Liam Neeson wants to kill a black man

• Thread starter Yul Brynner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
It baffles me that I'm so on board with what you said in the other thread about the whole "America isn't actually the best place ever" thing, but this is probably the point on which I disagree with you the most so far. :lol:

I can't see any scenario where going out with intent to kill someone outside of something like self defense is not wrong. I could even stretch as far as understanding someone wanting to kill the person who wronged them -> it's still wrong, but I get why someone would say it's not. But wanting an entirely innocent/unrelated-to-the-situation person to be dead to make you feel better about whatever you might be mad about, no matter how justified the inciting sense of anger might be -> In what universe is that ok?

It's ok to try to kill people just because you're mad BECAUSE THEY RAPED SOMEONE YOU CARE ABOUT? I cannot comprehend how that can be interpreted as not wrong.

Fixed that for you.

Killing someone unrelated to the incident, yes, that is wrong. I'm not disputing that. I'm simply saying that killing a rapist is fine. Going after random people, yes, that is wrong. If he were going after the person that raped his best friend, that would be fine.

Also, just because you agree with what I said in another thread about immigrants, that has no bearing on what I think is fine when it comes to killing someone. The two are not related, so I don't know why this baffles you.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I addressed that part. Random killings because you're mad are wrong. End of story as far as I care.

Revenge against the actual perpetrator? I can maybe stretch for that one, but I similarly cannot be convinced otherwise in any other case.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I don't know why this baffles you
It's more of a "I think I'm starting to understand you better", but then all of the sudden "wait, nevermind, maybe I don't". :lol:
I do think that the two of us tend to land at a less-different-than-it-would-look worldview at the end of the day on most things, but we approach them from such different angles.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
But that's what we're talking about isn't it? Neeson wasn't looking for the perpetrator, he just wanted to kill someone.

While I can understand his emotions and not agree with thought process, I've already said that I consider that to be wrong. My very argument is rooted in that if he were going after the rapist, that is fine. What he actually did was wrong.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
^ A misunderstanding then. I think I thought you said something that you didn't or didn't mean to say.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
It's more of a "I think I'm starting to understand you better", but then all of the sudden "wait, nevermind, maybe I don't". :lol:
I do think that the two of us tend to land at a less-different-than-it-would-look worldview at the end of the day on most things, but we approach them from such different angles.

To be fair, I've not let a whole lot on about myself on this forum. You're going to come across things you agree with and things that you don't. That doesn't mean you understand me as a whole one way or another.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
^ A misunderstanding then. I think I thought you said something that you didn't or didn't mean to say.

No no. Him going after a random person black or not IS WRONG. I understand his anger, I don't agree with the motivation, but if he actually got the fucker that did that, killed him, and then that were the end of it? Good riddance.

Also, looking back, I didn't make myself clear on that, so that's not your fault there, that's on me.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I think we've reached an understanding on this one at least. :lol:

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. Or... is there much of a thread here to derail?

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I think we've reached an understanding on this one at least. :lol:

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. Or... is there much of a thread here to derail?

Long story short: Liam Neeson behaved like a jackass, admits he was a jackass, acknowledged how terrible it was, decided not to be a jackass anymore. Now if we could just get everyone else on that mindset.

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
He knows what he did was stupid and he's apologetic about it now, but I don't know what the hell he was thinking admitting to this, there was no way this would go unnoticed or not get blown out of proportions with the uber PC liberals, especially in this day and age where everyone is racist/sexist and everything is bad. Had he not mentioned skin color people probably wouldn't have anything to say other than he's encouraging toxic masculinity.
There's bigger problems in the world than this ffs.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm a bit out of the loop about why/how the conversation came about in the first place. Given the option to either admit that I did something dumb years ago that could lead to being torn a new one, or just saying nothing.... clearly saying nothing seems like the intuitive choice.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
He knows what he did was stupid and he's apologetic about it now, but I don't know what the hell he was thinking admitting to this, there was no way this would go unnoticed or not get blown out of proportions with the uber PC liberals, especially in this day and age where everyone is racist/sexist and everything is bad. Had he not mentioned skin color people probably wouldn't have anything to say other than he's encouraging toxic masculinity.

I'd rather him do it on his own terms and admit he was being stupid than be found out later only to have him stammering for a response. Not only that, but I think it's rather encouraging when someone at least admits that they were being stupid and explains that it's wrong for them to behave that way.

Yul Brynner

Change my pitch up! Smack my bitch up!
Reaction score
I think he's been on a thing lately about people being so PC until you scratch the surface.

Yul Brynner

Change my pitch up! Smack my bitch up!
Reaction score
I didn't even think of that. I was originally thinking why didn't he just say Asian or arab or some other race people don't care about. Everyone seems to fixate on the fact that he actually said black. I thought if he would've left out the race bit or changed it to something else it would be no big deal to anyone but you are right, people are completely overlooking the toxic masculinity aspect.

wankerness

Reaction score

Exactly correct. Even that might not have happened. It would have been some footnote news article for one day, like "whoa, Liam Neeson is even crazier than he was in Taken!" End of discussion.

And no one gives a f*** about FAR worse things that actually involved violence instead of THINKING ABOUT VIOLENCE. Like, remember when Mark Wahlberg beat an asian man so bad that he went blind in one eye, while calling him a "gook?" Remember when Sean Penn tied Madonna to a chair and very badly beat her? Nope, doesn't matter, they're still showered in accolades. The only thing that matters is what happens right now. Liam Neeson is SO much worse than them in the eyes of the Twitterverse.

EDIT: Oh, looked up that chair thing, guess that was finally disproven in 2016. :p

Last edited:

Demiurge

Reaction score
It's healthy to attempt to have a reckoning with some ugly feelings one may have in the past, but it's patently insane to discuss it at a press junket and believe that any nuance is going to survive the gotcha-level soundbite.

wankerness

Reaction score
It's healthy to attempt to have a reckoning with some ugly feelings one may have in the past, but it's patently insane to discuss it at a press junket and believe that any nuance is going to survive the gotcha-level soundbite.

Oh, of course. But, just because the outrage is completely predictable doesn't mean it's not depressing and idiotic.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
I didn't even think of that. I was originally thinking why didn't he just say Asian or arab or some other race people don't care about. Everyone seems to fixate on the fact that he actually said black. I thought if he would've left out the race bit or changed it to something else it would be no big deal to anyone but you are right, people are completely overlooking the toxic masculinity aspect.

Hey... as one of those races mentioned in your post I have to say I disagree with and resent your opinion that no one cares about Asians and Arabs.

Up to you if you personally don't care or think that ppl don't care about those races, but to say no one cares about them... i think approx. 5 billion humans (combined) today would disagree and have a bone to pick with you on that statement. That's quite dismissive to me and everyone else of those races.

How do you think that somehow there would be less care given if he instead said he went around looking for an innocent Asian or Arab hoping to kill one of them?

Call me crazy but I think our lives are just as valuable as anyone else's... just my :2c:.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
^ I think you misunderstood the sentiment of possum's statement. He didn't mean to say "nobody cares about those races" so much as making the point that people seem to get particularly up-in-arms about racism against black people, while being mostly willing to turn a blind eye to prejudices in other cases. Your point is still valid, I just think that wasn't the intended message.