Let's discuss Iron Maiden

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
Ok, someone said they lost the "gasoline in there blood". Great analogy! I'm hung over so that person will just have to accept that I read that comment ;)
7th son is a good album, and is the marker for the downfall or lyrics and just over all hunger. All of the albums since had some good songs, but that's just it, " they had some GOOD songs". For me it never was just some "good" songs, they used to all rock! They started writing songs that to me just felt like abunch or rubish, semi pointless, and the chorus would be repeated far to many times. You read through the lyrics in 1 minute, and the remaining 5 to 8 minutes of the song was just repeating itself for the sake of length.

Please don't get me wrong I love Maiden, it just makes me sad to see that there has come a day when they are loosing steam, almost making albums for the sake of making albums. Sometimes bands need to throw the hat in and just move on. Sabbath struggled for years, it's all about chemistry. Maybe just maybe if they ever tossed out Gers they may find home again.

~A

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skyclad

Reaction score
distressed_romeo said:
...I have no problem with the newer stuff...

what is so new in it? Can't find a single new music idea, and even can't remeber a single tune from last 2 albums. But I can remeber almost every song from SSOTSS. And even from Fear of the Dark.

Brave New World was a great album, and seemed more of a continuation of the style the developed on SS than the stuff that came in the meantime.

To whom? To Korn & Limp bizkit generation - shure is great, they have never listen something like than on MTV...

And definetely I wouldn't consider Grave New World as continuation of SSOTSS, but only as continuation of Chemical Wedding "ideas". And if I don't like the Accident of Birth remains with acid sound, I'll never fall in love with post-reunion Iron Maiden.

Roy Z's work with Bruce was great, especially the Chemical Wedding, but I'm not sure I could see him slotting into Maiden's format. The Chemical Wedding was great, just because it was different to Maiden, who at the time were kinda going in circles.

Never liked the Chemical wedding (is it some free-masonry legend, BTW?), and even Dickinson himself said that CW is just poor remains of Accident Of Birth. Which itself is much better than Chemical wedding and more dymamic too. To me music of CW is slightly acid, and I don't like sound engineering of CW as well. IMO, CW - is beginning of Dickinson decline...

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
skyclad said:
To whom? To Korn & Limp bizkit generation - shure is great, they have never listen something like than on MTV...

Now, I wouldn't say that. I grew up on IM, I fucking hate both those bands you just named, and Mtv for that matter. DoD wasn't that great on the CD, but live the songs rock. BNW had some killer tracks, IMO.

Maybe I'm just a fanboy, but at least Maiden still sounds like Maiden, which a lot of older bands can't pull off.

skyclad

Reaction score
Allen Garrow said:
Ok, someone said they lost the "gasoline in their blood". Great analogy! I'm hung over so that person will just have to accept that I read that comment ;)

That "person" is me and I think so. even Dickinson was fighting with mainstream with his solo albums in 90's, and when he joined Iron Maiden again, I thought - well, Iron Maiden is back in the saddle again. What a mistake! they just wanted to make money instead of making MUSIC.

7th son is a good album, and is the marker for the downfall or lyrics and just over all hunger. All of the albums since had some good songs, but that's just it, " they had some GOOD songs".

I want to add another idea. Most half of Fear of the dark is good. i can't say, that most half of Grave new world or dance of death is good. Some songs are fine but only SOME songs. On the contrary, on the Fear of the dark some songs are bad. That's a big difference to me.

p.s. Don't kill me either. :lol: I love iron Maiden and solo projects of Bruce too... That is just my point of view.

Toshiro said:
Now, I wouldn't say that. I grew up on IM, I fucking hate both those bands you just named, and Mtv for that matter. DoD wasn't that great on the CD, but live the songs rock. BNW had some killer tracks, IMO.

Alas, only SOME good songs...

Maybe I'm just a fanboy, but at least Maiden still sounds like Maiden, which a lot of older bands can't pull off.

can't agree with that. BNW and DoD sounds more like Tyranny of souls than like a true Iron Maiden.

Toshiro said:
I fucking hate both those bands you just named, and Mtv for that matter.

I also thought like you - what the hell is that? But someday my youngest brother gave me some b-side& rarities album (not familiar with their CD names) of Limp Bizkit.. You know, those guys playing really good music (sure it was just SOME songs) with very good guitar solo parts! I guess they are simply under a strong pressure of music labels, and i won't blame them for making money - they are young and fighting for the place under sun. Same to John 5. Some of his (bluegrass tunes on his solo albums) guitar parts are good, but his marylin manson playing is impossible to listen.

But Maiden! Why they are making this modern shit? They've got their place under sun, everybody knows that band, glorious history, claasic metal songs. And now we have DoD and tyranny of souls (or ears?:lol: )...

