Let the RG8 Mods begin...

blackzar84

Reaction score
the 808x will definitely do djent, so would the 57/66-8 set (though they are warmer/ rounder in the low end fyi).I'd avoid the 808 unless you want to run the 18v mod, which is unnecessary with the 808x imo. If you're dead set on running actives then the emgs will do just fine, though a lot of people seem to be enjoying fishman moderns (they also seem to be the most versatile active on the market).
Personally I think you can't go wrong with a good set of passives.
The Duncan Alpha/Omega set or Pegasus/Sentient set would work well for you (or a deathbucker/x-bar combo). Bare Knuckle Aftermaths are also known to work quite well in mahogany and will definitely give you a djenty sound.
Depending on how much versatility you want I'd go with the alpha/omega set or or the deathbucker/x-bar combo. The lace pickups are the clearest pickups I've ever used. The omega bridge is also pretty clear. It's clearer than both the ceramic warpig and m8 in my current setup.

I am not really dead set on running actives, but I have limited budget, just 100 bucks, which here in the Netherlands allows me to buy an EMG 808x.
To be honest I'd rather go for some good passive pick up but there are 3 issues:

1 - Budget, most of 8 string non active pickups are way above budget.
2 - My RG8PB has active style pick ups even though they are passive, I got the measure and the routing inside is smaller than what a standard pickup would require, that means that I would have to either fix it myself (which I am perfectly capable of) or pay somebody.
3- I don't really know what I want, meaning I know what I want it to sounds like, I have no idea how to get there.

This is my gear:

I own a Soldano SLO100 Clone, based on the sloclone project. Great sounding amp, which though is not high gain, still loads of gain, but not really maybe like a mesa or peaveys, engls and so on.

3 guitars, a hand made swap ash/maple 6 string with ceramic hand made pups, and LTD EC256 with LH150s and the 8.

The guitar which sound the best to my taste is the cheapest...the LTD!!!
It's warm, it's versatile, it has clarity, it freaking djents even...

So yeah, my idea would be get those LH150 reproduced on the other 6 and the 8 strings altogether, first of all to get my own tone, second of all to get a tone I really really like.

Bad news is, LH150s specs are nowhere to be found...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I am not really dead set on running actives, but I have limited budget, just 100 bucks, which here in the Netherlands allows me to buy an EMG 808x.
To be honest I'd rather go for some good passive pick up but there are 3 issues:

1 - Budget, most of 8 string non active pickups are way above budget.
2 - My RG8PB has active style pick ups even though they are passive, I got the measure and the routing inside is smaller than what a standard pickup would require, that means that I would have to either fix it myself (which I am perfectly capable of) or pay somebody.
3- I don't really know what I want, meaning I know what I want it to sounds like, I have no idea how to get there.

This is my gear:

I own a Soldano SLO100 Clone, based on the sloclone project. Great sounding amp, which though is not high gain, still loads of gain, but not really maybe like a mesa or peaveys, engls and so on.

3 guitars, a hand made swap ash/maple 6 string with ceramic hand made pups, and LTD EC256 with LH150s and the 8.

The guitar which sound the best to my taste is the cheapest...the LTD!!!
It's warm, it's versatile, it has clarity, it freaking djents even...

So yeah, my idea would be get those LH150 reproduced on the other 6 and the 8 strings altogether, first of all to get my own tone, second of all to get a tone I really really like.

Bad news is, LH150s specs are nowhere to be found...

if all you can afford right now is the emgs then go ahead. If you're not in any big hurry to upgrade, I'd still recommend saving up a bit and getting some passives. :2c:

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
the 808x will definitely do djent, so would the 57/66-8 set (though they are warmer/ rounder in the low end fyi).I'd avoid the 808 unless you want to run the 18v mod, which is unnecessary with the 808x imo. If you're dead set on running actives then the emgs will do just fine, though a lot of people seem to be enjoying fishman moderns (they also seem to be the most versatile active on the market).
Personally I think you can't go wrong with a good set of passives.
The Duncan Alpha/Omega set or Pegasus/Sentient set would work well for you (or a deathbucker/x-bar combo). Bare Knuckle Aftermaths are also known to work quite well in mahogany and will definitely give you a djenty sound.
Depending on how much versatility you want I'd go with the alpha/omega set or or the deathbucker/x-bar combo. The lace pickups are the clearest pickups I've ever used. The omega bridge is also pretty clear. It's clearer than both the ceramic warpig and m8 in my current setup.

Thinking about doing a full Deathbucker setup, neck and bridge. Thoughts?

vick1000

Reaction score
I liked the 808x in my RG8, and now have one in my RG852. They are very versatile, and can be dialed in to meet just about any need.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
I've heard people having success with it, though you lose the versatility you'd get with an x-bar. But hey, you do you bro. Let me know how it works out.

