Limited time offer (11/30/06): KxK Superstrat 7-string for $999

• Thread starter noodles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, things are starting to come together. Waiting for a few final bits of pricing, but this is what I think I'm going to go with:

- standard woods (maple neck, mahogany wings, ebony board)
- 25.5" scale
- blank board
- pearl redburst (ala ebmm) paint
- white KxK logo
- 6150 frets (normal jumbo)
- oiled neck
- abalone eye of horus body inlay (maybe)
- chrome hardware
- AN7 neck DS7 bridge pups
- DiMarzio coil split 5 way super switch
- UV/Jem style output jack
- debating piezos as it'd be really cool but very expensive in relation to the total price of the guitar

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I've begun the process and talked with Rob. Here are the specs I'm going with:

--25.5" scale
--27 frets
--4+3 headstock
--bridge/neck EMG-707s
--Road Hazard Yellow finish w/matching headstock and black logo
--thin neck profile like the prototype and 6120 frets

Haven't decided on the inlays, yet. I'm not going to add mucho hundreds of dollars to the price for weirdo inlays that add nothing but cosmetic value, but I'll probably get something snazzier than dots. I'm leaning toward diamonds. He's got a number of different inlay templates, and I'm going to check out those out before I decide.

Rob seems like a real good guy to deal with. Man, I'm gettin' excited about this!

By the way, here's a Road Hazard Yellow Jackson Soloist, to show you what that looks like:

4850_1.jpg

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, I've begun the process and talked with Rob. Here are the specs I'm going with:

--25.5" scale
--27 frets
--4+3 headstock
--bridge/neck EMG-707s
--Road Hazard Yellow finish w/matching headstock and black logo
--thin neck profile like the prototype and 6120 frets

Sounds cool. I'm just waiting on a reply to my last email with some pricing on a few things so I have my specs ready, then I'm calling to order.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
You'll definately have the brightest guitar on the board, Chris. :flame: :lol:

And the great thing is that I'll finally be able to say "I'm the brightest guitar player around" and have it be true. :)

I don't normally go for garish guitars, but that finish has been calling to me for many, many years.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, so is it wrong that I'm thinking about 27 frets just because I can get it? I really don't know that I'd ever use them, but I'm still thinking about it :lol:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
How much do you use the neck pickup? If the answer is hardly to not at all, then why not go for it? If you make heavy use of the neck pickup, then forget it, because the "neck" pickup on a 27 fret guitar is going to sound more like a middle pickup.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
How much do you use the neck pickup? If the answer is hardly to not at all, then why not go for it? If you make heavy use of the neck pickup, then forget it, because the "neck" pickup on a 27 fret guitar is going to sound more like a middle pickup.

That's what the tone knob is for. :)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Good call... hmmm neck pickup will be interesting as I use it a ton for cleans, but if I have piezos I won't be using it for that.. meh, for this one I think I'll just go 24 fret. The piezos will already be more than expensive enough (assuming Rob can get them, he needed to call and check).

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, Steve, how often do you find yourself around 22-24, wishing you had a few more frets?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, Steve, how often do you find yourself around 22-24, wishing you had a few more frets?

Well, give that my current seven has 22 frets, never :lol:

I'll stick with 24 on this one... what's going to be a bitch is two months from now when I want one of these with a trem and the special price is over :agreed:

I'm gonna call Rob today to put a deposit down even if he hasn't answered my last email, just so he knows I'm actually buying one of these and not waisting his time ;)

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
That works for you, since you have no pick attack. Seriously, I don't understand how you can get such a round sound out of an X2N and 1mm picks.

As little pick/string contact as possible, though I probably hold the pick at a somewhat different angle. It just sort of 'evolved'. Also, I've started using picks with a pointy tip, and that makes a big difference. I actually thought I sounded pretty attack-ish on the KXK, with its long scale and heavy strings. I can do a lot better that way on the girly-man strings I favor.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just put my deposit down. Revised specs:

- standard woods (maple neck, mahogany wings, ebony board)
- 25.5" scale
- blank board
- reverse inline headstock
- pearl redburst (ala ebmm) paint
- white KxK logo
- 6140 frets
- oiled neck
- abalone eye of horus body inlay
- chrome hardware
- AN7 neck DS7 bridge pups
- DiMarzio coil split 5 way super switch
- UV/Jem style output jack
- piezos (still looking into price/availability)

')