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
Maiden suck in the same way Metallica suck!!!

And before you all flame me to hell let me just state my case! Seventh son is one of the greatest metal albums ever, in fact each successive maiden album up to that point was just better than its predecessor! Aces High and Two Minutes to Midnight, both from the excellent and much overlooked Powerslave album are awesome songs. There's very little filler on 7th, very little on somehwere in time for that matter!! My point?

My point is that I'm a massive Maiden fan, and agree with all the points of the original thread starter, but c'mon guys this was 88, 18 yrs ago! Time has moved on, metal has moved on, and maiden look and sound old!!!!!

THey're the best at what they do, but in this modern day and age, what they do sucks!

skyclad

Reaction score
Cyberi4n said:
but c'mon guys this was 88, 18 yrs ago! Time has moved on, metal has moved on, and maiden look and sound old!!!!!

And Mozart sound old too, but I love his 40th symphony. times are changing, does it means that I need to buy Marylin Manson or Korn instead of Megadeth and iron Maiden?! no fucking way!

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I loved Seventh Son from day one, but I remember buying No Prayer for the Dying when it came out and going "WTF?" the very first time I listened to it. Haven't been a fan of any of their stuff since then, either.

I don't think Janick was the problem, I think that Maiden just burned out after such an intense amount of work during the '80s. Did you ever check out their tour itinerary on the 'gatefold' of the Live After Death album? Holy fuck! I've never seen such a long tour in my life. I really do think that pace ultimately killed the band--there's just no way you can keep that up and still write fresh new material year after year.

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
skyclad said:
And Mozart sound old too, but I love his 40th symphony. times are changing, does it means that I need to buy Marylin Manson or Korn instead of Megadeth and iron Maiden?! no fucking way!

Times ARE changing, and rock music by its very definition is designed to be disposable "here today gone tomorrow" - "hope I Die before I get old" sums it up nicely I think! There's no reason why you cant buy Marilyn manson or Korn and listen to it back to back with maiden, that is unless you're one of these old-timers stuck in their ways.........:lol:

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Brave new World owned, and its the best thing since POWER SLAVE. SS was cool and so was somewhere in time, but none of them compared to PowerSlave. Brave new World sounds like Tyranny of Souls? :lol:
Nah. If anything its vice versa.. brave new world came out in 2000... TOS came out in 2005... Bruce just needs to get depressed again, think about quitting and having Roy Z calling him up with some badass metal tracks like what happened on Accident of Birth.

And i will say this:
Accident of Birth, Chemical Wedding, and the bonus songs off of the following best of > All Maiden.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
skyclad said:
what is so new in it? Can't find a single new music idea, and even can't remeber a single tune from last 2 albums. But I can remeber almost every song from SSOTSS. And even from Fear of the Dark.

If I remember correctly, BNW wasn't a massive hit with the 'Korn/Limp Bizkit generation'. Even a lot of critics didn't like it when it initally hit the racks.
Most people who went back to it later on however, seemed to agree that it's a 'grower'. I thought it was cool just because it was a little more progressive and convoluted rather than just being full of the 'fists in the air' tunes their earlier albums were (which I grew up on incidentally). They weren't trying to sound modern, rather they were progressing in the direction albums like Seventh Son had hinted at earlier. If anything that album was more seventies prog than nineties metal.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Down with Janick.
And finally....who the fuck is Roy Z? :scratch:

Adrian/Dave = the only Maiden guitarists I actually acknowledge.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
distressed_romeo said:
If I remember correctly, BNW wasn't a massive hit with the 'Korn/Limp Bizkit generation'. Even a lot of critics didn't like it when it initally hit the racks.
Most people who went back to it later on however, seemed to agree that it's a 'grower'. I thought it was cool just because it was a little more progressive and convoluted rather than just being full of the 'fists in the air' tunes their earlier albums were (which I grew up on incidentally). They weren't trying to sound modern, rather they were progressing in the direction albums like Seventh Son had hinted at earlier. If anything that album was more seventies prog than nineties metal.
The only song that NEVER grew on me was the title track. always thought it was lame. all the songs before and after it though = \m/.

Roy Z = God.

Shannon -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhmsgVqWUQ&search=Bruce Dickinson

Solo @2:53

He's the guy who isnt adrian smith inthis video.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Maiden Rules! :metal:

Bruce Dickenson is great, but Blaze Bailey certainly had his moments, although hearing Iron Maiden with Blaze is akin to chocolate chip pizza. (Two good things that are kind of weird together)

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
skyclad said:
I also thought like you - what the hell is that? But someday my youngest brother gave me some b-side& rarities album (not familiar with their CD names) of Limp Bizkit.. You know, those guys playing really good music (sure it was just SOME songs) with very good guitar solo parts! I guess they are simply under a strong pressure of music labels, and i won't blame them for making money - they are young and fighting for the place under sun. Same to John 5. Some of his (bluegrass tunes on his solo albums) guitar parts are good, but his marylin manson playing is impossible to listen..

