Liam Neeson wants to kill a black man

• Thread starter Yul Brynner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
I feel a bit sad for Neeson's manager. He wakes up in the morning, thinks "new movie debuts today, red carpet and media time". Opens his laptop, sees the storm created by his client and passes out immediately.
I think that Liam has reached that age where one will say anything. Difficult to think that they their entourage doesn't school these celebrities on what to say and what not to.

Exchanger

Reaction score
While maybe it would have flattened a few knee-jerk reactions (or might not have), it also would have flattened the impact of the statement. Saying "too" still concedes the point to being secondary to something that mattered before it, so to speak.
I'll settle for Black Lives Matter Just As Well, then :p. Less impactful though. Hah just woudda coudda's anyway.

I feel a bit sad for Neeson's manager. He wakes up in the morning, thinks "new movie debuts today, red carpet and media time". Opens his laptop, sees the storm created by his client and passes out immediately.
I think that Liam has reached that age where one will say anything. Difficult to think that they their entourage doesn't school these celebrities on what to say and what not to.
On the other hand, at some point, fuck it, people should be able to say what's on their mind, celebrity or not. Especially if in this case, the only image he's damaging is his own. Sure, there might be some PR guy being dragged down in the shitstorm, but for all we know, maybe he was in on it or compensated afterwards. If anything, the timing is pretty bad. Or is it ? Maybe it was an attempt at sort-of-bad buzz. Actually didn't hear of the movie until on this thread.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
On the other hand, at some point, fuck it, people should be able to say what's on their mind, celebrity or not. Especially if in this case, the only image he's damaging is his own. Sure, there might be some PR guy being dragged down in the shitstorm, but for all we know, maybe he was in on it or compensated afterwards. If anything, the timing is pretty bad. Or is it ? Maybe it was an attempt at sort-of-bad buzz. Actually didn't hear of the movie until on this thread.

I think the premiere got cancelled or something, after the interview went viral. I can definitely appreciate the honesty as you say, too many people (full time racist ones included) pretending to be the town's virgin Mary when under the surface they are someone else entirely. I do not think that the PC climate helped racial matters over the years, it just put a rag over them and who knows what is brewing beneath.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Change my pitch up! Smack my bitch up!
Reaction score
So Michelle Rodriguez was defending him but changed her mind I guess? They are saying that she is publicly apologizing for defending him.

Edika

Reaction score
I must be living under a rock as I heard about this from SSO. So let me get this straight, Liam Neeson in an interview trying to promote a movie opens up about shameful and stupid part of his past, by his own admittance, to elaborate how he understands the character he's playing is looking for blind revenge and the interwebs say he's a racist and a bigot? Is this the gist of the whole situation? Then I'm left speechless in how many people are considering themselves liberal and progressives but lack reading comprehension and reasoning skills.

I saw the Gillette ad and I didn't see any misandry. Regardless if they're capitalising on the whole climate of the time (I bet 30 years ago advertisements of Gillette showed a guy saving and myriads of women falling to his feet) I must say they have nailed a lot of the criticism on toxic masculinity. I was never aggressive as a child and always found the behaviour of other boys quite irrational and barbaric in a lot of ways. But you could see the parents had a really big role in shaping their attitudes. Being tough, not showing emotion and being physical and violent with other boys was considered the norm. Plus instilling a sense of unhealthy competition and entitlement (that was Mom's role) was all it required to see how most men have evolved in most countries.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I must be living under a rock as I heard about this from SSO. So let me get this straight, Liam Neeson in an interview trying to promote a movie opens up about shameful and stupid part of his past, by his own admittance, to elaborate how he understands the character he's playing is looking for blind revenge and the interwebs say he's a racist and a bigot? Is this the gist of the whole situation? Then I'm left speechless in how many people are considering themselves liberal and progressives but lack reading comprehension and reasoning skills.

