/f8x3vprb3/

Sorry for crappy cell phone picture, but that is my RG8 lefty, with a new dimarzio ionizer in the bridge, a big hole in the neck position, and a single 500k volume pot relocated to the tone pot's old position. The Ionizer, for those who may be curious, is so far in my opinion an excellent pickup. Very clear and very midsy and it really tightened up that low string even just running it thru amplitube 3 it sounds huge.

Simple, but a HUGE improvement already. I play it thru amplitube 3 for the moment, but I just picked up a mint condition Laney Ironheart 60 watt head, and honestly I cannot wait to hear how big this thing is going to sound thru it. I've ordered the matching 2x12 cab for the head, and it should be here this week.

lewis

Reaction score
for anyone interested this is a photoshop mockup of my RG8 plans.

RG8 White.jpg

Locking tuners already fitted (need to buy pearloid buttons)

Im vinyl wrapping the headstock white to colour match and then clear coat

Ebonize the fretboard and apply new vinyl dot inlays

Seymour Duncan Nazgul and Sentients to go in.

remove Tone, have 1 volume thats also push/push coil tap, plug hole

Black strap locks (already fitted) and white switch tip (already fitted) white speed knob.

Graphtech string saver saddles

Neutrik locking jack

Reaction score
2014_08_08_13_40_01.jpg

And here's mine...
Hipshot bridge, hipshot locking open tuners, Seymour duncan blackouts bridge,
tone pot replaced by a shadow killpot wired as volume pot, Gibson fast knob,
stock neck pickup and pickup selector not wired (existing only for covering holes), Dimarzio straplocks, custom bone nut, Gruvgear fretwraps.

DancingCloseToU

Reaction score

IanCBoss

Reaction score
Over the past month or so I've read this entire thread (all 78 pages top to bottom) and I must say there are some really talented modders on here that have turned these guitars into some really cool instruments.

That being said I have played the RG8 at Guitar Center on a few occasions and I have to say that 8's are too much for me personally at this point, but what this thread has done is inspire me to do some mods on my own LTD M-17.

Yousef

Reaction score
Guys need some assistance.

I wired my guitar according to the following diagram: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pro...e0Tone001.html

It weirdly works only in the in between sections of the 3 way selector, like in the 2 and 4 positions of a 5 way selector. I tried fidling around with it some more but then it stopped working completely.

2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 push pull, 3 way stock selector on the Ibanez rg8 (it has 8 poles). Anyone got a diagram?

Thanks.

EDIT: Figured it out nvm.

redlol

Reaction score
2014_08_08_13_40_01.jpg

And here's mine...
Hipshot bridge, hipshot locking open tuners, Seymour duncan blackouts bridge,
tone pot replaced by a shadow killpot wired as volume pot, Gibson fast knob,
stock neck pickup and pickup selector not wired (existing only for covering holes), Dimarzio straplocks, custom bone nut, Gruvgear fretwraps.

How do you like the hipshot over the original bridge? How was the installation( I think I read somewhere that holes need to be drilled?)?

Nour Ayasso

Reaction score
Over the past month or so I've read this entire thread (all 78 pages top to bottom) and I must say there are some really talented modders on here that have turned these guitars into some really cool instruments.

That being said I have played the RG8 at Guitar Center on a few occasions and I have to say that 8's are too much for me personally at this point, but what this thread has done is inspire me to do some mods on my own LTD M-17.

haha thats awesome dude i need to catch on this hahaha. And yeah modd= that thing up dude, then show us!

Reaction score
How do you like the hipshot over the original bridge? How was the installation( I think I read somewhere that holes need to be drilled?)?

The installation was done by a professional...he didn't need to open new holes, just widen a bit the existing ones, so the string hole matches the bridge holes...
It feels solid and i sense a nice increase on the attack as i'm playing, but the best of all is that i don't have any saddle screws scratching my palm anymore...
Installing the bridge cost me about 60$ but i didn't do any wood filling or painting to the guitar.
Only thing i used was two small screws to cover the two front holes that remain in front from the stock bridge.

Off the skyline

Reaction score
Hi Bros ! This is my new RG8 mods. I do the modding after buy this new one from Ebay!
Replace the finish with headgun but it's not easy as i think :(
I use 2 pieces of Ash (maybe) very thin and soft
https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net...=d76666a4c54b7cd29a486e20fd1e84ab&oe=547D4AD6
Re finish ash top :) without paint
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd....800_333444020153921_3898294291159421983_n.jpg
And make it more black and ... rustic :D I use only bridge pickup, one volume .
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd...._=1416414512_432a5baed443782d1217edde78b0cd3f
I'll take some final photo soon!!

Off the skyline

Reaction score
Hi Bros ! This is my new RG8 mods. I do the modding after buy this new one from Ebay!
Replace the finish with headgun but it's not easy as i think :(
I use 2 pieces of Ash (maybe) very thin and soft
10565141_333444030153920_924558129972465002_n.jpg

Re finish ash top without paint :)
10583800_333444020153921_3898294291159421983_n.jpg

And make it more black and ... rustic I use only bridge pickup, one volume :D
10614168_333444143487242_5091916751085497037_n.jpg

I'll take some final photo soon!!

Latest posts

')