Licensed Floyd replacements/recommendations?

• Thread starter dimebagfan01
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
So long story short, I impulse-ordered myself a Chinese Jackson Firebird copy a little while back and I'm (mostly) happy with how it turned out! After a little setup work and a pickup swap, it plays and sounds pretty great, much to my surprise, however the one thing I keep finding myself having to fiddle with is the Floyd that it came with. I can intonate it and level it out just fine but as soon as I start to abuse it a little, it doesn't want to return to pitch. Most of my guitars have a Floyd (original and licensed) and I've never had this problem before but I knew I would probably have some hardware issues going into this purchase so I'm not too surprised or mad about it. I tried replacing the springs with some spares I had lying around and it didn't help much if at all. What are some other things I can try to fix the tuning issue before resorting to replacing the bridge altogether? And if I do end up going for a replacement, what are the specs/measurements I should be looking out for to make sure what I'm buying will just drop-in without any issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adieu

Reaction score
Probably Gotoh Japan.

Would need a picture though, some (un)licensed China "Floyds" have unusual shapes.

Btw, wdym "Jackson Firebird"? Actual MiC Jackson Firebird shape (is that a thing?) or weird Chinese knockoff Firebird with Jackson branding?

dimebagfan01

Crunch Berry
Reaction score
Probably Gotoh Japan.

Would need a picture though, some (un)licensed China "Floyds" have unusual shapes.

Btw, wdym "Jackson Firebird"? Actual MiC Jackson Firebird shape (is that a thing?) or weird Chinese knockoff Firebird with Jackson branding?
I'll grab a picture when I'm home from work later and post it. And it's a knockoff "Jackson" that looks pretty damn close from a distance. There's some finish flaws here and there but I ultimately got it to be a beater/project guitar that turned out to be way better than expected but still in need of some TLC. I think the only official import Jackson Firebirds were MiJ, bolt-on, and didn't have the center stripe but this one is neck through with the stripe, a reverse headstock, and I ordered it with a custom finish.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll grab a picture when I'm home from work later and post it. And it's a knockoff "Jackson" that looks pretty damn close from a distance. There's some finish flaws here and there but I ultimately got it to be a beater/project guitar that turned out to be way better than expected but still in need of some TLC. I think the only official import Jackson Firebirds were MiJ, bolt-on, and didn't have the center stripe but this one is neck through with the stripe, a reverse headstock, and I ordered it with a custom finish.
They made a neckthru Firebird for the Japanese market, but good luck finding one. I see ads for those knock-offs every time I'm on the 'Bay, and I know I'll just be disappointed. :lol:

I'll bet a Gotoh will fit fine.

Latest posts

')