I saw the Gillette ad and I didn't see any misandry. Regardless if they're capitalising on the whole climate of the time (I bet 30 years ago advertisements of Gillette showed a guy saving and myriads of women falling to his feet) I must say they have nailed a lot of the criticism on toxic masculinity. I was never aggressive as a child and always found the behaviour of other boys quite irrational and barbaric in a lot of ways. But you could see the parents had a really big role in shaping their attitudes. Being tough, not showing emotion and being physical and violent with other boys was considered the norm. Plus instilling a sense of unhealthy competition and entitlement (that was Mom's role) was all it required to see how most men have evolved in most countries.
Basically, yes.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
What's startling to me is the fact that he admitted his wrong-doing, his shamefulness for having ever felt that way and he still gets ripped apart. We live in a world where some people believe that sexual offenders can be reformed but not racists? Where's the limits of open-mindedness exactly? That's my question. We've actually gotten to the point where if a person is found to have even held (that is the operative word, HELD) a certain form of bigotry and now realizes how wrong that they were, they are essentially thrown to the lions, but a child molester "just needs help."

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, the thing that rubs me the wrong way about this story is that Neeson himself sees this as a story where he was a fucking idiot and he learned some important lessons from his mistakes. It's not like he doesn't think what he did was wrong - he's telling this story now precisely because he DOES think it was wrong.

Idunno. The reaction surprised me a little.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Yeah, the thing that rubs me the wrong way about this story is that Neeson himself sees this as a story where he was a fucking idiot and he learned some important lessons from his mistakes. It's not like he doesn't think what he did was wrong - he's telling this story now precisely because he DOES think it was wrong.

Exactly, but it doesn't seem to matter. We live in a world where you can fuck up, say the wrong thing, and you are essentially fucked from that point on. Isn't the whole point of Progressivism to learn from the past? Does that mean that that can only happen after a person dies and someone else learns from their mistakes or can it be a learning experience in one person's journey? That's a big problem that I have with the world today is that there's no opportunity to give a sincere apology. You apologize, people think you're just being disingenuous and trying to save face. So you better never get detention in school for throwing a piece of paper and hitting someone with it or there goes your career. Obviously, that's quite a bit of hyperbole. It seems like everything is taken at face value these days where no one bothers reading the fine print and even if they did? Fuck him, he made a bad choice 40 years ago, realizes he's an idiot, even still throw him in the fire.

Edika

Reaction score
What people seem to not be able to understand is the background of someone and the circumstances he was raised. I've been living in N.Ireland for the last 5 years and I even if I just gotten an idea of an idea of how things where during the troubles, I can see how it has affected people and how things have been back then. Violence was just a turn away and bombs going off, army patrolling the street and army checkpoints where a normal occurrence. Tempers were running high and everyone was on the edge. Nobody seems to take that into account or even be aware of that which would certainly affect the behaviour of any rational being. Which as stated he's shown remorse and understanding how wrong that was.

@PunkBillCarson these people are not progressives, they're carricatures of progressives.

Yul Brynner

Change my pitch up! Smack my bitch up!
Reaction score
Has anyone actually said he is a racist apart from the media? Like what do normal non-famous black people think about this? I get the feeling the US media is intentionally trying to stir up racial conflict.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score

Personally I wasn't surprised, I'm more surprised with the current climate that he didn't see it coming. Unfortunately now, people won't open up about similar experiences which they've learned from for fear of this exact reaction. How badly has this damaged his career? I haven't really been following that well.

Maybe bringing up that Ad was a bad example as my point on activism seems to have been missed. :shrug:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How badly has this damaged his career?

Probably zero in the long term. About 90% of folks will forget by next week.

I mean, Roman Polanski fucks kids and hasn't been completely blacklisted from the entertainment industry.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Probably zero in the long term. About 90% of folks will forget by next week.

I mean, Roman Polanski fucks kids and hasn't been completely blacklisted from the entertainment industry.

True, something new will pop up and bury this one in it's place.

Christ, I had to google Roman Polanski - didn't recognize the name, now I wish I didn't. :ugh: