Limp Bizkit tuning

• Thread starter harvested
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

harvested

Reaction score
hey, does anybody know what's the tuning that Wes Borland from Limp Bizkit uses?
Limp Bizkit isn't a band with to much interest from me, but I've discovered a song from them called 'Counterfeit' and I saw that Wes uses/used a Ibanez 7-string (I guess it was an RG 7620, the video was from the 90s)
I searched for tabs...and they said that the tuning was a regular 6-string standard C# ...but on the video didn't look and sound like that..
so ..can somebody confirm this...or can somebody tell me what's the tuning that he uses??

thanks... :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
No,it's a six string tuning a seven string,with double high e,so if it's standard tuning
it's like this; E A D G B E E,Wes' tuning; 1 and 1 1/2 step down

Efekkt

NOTHING
Reaction score
No,it's a six string tuning a seven string,with double high e,so if it's standard tuning
it's like this; E A D G B E E,Wes' tuning; 1 and 1 1/2 step down

I don't get it, why use a 7 string then? I feel like there's some obvious reason but it really seems stupid to me?!

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
He's got a few tunings not just one.
Tuning #1 : C# F# B E G# C# C#
Tuning #2 : B F# B E G# C# C#
Tuning #3 : C# F# B E G# C# F#
On his four string guitar his tuning is F# F# B E

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't get it, why use a 7 string then? I feel like there's some obvious reason but it really seems stupid to me?!

So he gets 2 high C# strings, can't do that with a 6 string. It's only a step up from standard as well so I don't see how it's "to high":scratch:

Dylan7620

that guy
Reaction score

from what i can remember it's because they got their "in" from korn. basicly Ibanez was practicly throwing free 7 strings his way. like you wouldn't want that :rolleyes:
since then wes has been pretty upfront about his distain for sevens:noplease:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
from what i can remember it's because they got their "in" from korn. basicly Ibanez was practicly throwing free 7 strings his way. like you wouldn't want that :rolleyes:
since then wes has been pretty upfront about his distain for sevens:noplease:

First 2 albums were 7s with high E as a drone.

IIRC Wes mentioned along the lines of this back in Guitar World 98

Back during 3 Dollar Bill Y'all, he mentioned that he didn't like having the low B and played it at regular 6 string tuning (down to C#), and tried the high A in place of the high E. He didn't like that due to the string always breaking, so he replaced that with another low E tuned to the same as the low E String. It didn't work at all so he scrapped that idea and chucked on the extra high E and left it there to "see what happens".

After 2 albums, he scrapped the 7 string completely for Chocolate Starfish because he felt that he really didn't need the extra high E and that the first 2 Limp Bizkit albums can still be played on a regular six string anyway. At the time he was also pretty vocal about the 4 string and that he may have "abandon that idea completely" too.

Interesting note that back in 98 he did also say that he hated whammy bars and blocked the cavity of his sevens. Then when he ditched the 7 for a PRS, he started using the whammy bar again "in a rhythmic way". So it shouldn't be a surprise that his Yamaha sig has a fulcrum bridge and that weird nut.

harvested

Reaction score
thanks guy,
acctully i thought that this thread won't be such interesting as many people dislike Limp Bizkit...
okay..back on topic..
so in order to play that song I only need to drop the strings 1 & 1/2 steps down...right?? I don't mind if I don't have that other C# string as a drone

In this song he's doing some wird Harmonics at the 4th fret...I'll post a part f the tab

Chorus
C#-------------------------------------------------------------
G#-------------------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------
B---3--2--------3--2---------------3--2--------3--2------------
F#--3--2--------3--2---------------3--2--------3--2------------
C#--1--0--3--3--1--0---0-3--4--4---1--0--3--3--1--0--5-5-4-3-2-
H H H H H H H H H H H H
at the 3rd fret is an AH and at the 4th fret is a normal Harmonic....how does he do that?? is he using a whammy pedal?? or is he using the floyd??

thanks a buch

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Actually, both are natural Harmonics (lightly touch the string directly over the fret, not in between). The 4th fret is the 5th note of C# and the 4th fret is a major third.

To get the sound clear, you'll need to use the Bridge pickup on your guitar and a hefty amount of gain. And just add enough treble for clarity.

GazPots

Is A Complete Idiot.
Reaction score
a drone note.

You know, he doens't fret on that string and uses it to constantly produce the C# note behind whatever riff/idea he's playing.

')