Let's talk about baritone sixes

• Thread starter Ed_Ibanez_Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_Ibanez_Shred

Baritone sixes
Reaction score
Basically, what are some good production model baritone sixes that can compete price-wise with a seven string? I realised, looking for seven string guitars, I had completely overlooked baritone 6 string guitars.

I know schecter do a 30" model, and there are a few 26"+ ibanezes, but I don't know much about their reputation and how they stand up to seven string guitars. Not many people seem to use baritone six string guitars. Is there a reason for this, or are they just less popular? Is a baritone 6 a good choice in lieu of a seven string?

cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shawnperolis

7 String Indie Game Dev
Reaction score
Fender just made a Bass VI for like 350 bucks. 30" scale. Pretty cool.

djohns74

Reaction score
It depends on what you're going to do with it. If one has no need for the range (additional string) afforded by a seven string, I don't entirely understand why one would elect to play one versus simply down-tuning a six string. Then, if the goal is down-tuning, a longer scale length is often seen as beneficial for string tension versus string diameter issues, though this is extremely subjective at the same time.

The fact is though that if one would be happy with the sound and playability of the lower six strings on a 25.5" scale (for example) seven string, there's no good reason not to just throw heavier strings on a standard scale six string and call it a day. I feel like "baritone" is more about the tonal range available anyway, especially since a 26.5" scale six string is often considered a "baritone" guitar, but can very easily be strung up with normal strings in standard tuning, so what's necessarily so "baritone" about it? If I put 13s on a Les Paul and tune it to Drop A or whatever, how is that less of a baritone?

Anyway, this mini-rant may be a bit off-topic, in which case I apologize. But in terms of whether a baritone six string is a viable alternative to a seven string, I don't feel that there's necessary any comparison between the two, depending on what you want to do with it. If you just want to chug away on a low B string, a seven seems like overkill. Then again, a longer scale six string probably is as well.

coffinwisdom

Reaction score
Ibanez Mike Mushok - Neck-through 28" scale

I like it better than the PRS model personally

tripforks

wut r u doin
Reaction score
People usually don't tune down past A or B standard, which is totally doable on 25.5" or 24.75". Sometimes it's even preferred for a "sludgier" or "heavier" kind of tone or attack to the strings, where too long and the strings can sound too piano-like for a lot of people.

It also seems like more of a commitment to buy a baritone 6 string. You have to adjust to a brand new scale length, which can screw up the "feel" for some people, or just their muscle memory from paying Les Pauls their whole life. Not only that, but it always seems easier to downtune a strat than to uptune a Mushok sig, and committing to such a niche instrument is a hard sell. Not to mention that most baritone scaled guitars are 7 or 8 string anyway

But, bari sixes are rad as hell and you should definitely check a few out. Common scales are 26.5" (Ibanez RGD320) , 27" (Fender Jaguar Baritone Special HH), 28" (Fender Blacktop Telecaster Baritone, some Schecters), and 30" (Squier Bass VI, a few Schecters, and anything ending in VI which is more of a bass guitar/baritone guitar lovechild). Who knows, maybe one of those scales will feel like home more than 25.5" or 24.75" ever could, even for a standard E tuning.

LeAdEr

Reaction score

Exactly...i own one of the, the Ibanez MMM1 is one of the best guitars i ever owned (and there are some...). I bought it twice, bought the first one, sold it in a critical moment of my live and searched some years (!!) to find another one (here on ss.org, french guy). I am so happy again, will never let the MMM1 go again :)

I play just B normal, you can play this tuning on a normal guitar too, but i like the massive sound and handling of my baritone

celticelk

Reaction score
Slight correction to tripforks' post: the Fender Blacktop baritone Tele is a 27" scale. I agree that thinking seriously about whether you actually need an extended scale for your application is a useful exercise.

mitchybang

Reaction score

Exactly!!! I've been posting all over the place trying to find a mint unmodded one. Exceptional instrument. Waaaaaaaay better than the PRS.

LeAdEr

Reaction score
Exactly!!! I've been posting all over the place trying to find a mint unmodded one. Exceptional instrument. Waaaaaaaay better than the PRS.

Really hard to find. Mine is modded with some EMG´s. I am in contact at the moment with Ibanez to get those original humbuckers.The rest is original, and that´s perfect.

mitchybang

Reaction score
Really hard to find. Mine is modded with some EMG´s. I am in contact at the moment with Ibanez to get those original humbuckers.The rest is original, and that´s perfect.

Yeah some guy on eBay is trying to get $750 for his. Personally I think that's a little high.

coffinwisdom

Reaction score
Yeah some guy on eBay is trying to get $750 for his. Personally I think that's a little high.

My brother paid $600 about 2 years ago for his with some minor cosmetic flaws. That's pretty steep considering it's only a Premium level Ibanez (Made in Korea) and it's about a 10 year old guitar.

However it is one of the best guitars I've ever played. I don't think my brother plans on ever selling his. It's such a unique Ibanez. Hardtail neck-through baritone with a natural finish. It might be worth it.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Rondomusic has a bunch of neat Baritones on their site, some for dirt cheap. Among them I've seen 27" Les Pauls and even a 30" Strat :lol:

Roland777

Reaction score
OLP used to make a bad-assed "30-baritone as well. Shame it was discontinued.

Ed_Ibanez_Shred

Baritone sixes
Reaction score
Gotdayum, I hate how rondo music have all these supposedly sexy and cheap guitars, but I live in the UK :( I guess I'll stick to trying to find a 7 string

rockskate4x

rockskate4x
Reaction score
da_prod_exl158_main_1.jpg

try some fatter strangs, before spending on a baritone or a seven.

DanakinSkywalker

Reaction score
There's the Schecter Hellraiser C-VI (30" scale)
33yieu0.jpg

Ibanez MMM1 (28" scale)
28mckfa.jpg

These are the most popular ones that I know of.

Latest posts

')