Let's talk microphones!

• Thread starter Pedrojoca
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Hey guys! Christmas is coming and I decided to get myself some studio gear. Considering my current rig, i'll probably be going with mics, so I need some help and suggestions on what to choose.
Here's the deal, i'm slowly buying mics to be able to record drums. I already have the 57 and would like to buy a mic or matched pair that could be used for something else like vocals, guitars, ... I'm not looking for budget stuff but not top of the line either.. Let's aim for 250 bucks maybe.

As I see it these would be the choices for now:
A bundle of dynamics for toms
Pair of small diaphragm condensers
A large diaphragm condenser
Another sm57

So, name some of those mics which are worth more than their price :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whammy

Reaction score
I'd suggest the SM7b. Awesome vocal mic, and it provides a different yet equally as usable sound to the 57 for guitars and drums etc.

Reaction score
Mmm, difficult. For drums, you'll have to decide if you wanna start completing the drum microphone set or have something for vocals too. A couple of matched condensers would be great for overheads as well as vocals, say a couple of Audio Technica AT2020 or Rode NT1-A, which are good and cheap at the same time. If you wanna focus on drums, you'll need other microphones, (Toms, bass drum) which are maybe more important than OH which will get the cymbals sound mostly. It's your call. You already have the SM57 for snare.

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
I'd suggest the SM7b. Awesome vocal mic, and it provides a different yet equally as usable sound to the 57 for guitars and drums etc.

At this point I want to add more mics for drum recording, a sm57 alternative is not of that much use.

Mmm, difficult. For drums, you'll have to decide if you wanna start completing the drum microphone set or have something for vocals too. A couple of matched condensers would be great for overheads as well as vocals, say a couple of Audio Technica AT2020 or Rode NT1-A, which are good and cheap at the same time. If you wanna focus on drums, you'll need other microphones, (Toms, bass drum) which are maybe more important than OH which will get the cymbals sound mostly. It's your call. You already have the SM57 for snare.

Interesting answer! I'll focus on drums then and I think i'll be going for overheads. Why exactly don't you consider OHs very important? The way I mix, I tend to use them for more than cymbals. :D
How would I go about using matched condensers on vocals? I'm guessing mono? :scratch:

Also, Rode NT1 vs NT5 vs the Audio Technicas, in your opinion?

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd go with a large diaphragm condenser - will be good on vocals, guitars, bass, and assorted other instruments. I have a Rode NT1000 which I love and upgraded from an NT1, but even with holiday discounts it's probably a little over your budget. So yeah, an NT1A would be a good choice as would some of the Audio Technica's like Leechmaster listed - there's the 2050 and 4040 in your budget range.

Rev.

Whammy

Reaction score
At this point I want to add more mics for drum recording, a sm57 alternative is not of that much use.

I know I called it an alternative but it's a bit of an understatement for this mic.
Plus it makes an very good snare top mic. Combine that with the sm57 on the bottom snare and that a full snare mic setup.

But if it doesn't suit your needs then it doesn't :agreed:

AxeHappy

Reaction score
For overheads I would go with Rodes NT-5s myself.

Oske7

Reaction score
check out the Shure Beta 52 if you're looking for a good kick mic

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
Ive been using the SM7B for a couple of months now for both cleans and screams. Sounds amazing.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
Unless you have a pretty decent room, I'd suggest getting triggers, something like SS Trigger, and a decent pair of overheads. I gave up on getting a decent close mic sound recently, and life has sucked a lot less ever since. The overs will still be difficult, but they'll improve with a high-pass and a couple of saturation plugs. Plus, you can always sample your kit as you get better mics, and trigger your own samples to give shaky performances a little more consistency.

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Unless you have a pretty decent room, I'd suggest getting triggers, something like SS Trigger, and a decent pair of overheads. I gave up on getting a decent close mic sound recently, and life has sucked a lot less ever since. The overs will still be difficult, but they'll improve with a high-pass and a couple of saturation plugs. Plus, you can always sample your kit as you get better mics, and trigger your own samples to give shaky performances a little more consistency.

not an option, i am not exactly at that point anymore, just trying to buy some mics.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
I use the NT5s and they've been decent enough overs. Not a ton of character, but they respond pretty well to plugs. If you can get a hold of an original MD421, I'd do that all day long. Works great on tons of sources.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
Sorry for all the individual comments, but this stuff just keeps coming to me lol. These have worked really well for me on toms, snare, guitar, and even live vocals in a pinch. Also, in regard to the SM7B, it's a pretty bang up kick mic, and like the others said, insanely versatile for vocals and guitar. That said, I don't think there's a shell that a 57 won't work on with the right placement and post EQ. Sennheiser USA - Instrument Microphone - Drums Microphones, Bass Microphones - e 604 - Professional Audio

Reaction score

Interesting answer! I'll focus on drums then and I think i'll be going for overheads. Why exactly don't you consider OHs very important? The way I mix, I tend to use them for more than cymbals. :D
How would I go about using matched condensers on vocals? I'm guessing mono? :scratch:

Also, Rode NT1 vs NT5 vs the Audio Technicas, in your opinion?

Well, in a few words I said that if you want to use them for drums as well as vocals, you buy a matched pair for OH and then use one for vocals (Not both, there's no point.

I didn't say that OH weren't important, but on a low budget, say 3 microphones for recording drums, you can spare OH, although you can buy the matched pair and use some of the stereo micing techniques.

For a decent drum recording you need more microphones, but well, I tried to guide you the use you're going to give them.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I'll give another vote for the Rode nt5's. I really like mine, and I find them very versatile, and true to the source.

If placed correctly, the overheads will pick up everything on the kit well other than the kick, which you can close mic with your 57 until you can expand your mic locker.
HTH:hbang:

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
I'll give another vote for the Rode nt5's. I really like mine, and I find them very versatile, and true to the source.

If placed correctly, the overheads will pick up everything on the kit well other than the kick, which you can close mic with your 57 until you can expand your mic locker.
HTH:hbang:

Very true. Our drummer does a lot of tom and cymbal work and they pick up the spread on everything pretty well. A pair of NT5s and an SM7B on the kick would be a hell of a good start. Later on add a PR40 and a nice ribbon and call it a day.

Latest posts

')