- GRANKOR
Reaction score
no order

Pink Floyd
Type O Negative
Smashing Pumpkins
Devin Townsend
Led Zeppelin

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rosal76

Reaction score
^ Discuss "why" we like a particular band or what they are doing nowdays??? :scratch:

If so, my first discussion for a favorite band would have to go to Cannibal corpse. They are the only band that I like who have always been consistent with what they are doing from day one and have also evolved from a technical standpoint. We can thank Pat O'brien for that.

IMHO, they have so many styles in their songs. As far as riffs, they have played old school death, thrash, hyper fast, slow, mid-tempo, technical, groovy etc, etc, etc. As far as their solos, same thing, super chaotic to some having structure (yes, it's true).

They may not have the most technically challenging riffs like Necrophagist and Obscura and not have the most memorable solos like Trey Azagthoth from Morbid angel and Chuck Schuldiner from Death, but for the music they (Cannibal) do play, it's enough for fans to understand and enjoy. :cool:

TVasquez96

Reaction score
No specific order:

Stick To Your Guns (for the lyrics, not guitar work)
Motionless In White
The Black Dahlia Murder
Between The Buried And Me
Periphery
For Today
Oh, Sleeper
This Or The Apocalypse
The Color Morale (again, lyrics, not guitar work)
Guthrie Govan
After The Burial
Born Of Osiris (first band I listened to that can be considered prog)
Skillet
Flyleaf
Amon Amarth
Dark Tranquility
Children Of Bodom (Alexi is who inspired me to play guitar)
Molotov Solution
Eluveitie
Revocation
As I Lay Dying (one of the first metal bands I listened to)
Parkway Drive
The Word Alive

The list goes on...

dax21

Reaction score

:yesway:

Their last two albums are not as great as older ones but it's still better than most of the things out there.
I personally wouldn't change a single note on Since and ATWW, that's pretty much as perfect as metal can get for me. :)

Breakdown

Reaction score
1. Killswitch Engage
2. Bring me the Horizon (Suicide Season - Present)
3. Periphery
4. Underoath
5. A Day To Remember
6. Asking Alexandria
7. Lamb of God
8. Old Fall Out Boy
9. Circa Survive
10. Of Mice & Men
11. Guthrie Govan
No order except for killswitch and Bring me the Horizon.

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
In no order
Whitechapel
La Dispute
A Day To Remember
The Used
Silverstein
Suicide Silence
Make Them Suffer
Confession
Eyes Set To Kill
Liferuiner
5 Finger Death Punch
Bermuda
Ennui Breathes Malice
Anti Flag
Rise Against
Shinedown
Senses Fail
Stick To Your Guns
3 Days Grace
The Word Alive
Hacktivist
Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows
The Browning
Above This
The Acacia Strain
As Blood Runs Black
Bullet For My Valentine
Sheltered By Skies
Currents (local band. (broke up like a week ago) if you want I can provide links.)
My City, My Secret

I've also been getting into Cattle Decapitiation, Cannibal Corpse, Ice Nine Kills, and Parkway Drive recently.

Reaction score
I know xD

But I've just recently listened to Meshuggah, Avenged Sevenfold, etc.

I forgot to mention other bands like Ashes of Your Enemy and Arch Enemy :/

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
In no particular order:

Alice In Chains
Soundgarden
Devin Townsend + all associated side projects/bands/e.t.c
Primus
Textures
Frank Zappa
Opeth
Nine Inch Nails
Ministry
Porcupine Tree
Radiohead
Dillinger Escape Plan
Bjork
Portishead
Massive Attack
American Head Charge
Darren Korb
Deftones
Queens of the Stone Age
Ulver
Ihsahn
Reel Big Fish
Guthrie Govan
The Berzerker

DeadWeight

New Age Bogan
Reaction score
In no particular order...

-Parkway Drive
-Northlane
-Periphery
-August Burns Red
-Between the Buried and Me
-Born of Osiris
-Chelsea Grin
-The Contortionist
-Within the Ruins
-After the Burial
-Karnivool
-Tesseract

Lots of others too, too many to list.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
no order

Pink Floyd
Type O Negative
Smashing Pumpkins
Devin Townsend
Led Zeppelin

I like this list. A Few of mine....

EDIT: i'm bored, so here's my discussion part of this..

Tool - not much to discuss, they are an amazing band, never put out any filler, polyrhythms, Danny Carey..
Pink Floyd - Collected every album as a teenager. Pioneers of progresive music. Some amazing start to finish albums
Metallica - Grew up with Metallica. More of a family than a band. Sure they've put out some subpar stuff, but every concert i've been to has been an amazing experience
Opeth - Intro to growling vocals. Harlequin Forest exemplifies everthing i dig about them. Last time i saw them live they were spot on
Grateful Dead - 8 hours driving around with 2 friends cheesing out in the middle of the night as a teenager listening to them i was hooked for 10 solid years
Hatebreed - Motivational Speaker Rock. Good when you need a kick in the ass
Danzig - Cool imagery, catchy tunes, Danzig II has an awesome vibe
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream, 'nuff said

Last edited:

isispelican

Reaction score
Nobuo Uematsu
Isis
Pelican
Mike Patton
Mastodon
Arcturus
Igorrr
Meshuggah
Periphery
Akiko Shikata
Animals as Leaders
Mutyumu
Pain of Salvation
Kyuss
Skalpel
Abney Park
System of a Down
Cult of Luna
Gojira
Akira Yamaoka
Gorillaz

jehu12141987

Reaction score
No order:
Buckethead
Coheed and Cambria
Hiromi
BTBAM
Trioscapes
A Perfect Circle
John Mark Mcmillan
Antoine Dufour
Jon Gomm
Phil Collins
The Aristocrats
Porcupine Tree
Steven Wilson.

