Let's discuss Iron Maiden

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
Ancestor said:
I'm basically in agreement, except that I think Maiden has done tons more cool stuff than Metallica. Metallica just sold right the hell out. I can't even stand to look at those guys anymore. Maiden may have made some bad decisions here or there, but I don't think they deliberately screwed over their original fan base. Plus, Bruce makes Hetfield look and sound like an idiot.
I would like to see them make another Powerslave, or even better Number of the Beast. Well, hell, they are getting up there. Maybe they're just tired.

Agree 100% with this - another powerslave would be great!

And maybe go back to a two-guitar line-up? I cant see the benefit that Janick brings tbh - the last time I saw them live the guitars sounded terrible!! Adrian is THE man - he was my main inspiration in the late 80s/early 90s :bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Last years Ozzfest:

Some band, some band, some band, get a pizza, some band, some band, drink a couple beers, some band, some band, hey dude pass that shit man, some band, some band, HOLY FUCKING SHIT IRON FUCKING MAIDEN HELL YEAH BRUCE IS A GOD LOOK AT DAVE TEAR IT UP FUCKING A RIGHT MAN, watch Sabbath butcher their catalog, go home.

I didn't even notice that they had newer albums, honestly. Seeing them play an entire set of the old shit was amazing. Bruce came running out the very first song, hit the monitor with one foot, and leaped, spinning in the air, landing on the lower tier of the stage. That pretty much set the pace for the set.

On the list of the top metal vocalists:

1. Bruce Dikinson
2. Ronnie James Dio
3. Everyone else

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
What about Dennis Stratton? ;p

You laugh, but that first Maiden album is an alltime classic and one of the best debuts ever, sez me! My old college band actually covered "Transylvania"--mostly because it meant that none of us had to try and sing. :)

Dennis played fine--they didn't fire him because he sucked as a player, but because his writing style was totally un-metal. He had been brought into the band just before the first album was recorded, and so the first chance he got to try and contribute music was for what became Killers, and the other guys claim that he wanted to write mellow proggy sort of stuff.

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
jacksonplayer said:
You laugh, but that first Maiden album is an alltime classic and one of the best debuts ever, sez me! My old college band actually covered "Transylvania"--mostly because it meant that none of us had to try and sing. :)
Dennis played fine--they didn't fire him because he sucked as a player, but because his writing style was totally un-metal. He had been brought into the band just before the first album was recorded, and so the first chance he got to try and contribute music was for what became Killers, and the other guys claim that he wanted to write mellow proggy sort of stuff.

You should read the Maiden autobiography - he says that when he was fired he went home, climbed into his bath fully dressed and cried his eyes out - he was gutted!!! He used to enjoy hanging abt with the roadies on tour and that apparently drove a wedge between him and the rest of the guys, and of course the musical differences that is all to commonly cited! He remembers clearly his last video shoot with the band, when he thought everything was actually gonna work out, and realised that not once did the camera focus on or even record him - he knew then he was out of the band!

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
jacksonplayer said:

The only thing i was laughing at was that shannon said there's only 2 maiden guitarists he recognizes, and Dennis Stratton recorded many of the maiden classics we're familiar with (Transylvania, Phantom Of the Opera, etc.). Its a great album, i agree.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
The only thing i was laughing at was that shannon said there's only 2 maiden guitarists he recognizes, and Dennis Stratton recorded many of the maiden classics we're familiar with (Transylvania, Phantom Of the Opera, etc.). Its a great album, i agree.

Yeah, he's definitely the forgotten guy, although watching "The Early Years" DVD, it's quite amazing just how many people have been in Iron Maiden from 1975 forward. Just before Dennis joined, they were playing as a four-piece with only Dave on guitar. I have a hard time imagining that, considering that most of the material on the first album already existed.

Cyberi4n said:
He remembers clearly his last video shoot with the band, when he thought everything was actually gonna work out, and realised that not once did the camera focus on or even record him - he knew then he was out of the band!

Man, that would have been a great scene in Spinal Tap! :lol:

He was always sort of a mysterious figure in the old days, since he's only pictured from behind on the cover of the first album, if I recall correctly.

It's interesting to watch The Early Years DVD. I can see why some people prefer the DiAnno era, because that was a very intense band and perfect for the clubs they were playing. Their show got more deluxe and their music more sophisticated, but when Bruce joined they lost just a little bit of that edge they had before.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I think their stuff with Di'Anno was awesome. its almost a different band, Number of the Beast sounds so much different, more like the standard fare 80s heavy metal, whereas the first two albums sound VERY NWOBHM, on par with bands like Angel Witch, Witchfinder General, Diamond Head, Holocaust, etc.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The stuff with Dickinson hasn't dated as much though...the Di'Anno era was great, but it was very clearly of its time.

Cyberi4n

Reaction score
distressed_romeo said:
The stuff with Dickinson hasn't dated as much though...the Di'Anno era was great, but it was very clearly of its time.

Agreed!!

Although that Maiden Japan ep still sounds good these days :hbang:

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
distressed_romeo said:

Actually, I kinda disagree. The stereotypical gallop of "The Trooper" sounds very much of its era--and that's my favorite Maiden song, bar none. Whereas, songs like "Running Free" and "Wrathchild" seem a bit more timeless to me, albeit in a rougher fashion. Not really saying one is better than the other--in fact, I'm much more a fan of the NOTB --> Seventh Son sequence than I am of the first two albums. But I gained a LOT more respect for the DiAnno era after watching the two concerts from them on the Early Years DVD.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
jacksonplayer said:
Actually, I kinda disagree. The stereotypical gallop of "The Trooper" sounds very much of its era--and that's my favorite Maiden song, bar none.

I don't know, I think the production has a lot to do with that. If you hear modern covers like Children of Bodom's version of The Trooper or Cradle of Filth's version of Hallowed be Thy Name they sound musically much more modern than the originals, even though they're virtually exact copies. Obviously I'm ignoring the vocal aspects as they're very different, but just focussing on the music itself.

skyclad

Reaction score
Anthrax (with Bush) and Sebastian Bach (ex-skid row) cover versions of iron maiden is exellent. children of whatever is still children comparing to the that monsters.

what about Dream Theater bootleg, where they are singin' IM songs? I love DT, but this bootleg is awful, IMO

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
The dream theater bootleg.. they did a good enough job but you NEED two guitarists to play Iron Maiden. Doesnt sound the same when its Guitar+keyboards.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
The dream theater bootleg.. they did a good enough job but you NEED two guitarists to play Iron Maiden. Doesnt sound the same when its Guitar+keyboards.

There is a local band that we've played a gig or two with that covers the Trooper live, with the one guitarist playing through a harmonizer. It still doesn't sound right, because you're right, Maiden needs two guitarists.

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
Seventh Son was IMO the BEST Maiden Album. The Clairvoiant, Can I play With Madness...the best Maiden songs ever.

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
Bruce Dickenson seems like a tool, but he's fucking awesome when it comes to metal vocalists.

skyclad

Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
The dream theater bootleg.. they did a good enough job but you NEED two guitarists to play Iron Maiden.

I don't like Rudess anyway. Moore (and even maestro Sherenian) were far better. But his album with Joh Petrucci (An evening with John Petrucci) is exellent though/

But can Petrucci alone change 2 Iron Maiden guitarists? Well THAT is a question... :lol:

rogue

metal is forever
Reaction score
am i the only one who quite likes their last two albums, sure itsn ot really classic metal any more but its good rocking stuff

')