Let the RG8 Mods begin...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blackzar84

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Sorry if I might be posting in the wrong thread, but this seems like the place to be for what I need.

I recently purchased an RG8PB Sapphire Blue, awesome guitar I totally love it but boy the pups are so bad I can't even describe it.

They should be both ceramic IBZ 8 passive pups.

Now I was thinking of replacing the bridge pup with an EMG 808x.
Active and passive can't mix up, so I though ok, my axe as 1 volume and 1 tone, I get rid of the tone, which seems useless anyways and in its place, I can then put the volume for the EMG.

I am missing though some wiring diagrams, and Ibanez Europe waved me off saying they should have come with the guitar (they didn't) and that anyways they don't have them.

Anybody can help somehow?

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
^ in theory it sounds ok...but someone here with more electrical know-how will probably help you figure it out.

not sure how you would wire up the 3 way switch or if it can be used.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Sorry if I might be posting in the wrong thread, but this seems like the place to be for what I need.

I recently purchased an RG8PB Sapphire Blue, awesome guitar I totally love it but boy the pups are so bad I can't even describe it.

They should be both ceramic IBZ 8 passive pups.

Now I was thinking of replacing the bridge pup with an EMG 808x.
Active and passive can't mix up, so I though ok, my axe as 1 volume and 1 tone, I get rid of the tone, which seems useless anyways and in its place, I can then put the volume for the EMG.

I am missing though some wiring diagrams, and Ibanez Europe waved me off saying they should have come with the guitar (they didn't) and that anyways they don't have them.

Anybody can help somehow?

Take it to a luthier/tech.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problem mixing passive and active, as long as they don't share any pots (as you need 25k for active and 500k for passive). I remember looking into it once, just Google for wiring diagrams, they're out there.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problem mixing passive and active, as long as they don't share any pots (as you need 25k for active and 500k for passive). I remember looking into it once, just Google for wiring diagrams, they're out there.

what about the 3 way switch?

blackzar84

Reaction score
IbVqktr.jpg
what about the 3 way switch?

I figured that out by looking at wiring diagrams on the internet, I am not quite sure about the jack socket of the guitar and the ground.

partialdeafness

Reaction score

lewis

Reaction score
Thought I'd break up the constant black of the headstock. I did only one side cause it's just parts I had sitting in a box, maybe I'll find some lefty tuners.
I though combing black and chrome hardware created a cool effect. All chrome just looked cheap.

Also, curious if anyone has tried one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162302163985?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I'm probably going to give it a try cause its so cheap.

the ebay link just sends me to ebays home page. Whats the item there you wanted us to check out?

lewis

Reaction score
Trying again:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BQLZR-Black-8-String-Fixed-Bridge-Replacement-for-Electric-Guitar-with-Screw-/162302163985?hash=item25c9f67c11:g:eek:BIAAOSw4GVYPnX-

If that doesn't work, it can be found by search "8 string guitar bridge." I'm sure its the only one under $13 shipped

it worked this time. Im sure that wont line up and fit properly. Or if it does it will need new screw holes or something and will likely show the previous holes in the body etc

why are you set on replacing the stock bridge? its pretty good tbh.

blackzar84

Reaction score
So guys, this is the guitar I was talking about.
Yesterday I read on the internet some good pieces of advice on how to get a djent tone and what influences it mainly.

So far I've managed some steps ahead, not quite there though.
My questions are:

1. How likely is my sound to improve if I swap the standard IBZ8 bridge ceramic pickup with an EMG 808 or 808x? Not only djent-tone-wise but also noise-wise.
  2. I now have a Joyo vintage overdrive to push and tighten the sound up, but I fill there is not much difference made, what your suggestions in terms of what pedal could I get to replace this ?
Might be worth mentioning, for some reason my Soldano SLO100 hand made clone, at the moment djents better with an LTD EC256 CH in drop C, then with my 8 string...

Attachments

• 2017-03-15_14-28-13.jpg
    2017-03-15_14-28-13.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 88

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
So guys, this is the guitar I was talking about.
Yesterday I read on the internet some good pieces of advice on how to get a djent tone and what influences it mainly.

So far I've managed some steps ahead, not quite there though.
My questions are:

1. How likely is my sound to improve if I swap the standard IBZ8 bridge ceramic pickup with an EMG 808 or 808x? Not only djent-tone-wise but also noise-wise.
  2. I now have a Joyo vintage overdrive to push and tighten the sound up, but I fill there is not much difference made, what your suggestions in terms of what pedal could I get to replace this ?
Might be worth mentioning, for some reason my Soldano SLO100 hand made clone, at the moment djents better with an LTD EC256 CH in drop C, then with my 8 string...

push the mids on your amp more. mids are most important part of getting a djenty sound imo. Also where you mute on the bridge will help with getting the right sound.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I got that in the pocket already, and it worked at least partially. But what about my questions? :)

the 808x will definitely do djent, so would the 57/66-8 set (though they are warmer/ rounder in the low end fyi).I'd avoid the 808 unless you want to run the 18v mod, which is unnecessary with the 808x imo. If you're dead set on running actives then the emgs will do just fine, though a lot of people seem to be enjoying fishman moderns (they also seem to be the most versatile active on the market).
Personally I think you can't go wrong with a good set of passives.
The Duncan Alpha/Omega set or Pegasus/Sentient set would work well for you (or a deathbucker/x-bar combo). Bare Knuckle Aftermaths are also known to work quite well in mahogany and will definitely give you a djenty sound.
Depending on how much versatility you want I'd go with the alpha/omega set or or the deathbucker/x-bar combo. The lace pickups are the clearest pickups I've ever used. The omega bridge is also pretty clear. It's clearer than both the ceramic warpig and m8 in my current setup.

partialdeafness

Reaction score
it worked this time. Im sure that wont line up and fit properly. Or if it does it will need new screw holes or something and will likely show the previous holes in the body etc

why are you set on replacing the stock bridge? its pretty good tbh.
The stock definitely works, it's just a bit too big visually and I like modding stuff. Though the payback for effort may me lower than the f#!

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Yeah it'll work. Get a new stereo output jack so your battery only draws power when plugged in, and wire the EMG to a 25k vol pot and keep the neck pickup wired to the current volume pot.

Latest posts

')