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
Slipknot
Stone Sour
Prince (Any group he was with)
W.A.S.P
Queens of the Stone Age
Nine Inch Nails
Alice In Chains
Mastodon
Dr. Hook
Johnny Horton
ABBA
David Bowie
Marilyn Manson
Bad Religion
Hall & Oates

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Chon - My absolute favorite band. Everything they write just comes out so perfectly. It's happy, groovy, tasty, and technical as ..... Takes so many listens to honestly digest everything about a song they write.

Born Of Osiris - One of the bigger (If not the biggest) influences on my playing and composition style. BOO just knows how to write captivating, fun, bouncy, catchy, sick riffs and catchy, amazing melodies.

The Contortionist - ..... This band is just too good in every regard. It took me forever to get into them, and even longer for me to get into Intrinsic (About 20 forced listens) but holy Jesus on a stick. TC is probably one of the most talented bands today. Everything they write is either so extraordinarily heavy or ridiculously soothing and gorgeous. Like Robby told me once, the main focus in TC is contrast. And it's rather apparent that they do a monstrous job of it.

Monuments - Monuments know how to write the best, fast paced, groovy, compelling, heavy riffs. Every song they have just makes you want to bang your head and ....ing punchy something, it's so damn good.

Periphery - Periphery are a fantastic band, and although I don't listen to them very often, their music is always incredible. The way the dudes have a sense of melody is just remarkable and the way they write riffs and leads is just absurd to me. Just listen to like "All New Materials" or "The Gods Must Be Crazy"

The Faceless - The Faceless are ridiculous. Just straight up, nonsensically ridiculous. Their music has that perfect balance of crazy technicality, heaviness, catchiness, and weirdness. And they do it with such grace and ease that it's just mind blowing to me.

Coheed And Cambria - Coheed are a common band in many metal dude's top 10 (or 15 in this case) and that's for a reason. Coheed are one of the only bands that have managed to walk a fine line between pop, punk, alternative rock, progressive rock, metal, and almost everything between. Their music has that element that makes it appealing to everyone and I would say even more so to the educated music listener.

Tesseract - Tesseract are a wonderful band. They have that awesome groovy, spacey atmosphere with such crazy epic parts right at the exact moments that make it hit hardest. Jay is definitely one of my favorite drummers as well, with some of the sickest fills I think I've ever heard.

Veil Of Maya - Veil are also a huge influence on my playing, not that I listen to them as much these days as I used to. But their style still brings me back to it in love just the same every time. Songs like "Pillars", "Codex", and "Mowgli" are among my favorites in the world.

Within The Ruins - Within The Ruins have a great formula going for them. While they might suffer a little bit for almost over using that formula, it seems to work pretty well. Basically, it's really really technical deathcore. The technicality though, comes in gorgeous harmonized melodies. Along with these come grooves and heavy sections enough to impress anyone.

David Maxim Micic - Jesus, David is so good. Holy hell. Like, seriously, guys. Listen to this dude's phrasing. He's honestly probably my favorite player along with Mario from Chon, Lee from BOO, and Robby from TC. Every lead he writes just has the most moving atmosphere and makes you stop what you're doing and simply marvel in how ridiculous he is.

Meshuggah - Meshuggah are the kings of this style, no doubt. They practically started it, and it shows. Their music is a lot different than most new "djent" bands though. Meshuggah is more based around grooving, grinding, heavy, droning, mesmerizing riffs, which I personally adore.

The Ocean - The Ocean is basically one of those bands that, regardless of how much you like them, get the title of "Better than anything else you listen to" simply because of how ....ing genius they are. It's really almost impossible to explain, so just go listen to their double album "Heliocentric" and "Anthropocentric" all the way through.

Karnivool - Karnivool are another one of those bands like The Ocean but they're a little easier to describe. Karnivool started out as more of a Nu metal band than anything and have since capitalized on their brand of atmospheric Nu-metal-ish hard rock on Sound Awake. The way it sounds might make it seem as if it would clumsily work it's way through the tracks on SA but it turns out to actually be one of the most spectacular listens you will ever experience.

Danza/Glass Cloud Yeah, these are two separate bands but you all know they can be grouped together like this cause Josh Travis basically controls them both. Danza is pretty much the heaviest band ever in my opinion. Their music captures the whole idea of anger and rage in a way that no other band has ever done before I think. It's just ridiculously heavy, primal music. And it's technical too. Ridiculously fun technical, which is what makes Danza so interesting. Glass Cloud, on the other hand, while quite more simplistic and melodic, still captures a similar atmosphere while also bringing in more emotional elements, which I find to be very attractive to listen to.

Chuck

Reaction score
In no particular order, except #1:

Misery Signals
Rush
Foo Fighters
Architects
Opeth
Meshuggah
The Contortionist
Pink Floyd
Johnny Truant
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Counterparts
Periphery
August Burns Red
Underoath
The Police
Death
The Human Abstract
The Faceless
After the Burial
Scale the Summit
Deftones
Corelia
Thrice
Oh, Sleeper
The Safety Fire

and many many more

Bennykins

Reaction score
I'm just going to list one:

IQ

Why? Cause from the first time I heard the opening of The Wrong Side of Weird I was hooked. Just something about them that really appeals to me.

smeat

Here's to the ages
Reaction score
If I had to choose an absolute favorite, it would be Tera Melos. Everything they do amazes me.

Other than that, some favorites in no order:

True Widow
Oceansize
Lightning Bolt
Carson McWhirter
Fugazi
Radiohead
Pelican
Russian Circles
Hella
Chelsea Wolfe
Don Caballero