Let the RG8 Mods begin...

mr coffee

Reaction score
I didn't keep my RG8 long enough to dye, but I used Fiebings USMC Black leather dye which I already had on hand to dye the fretboard of my Gretsch. While it absorbed into the fretboard readily, I found that it wiped right off of the inlays.

-m

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I used the minwax wood stain. It's like 4 bucks for a can. Slather it on, wait about 5 min or so and take an eraser and wipe your inlays off.

Bobo

Reaction score
I was considering getting a RG8 (or RG8004 since it looks like the same guitar just $70 cheaper with offset dot inlays) sanding it down and staining it, thought it could look pretty cool. I saw this used RG8 on GC, but it doesn't match what I'd want. I have an old cheap stained mahogany 6 string RG that looks much better to me than this. Is this used one at GC maybe basswood instead of mahogany? Doesn't look very grainy or porous.

Used Ibanez RG8 8 String Solid Body Electric Guitar | Guitar Center

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
I was considering getting a RG8 (or RG8004 since it looks like the same guitar just $70 cheaper with offset dot inlays) sanding it down and staining it, thought it could look pretty cool. I saw this used RG8 on GC, but it doesn't match what I'd want. I have an old cheap stained mahogany 6 string RG that looks much better to me than this. Is this used one at GC maybe basswood instead of mahogany? Doesn't look very grainy or porous.

Used Ibanez RG8 8 String Solid Body Electric Guitar | Guitar Center

The one you listed is virtually identical to the RG8 i just picked up from GC used site...

Not too sure where your going with the wood identification from those pics...? Unless your looking at an RG8WNF version... But the link you provided shows the gloss black.

The RG8 is a mahogany body with a rosewood fingerboard, walnut and maple 5 pc neck.

What would you want from an entry level 8 stringer? IMHO... You absolutely cannot go wrong picking it up. Is it your first ERG / 8? Besides... One hell of a platform to mod out and you didnt spend a ton of $$ on to get.

Just my :2c:

metale

Reaction score
Wow, I feel pretty dumb right now. I've been researching RG8s for some time, and only now did I notice that the regular RG8 is mahogany and not basswood...

Bobo

Reaction score
The one you listed is virtually identical to the RG8 i just picked up from GC used site...

Not too sure where your going with the wood identification from those pics...? Unless your looking at an RG8WNF version... But the link you provided shows the gloss black.

The RG8 is a mahogany body with a rosewood fingerboard, walnut and maple 5 pc neck.

What would you want from an entry level 8 stringer? IMHO... You absolutely cannot go wrong picking it up. Is it your first ERG / 8? Besides... One hell of a platform to mod out and you didnt spend a ton of $$ on to get.

Just my :2c:

Maybe the wrong link is popping up for you for some reason, but the one I see is a used one that looks like it's been stripped and stained. It looks more like basswood to me going by pics of other stained basswood bodies I've seen.

The RG8WNF is what I'm looking for, didn't realize they had that model. I've been a bit confused about what the woods are in these guitars and also whether they are different for the RG8's vs the RG8004's.

It'll be my first 8 string, and some modding is intriguing...never really done any of it but it feels like I need to get with the program lol.

Thanks!

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
Maybe the wrong link is popping up for you for some reason, but the one I see is a used one that looks like it's been stripped and stained. It looks more like basswood to me going by pics of other stained basswood bodies I've seen.

The RG8WNF is what I'm looking for, didn't realize they had that model. I've been a bit confused about what the woods are in these guitars and also whether they are different for the RG8's vs the RG8004's.

It'll be my first 8 string, and some modding is intriguing...never really done any of it but it feels like I need to get with the program lol.

Thanks!

No worries bud... We all start somewhere. Yeah the link is showing a gloss black one.

Yes there a "Walnut Flat" named option... But its truly stained mahogany. Theres pictures earlier in this thread of somone who got one. Very nice if you ask me... I was originally going to go with that option till i found mine at a steal.

The RG8 framework is excellent for modding out. Very comfortable to play and super smooth even for the used ones. Youll be very happy with it.

Hold up guys, the only RG8 that is Mahogany is the RG8 Walnut coloured one. The black ones and white ones and the 8004's are all Basswood. The walnut ones and poplar burled ones are mahogany. Just thought I'd let you all know.

Well then thats really heavy damn basswood! At least on mine...

All the specs ive looked up show mahogany. Im going to be sanding mine to the wood here shortly... Obviously ill be posting pics here for the modifications... Yall are gonna shizz bricks when its done!! :hbang:

@ bobo... Regardless... Ive owned an Agile (which are very nice as well... Just not my spec liking is why i sold it), schecters feel like baseball bats... I havent had a chance to try any "designer / custom 8's"... And im no "brand whore"... But the RG8 is DEFINITELY a mark in the win column!!