I was talking with Reggie, one of the Lace Techs via email about it. He sort of recommended the dual Deathbar setup because he claimed that some customers had problems with the difference in output between them.

And I meant to say Deathbar in the original post, just to clarify. Though I'm guessing you knew what I meant.

blackzar84

Reaction score
Hola Fellas,
I was about to sell my RG8PB until I purchased an Engl Powerball, what a freaking monster of an amp!!!

I was considering swapping the sucky IBZ pups for EMG 808/808x.

Was wondering if you fellas can give me any advice on what configuration to follow. What I have in mind for now is:
  • Configuration 1
    • Neck: EMG 808 standard
    • Bridge: EMG 808x
  • Configuration 2
    • Neck: EMG 808x
My goal is to get a really heavy djenty tone at the neck, and a beautiful yet clear sound for cleans and leads on the neck.
At the moment with the IBZs the bridge is acceptable, djents decently but doesn't impress me, while the neck is just awful, muddy and swollen to a point I really don't like.
Cleans are nothing special, quite cheap sounding to be honest.

Might be useful mentioning that EMG is my only option at the moment.

blackzar84

Reaction score
Hola Fellas,
I was about to sell my RG8PB until I purchased an Engl Powerball, what a freaking monster of an amp!!!

I was considering swapping the sucky IBZ pups for EMG 808/808x.

Was wondering if you fellas can give me any advice on what configuration to follow. What I have in mind for now is:
  • Configuration 1
    • Neck: EMG 808 standard
  • Configuration 2
    • Neck: EMG 808x
My goal is to get a really heavy djenty tone at the neck, and a beautiful yet clear sound for cleans and leads on the neck.
At the moment with the IBZs the bridge is acceptable, djents decently but doesn't impress me, while the neck is just awful, muddy and swollen to a point I really don't like.
Cleans are nothing special, quite cheap sounding to be honest.

Might be useful mentioning that EMG is my only option at the moment.

In the end I've decided to go for Duncans, as the routing on my RG allows also passive mounts. Now I can't quite make my mind up between:

Nazgul
Pegasus
Black Winter

gujukal

Reaction score
In the end I've decided to go for Duncans, as the routing on my RG allows also passive mounts. Now I can't quite make my mind up between:

Nazgul
Pegasus
Black Winter

I've heard great things about all of them, Nazgul is probably the most djenty sounding, but people seem to really like Pegasus for low tunings.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
It's been a slow-going process to get this with a finish on it, but it's starting to come along nicely.
Floyd8FR_Burst.jpg

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Anyone look into how Fishman Fluence would work out in an rg8? I gather that figuring out the battery pack install would be a hassle, but what about the actual fit of the pickups?

domsch1988

Reaction score
Anyone look into how Fishman Fluence would work out in an rg8? I gather that figuring out the battery pack install would be a hassle, but what about the actual fit of the pickups?

I'd be interested in that too :yesway:

Reaction score
Hi, as M3CHK1LLA suggested, this is my entry for this thread:

List of the mods:
-New paint (I chose orange, because most of my guitars are blue or green, so I wanted something very different, and uncommon. It's also a good match for the rosewood fretboard and black hardware.)
-New pickguard I built from a blank sheet of pearloid material
-New electronic (Dimarzio Ionizer with 1 volume and 1 switch to change the pickup from parallel to series)

19021935_10213251132849755_359753278_n.jpg
19022139_10213251133169763_988296257_n.jpg

19022226_10213251133329767_1453367866_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hi, as M3CHK1LLA suggested, this is my entry for this thread:

List of the mods:
-New paint (I chose orange, because most of my guitars are blue or green, so I wanted something very different, and uncommon. It's also a good match for the rosewood fretboard and black hardware.)
-New pickguard I built from a blank sheet of pearloid material
-New electronic (Dimarzio Ionizer with 1 volume and 1 switch to change the pickup from parallel to series)

19021935_10213251132849755_359753278_n.jpg
19022139_10213251133169763_988296257_n.jpg

19022226_10213251133329767_1453367866_n.jpg
You did an incredible job with that. I am doing something similar in execution but different colors; I don't think mine will turn out nearly as nice as yours.

Great work.

Reaction score
You did an incredible job with that. I am doing something similar in execution but different colors; I don't think mine will turn out nearly as nice as yours.

Great work.

Thanks ^_^ ! I'm sure you will get a good result, juste take your time (I mean, really), and make sure you have a clear vision of your project in your mind. And don't be afraid to make mistakes, most of the time it can be fixed, and that's how you learn anyway...

Latest posts

')