My hatred for Korn and LB has nothing to do with guitar solos, their music is boring. Durst isn't being pressured, he is the pressure.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chris said:
Note: I'm loaded.
- Seventh Son is the last real Maiden album.
:agreed:

I still like Somewhere In Time better though but still, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son is the last real Maiden album. :yesway:

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'll stand up here and say I really like Brave New World and what little I've heard of Dance of Death. I prefer Powerslave and Number of the Beast though.

Live, Maiden still kick many shades of arse. Saw them headline at Donnington a couple of years ago. I was with my girlfriend of the time, a huge pop-punk fan whose favourite band was Sum41. I nearly killed her on the spot when halfway through Maiden's set she whined "Why do we have to stay and listen to this shit". Erm, you're favourite band wouldn't sound like they do without Maiden, and Maiden are gods! :metal:

skyclad

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, BNW wasn't a massive hit with the 'Korn/Limp Bizkit generation'. Even a lot of critics didn't like it when it initally hit the racks

I know a lot of young people, who admire grave New world pretty much and they say a lot of thing like "...it is the best IM album ever... very mature music... strong and powerful heavy metal... progressive rock metal" and other rabbish things. Same people consider Load and St.Anger best and mature Metallica's albums. I only posrted my point of view, and definetely i can't agree with with those teenagers. Load and Virtual Xi is just a coma of Metallica and Iron Maiden. So to say "Interview from the other side"

Accident of Birth, Chemical Wedding, and the bonus songs off of the following best of > All Maiden.

well, i recently bought B-sides of Bruce dickinson on 2 CD's and some Best Of Dickinson on 2 Cd's as well (with bunch of unreleased new songs). it's almost 3 new albums of Bruce dickinson (I had most part of these songs on audiotapes for years but with terrible quality). And this albums is MUCH better than any new Iron Maiden albums.

Times ARE changing, and rock music by its very definition is designed to be disposable "here today gone tomorrow"

most part of rock music (popular today garbage) will be in a trash can tomorrow. There is no doubt about it. But what about Led zeppelin or Rolling Stones? It is already a classical music. I own some symphony CD's with london Philarmonic Orchestra (and some other orcheatras) covering an immortal Led zeppelin or Queen songs... Well, i believe people will listen these bands after 20 years from now, and after 50 years and... It is not MTV one-day-bands.

My hatred for Korn and LB has nothing to do with guitar solos, their music is boring. Durst isn't being pressured, he is the pressure

:)))))

Two good things that are kind of weird together

Told it already. I can consider X-factor as underestimated album of some side project band. It is good album, and Skunkworks of Bruce Dickinson is exellent side project of Dickinson (I can't consider it as true Dickinson, and he said once, that he planned skunkworks as side project). And even Satriani planned his dance techno 2000 as side project.
So in my opinion X-factor is not Iron Maiden, but still interesting work. Masses will kill me for that, but I realy like Anthrax "Volume 8", Skid Row "Subhuman Race" and
Extreme "Waiting for the punchline". It is not typical albums for the above bands, and most people says it is garbage. But what the hell? I don't care for critics and other opinions. I like it and I will listen it.

p.s. though DoD is extremely boring album (and Tyranny of Ears is very dissapoiting injured head Dickinson album), I will buy new Iron Maiden album.

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
The only song that NEVER grew on me was the title track. always thought it was lame. all the songs before and after it though = \m/.
Roy Z = God.
Shannon -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhmsgVqWUQ&search=Bruce Dickinson
Solo @2:53
He's the guy who isnt adrian smith inthis video.

Oh right, he's the dude that looks like Tiny Tim. I like his sound and energy. Maybe that's what they need is some new energy that everyone can feed off of.

~A

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Cyberi4n said:
Maiden suck in the same way Metallica suck!!!

My point is that I'm a massive Maiden fan, and agree with all the points of the original thread starter, but c'mon guys this was 88, 18 yrs ago!

I'm basically in agreement, except that I think Maiden has done tons more cool stuff than Metallica. Metallica just sold right the hell out. I can't even stand to look at those guys anymore. Maiden may have made some bad decisions here or there, but I don't think they deliberately screwed over their original fan base. Plus, Bruce makes Hetfield look and sound like an idiot.

I would like to see them make another Powerslave, or even better Number of the Beast. Well, hell, they are getting up there. Maybe they're just tired.

')