Let's play guess that amp

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
4 pretty distinct amps IMO... you did a nice job capturing their characteristics

I'd like to hear the F100 with that setup as well
Thanks
I could have tweaked the mk3 to fit the guitar better but yeah, they all do very different things. That's part of why I keep em around.
I'll try and do another vid with the f100 and FSM included later.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I was confident on amps 1 and 2, having owned two iterations of the XXX and listened to many clips of the Revv before this, but the last two were totally foreign to me. I found the Archon to be my least favorite but it had to do with some weird presence listening on my phone speaker, I’m guessing it’s in like the 8-10k range. I suspect that’s due to the translation of my listening device and not the amp itself.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I had the archon and XXX switched, but to be fair, haven't really heard either before. The 100p was hands-down the best-sounding one to me. Had Revv not been an option I would have initially guessed it was the Mark because it had so much anger to it.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I was confident on amps 1 and 2, having owned two iterations of the XXX and listened to many clips of the Revv before this, but the last two were totally foreign to me. I found the Archon to be my least favorite but it had to do with some weird presence listening on my phone speaker, I’m guessing it’s in like the 8-10k range. I suspect that’s due to the translation of my listening device and not the amp itself.
yeah the archon is overall a darker/smoother sounding amp. I've heard it described as a refined recto with a dash of uberschall. I don't have experience with the uber, but the recto comparison is pretty apt.
I prefer it with a good amount of treble and presence, but it's still not anywhere as cutting as the revv or mk3 can get.
I had the archon and XXX switched, but to be fair, haven't really heard either before. The 100p was hands-down the best-sounding one to me. Had Revv not been an option I would have initially guessed it was the Mark because it had so much anger to it.
The Revv is an awesome amp that doesn't get enough credit. Super versatile amp.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Really loved the Revv and MkIII as expected. Archon was pretty good but needed more treble and a bit less low mids. XXX was surprisingly my leastt favorite.

Mike_R

Reaction score
Great video, thank you for posting! I have really enjoyed the comparison videos lately. I have to confess I was only fairly confident on the XXX and Mark. I've heard a bunch of the Archon, so I thought I had that right but haven't listened to a lot of Revv demos to be super confident.

Sometimes I want to purge some of my amps and simplify my setup - especially because I wind up trying to dial in similar tones with them. I still probably will sell a couple of the 5150s I have. I personally have a hard time picking amps out sometimes once they are in a mix but this video is reminding me that part of the fun of different amps is the differences in character. I could see swapping my Recto for an Archon, or maybe even the Revv for my 5153 Stealth, but the Mark and XXX are so much their own thing.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Really loved the Revv and MkIII as expected. Archon was pretty good but needed more treble and a bit less low mids. XXX was surprisingly my leastt favorite.
the low mids are just part of the archon's sound. I had the treble and presence up pretty high on the amp, it just doesn't slice the way the revv or mk3 do.
Great video, thank you for posting!
part of the fun of different amps is the differences in character. I could see swapping my Recto for an Archon, or maybe even the Revv for my 5153 Stealth, but the Mark and XXX are so much their own thing.

That's part of why I love the Revv and the Mk3. They have very unique sounds compared to most amps out there. I didn't really do the Mk3 any justice here but it was enough for people to get a feel for the amp.
this is a better example of how the mk3 sounds:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xuq9f7lrky0244e/BW7_Mk3_medley1.flac/file

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Rather than make a new thread, I figured it'd make more sense to keep the game going in this thread.
An older amp comparison I did with my prs mushok. I don't remember the IRs I used, but they were the same for all the amps.
Amps used (in no particular order):
Mesa F100
Mesa Mk3
Revv 100p
VHT Pittbull UL
Peters FSM

Nik/

Reaction score
Eeek I'm gonna guess
1 F 100
2 Mark III
3 Peters
4 Revv
5 Pitbull

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I have no idea : ) This game is hard.

Mesa Mk3
Mesa F100
VHT Pittbull UL
Revv 100p
Peters FSM

efiltsohg

Reaction score
1 Mk3
2 Revv
3 FSM
4 F100
5 Pitbull

not as clear of a sound on that older video, I think your IR is much better on the new one

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
unholy necrobump.

Been a couple years since I've done a blind comparison of my amps. Here's a more recent comparison I did. 2 different high gain riffs with 7 different amps. I used the same riffs and IRs for all clips

')