Let's play guess that amp

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I made a comparison of a couple of amps for shits and giggles. Feel free to guess which is which.
Amps used: Mesa Mk3, Revv 100p, Peavey XXX, PRS Archon (FSM/F100 were not used)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nik/

Reaction score
1 Archon
2 Mark III
3 XXX
4 Revv

Through my phone speakers because I'm lazy... edit: and wrong lol

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
The only one I thought had right was XXX being #3 for the big bass and mid scoop, interesting
It's far from a scooped amp ime. The mk3 gets the most scooped out of those 4 by far, but only if I want it to.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
It's far from a scooped amp ime. The mk3 gets the most scooped out of those 4 by far, but only if I want it to.

Well in regards to it's reputation of being a "diet coke recto"

FWIW the Revv's cleans stomped the other three

Nik/

Reaction score
I've always been curious about the xxx but haven't had the opportunity to try it out, how would you compare it to a 6505 or 6505+ if you don't mind me asking?

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Well in regards to it's reputation of being a "diet coke recto"

FWIW the Revv's cleans stomped the other three
ehh it's really nothing like a recto. Much tighter and not anywhere near as much low mids
The revv and archon have ridiculously good cleans.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I've always been curious about the xxx but haven't had the opportunity to try it out, how would you compare it to a 6505 or 6505+ if you don't mind me asking?
I haven't played a 6505 in ages but they can generally occupy pretty similar tonal territory. The xxx just has less of a massive low end and less grind to the mids . It also has pretty decent cleans unlike the 6505.

Nik/

Reaction score
I haven't played a 6505 in ages but they can generally occupy pretty similar tonal territory. The xxx just has less of a massive low end and less grind to the mids . It also has pretty decent cleans unlike the 6505.
Thanks! I appreciate the response.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I got 0/4 on this one, but I like playing this game. : ) I got 1 righ on the last one of these. Just goes to show how our ears/brain can be wrong.

- Did you use IR's on these? They sound like they all got IR's on them. Just curious.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I got 0/4 on this one, but I like playing this game. : ) I got 1 righ on the last one of these. Just goes to show how our ears/brain can be wrong.

- Did you use IR's on these? They sound like they all got IR's on them. Just curious.
yup same IR for all of em. celestion greenback IRs, mix of a 57 and a 160 mic

efiltsohg

Reaction score
4 pretty distinct amps IMO... you did a nice job capturing their characteristics

I'd like to hear the F100 with that setup as well

Latest posts

')