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
My black one was labeled as Basswood when I bought it, if there was a spec change, it must have been recent.

It is heavy though.

mr coffee

Reaction score
The unfinished area in the neck pocket of my RG8004 silverburst also appeared to be basswood.

It seems that most RG8s have been satisfactory, but as with most guitars really, I would recommend putting your hands on it if possible before buying, and make sure the return policy is acceptable.

-m

Ron Head

keep calm raise hell
Reaction score
My RG8 III RNHD , with pickguard :

ron-head-albums-my-gear-picture10080-rg8-iii-rnhd-mirror-style-pickguard.jpg

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
My RG8 III RNHD , with pickguard :

ron-head-albums-my-gear-picture10080-rg8-iii-rnhd-mirror-style-pickguard.jpg

RON!!! PLEASE HELP ME!! Is that a locking nut on a base model RG8??! I am in DESPERATE need of one and want to ensure I grab the correct size.

I know the Kahler on is too wide and certain Ibby models are too small... Do you have any info on where to order / what to order?

Any help is appreciated!!:hbang:

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
My black one was labeled as Basswood when I bought it, if there was a spec change, it must have been recent.

It is heavy though.

The first RG8 where Basswood, mine is also basswood. They changed to mahogany 1 or 2 years ago (maybe last year?)...

The unfinished area in the neck pocket of my RG8004 silverburst also appeared to be basswood.

It seems that most RG8s have been satisfactory, but as with most guitars really, I would recommend putting your hands on it if possible before buying, and make sure the return policy is acceptable.

-m

Taken DIRECTLY from Ibanez.com... selecting "RG Models", "Standard", "RG8"...

SPEC

Neck Type: Wizard II-8 5pc Maple/Walnut neck
Body: Mahogany body
Fretboard: Rosewood fretboard w/White dot inlay
Fret: Jumbo frets
Bridge: Fixed bridge
Neck Pickup: IBZ-8 (H) neck pickup (Passive/Ceramic)
Bridge Pickup: IBZ-8 (H) bridge pickup (Passive/Ceramic)
Factory Tuning: 1D#, 2A#, 3F#, 4C#, 5G#, 6D#, 7A#, 8F
String Gauge: .009/.011/.016/.024/.032/.042/.054/.065
Hardware Color: Black

I am definitely not going to open "Pandora's box" on the tonewood debate... God knows that's :deadhrse: or will I disagree with what you guys are finding, which IMHO would be false advertising...

Not that it really matters unless your looking for a nice figured wood for aesthetics...

As previously posted... mine is about to face the almighty palm sander and ill have pics up...

Ron Head

keep calm raise hell
Reaction score
RON!!! PLEASE HELP ME!! Is that a locking nut on a base model RG8??! I am in DESPERATE need of one and want to ensure I grab the correct size.

I know the Kahler on is too wide and certain Ibby models are too small... Do you have any info on where to order / what to order?

Any help is appreciated!!:hbang:

hey man , yeah , you'll definatly should get the original Ibanez part with the number shown on the picture ( i've only stored the original RG8 nuts in that bag ... ) :

IMG_1040_zps8c5e80af.jpg

the included Floyd nut is a bit to small , the Kahler is definately to wide ; in this picture a comparison on all these nuts , with the Ibanez original part nut installed there :

IMG_1038_zps34f00fa8.jpg

search on this number 2LN1MAA001 good luck !

Reaction score
Taken DIRECTLY from Ibanez.com... selecting "RG Models", "Standard", "RG8"...

SPEC

Neck Type: Wizard II-8 5pc Maple/Walnut neck
Body: Mahogany body
Fretboard: Rosewood fretboard w/White dot inlay
Fret: Jumbo frets
Bridge: Fixed bridge
Neck Pickup: IBZ-8 (H) neck pickup (Passive/Ceramic)
Bridge Pickup: IBZ-8 (H) bridge pickup (Passive/Ceramic)
Factory Tuning: 1D#, 2A#, 3F#, 4C#, 5G#, 6D#, 7A#, 8F
String Gauge: .009/.011/.016/.024/.032/.042/.054/.065
Hardware Color: Black

I was not interested in opening that pandora box, only giving some info on what woods are on what guitars. As I said before, mine is basswood and I have it for 3 to 4 years. I noticed that after I got mine, Ibanez started to use mahogany for RG8s and also for some RG7s...

')