Line 6 announcement on January 23rd. New amp?

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
I still plan HD pro x to use with my sansamps for bass because I feel it helps me shape the tone in an effective way (you better believe for portabilities sake though I am going to model it into my kemper). I just feel like I was dumped off into the deep end by line 6. I was excited because how much I love my HD pro, but I just feel this was a major step back for the reasons everyone has stated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VacantPlanet

Reaction score
I'm more disappointed more than anything. I scrimped and saved to get my HD because I had faith in Line 6. I had an XT for years, and it was super faithful and the updates/model packs were the best things about the unit. I bought the HD as an act of faith that Line 6 would continue to provide the awesome experience I had with my XT, but with better amps/fx. But they've done the complete opposite. The HD does have some issues that could be fixed with an update (Weird EQs, subpar IRs). It's not that I'm elitist or any other claims being made, but I feel that my money and faith have not been rewarded. Maybe I'm feeling entitled, which I don't care to admit my faults. It just seems like Line 6 has made a complete 180 from how it used to treat its users.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
i know that the pod HD series was absolutely amazing, so much so that i sold my main tube rig and ran an hd500 instead for ages. they came with an awesome product and let it become stale over the last 3 years with barely any updates or improvement to their flagship product while their competitors surpassed them with updates and improvements.

it seems that they have abandoned a large portion of their target market and just put out a tweaked version of a spider jam out to "reinvent the guitar amp".

im sure its not a bad product, but with all the potential line 6 has this seems disappointing to me. obviously i'm not the only one here who feels the same.

Yup. It's why I jumped ship and went to Axe FX. There's been about 4 firmware updates in the short time I've had it, and the team are very vocal on their forums.

It was an akward transition for me to make initially, considering I did Line 6 clinics in NZ haha. I'm still a huge advocate for the HD500 for it's price alone, but the Axe FX 2 is absolutely amazing and my #1 choice first and foremost.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Ironically, I've only recently started considering switching to an HD500 after never owning a single Pod.

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup. It's why I jumped ship and went to Axe FX. There's been about 4 firmware updates in the short time I've had it, and the team are very vocal on their forums.

It was an akward transition for me to make initially, considering I did Line 6 clinics in NZ haha. I'm still a huge advocate for the HD500 for it's price alone, but the Axe FX 2 is absolutely amazing and my #1 choice first and foremost.

i've seen his clinics in person, he's not kidding. as much as i loved my pod HD, the lack of updates (despite very vocal input from customers/endorsers) made it so stagnant - they had so much room for improvement - even if they charged for updates/upgrades. the tones were good, and it would take very little effort on their end to make them great. i'd still be happy with the HD series as a main unit if they only made few tweaks that the competition offer.

Nakon14

Smells like updog
Reaction score
I'm at NAMM and got to play it today. Is this something for us gigging guys who are used to Kempers/Axe FXs/etc? Not necessarily. But for the starter/hobbyist, this is pretty freakin' cool. I tested the tone match out with Back in Black, and in a couple seconds the amp had the tone nailed. I was actually pretty surprised when my rep told me that it was the XT amp models in the amp, they certainly don't sound or feel like them.

I do share the sentiment about it's reliance on iOS though. From what I understand you can save 4 patches directly to the amp, but pretty much everything else is done through the app. I'm going to spend more time with it tomorrow and get a better idea now that I've had an evening to digest (it's my first NAMM after all, it's been crazy!)

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Even though I don't have a Pod HD, I did own an XTL and now own an X3 bean, It is odd that there aren't that many updates for the HD series. The XT line had 4 in total; the FX Pack (which came bundled with the XTL), the Metal Shop, the Classic Pack and the Bass Pack. To my knowledge, there has been only 1 or 2 updates to the HD and it does seem like they are taking the 'mobile phone' approach where they'll release something and instead of selling firmware updates, they'll just make everyone buy a new unit.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I hate to be negative also but I really think this would be a major winner if it had the HD modelling. I truly felt the HD amps alone were awesome, a few of them even comparable to the "big boys" (where the HD500 fell off, was cab IRs were terrible) - but using the X3 sims, which aren't "bad" (I've done most of my gigs with a X3L) I think the HD amps are significantly better. I also believe it should of had a visual screen on the unit itself, not for deep editing but just like how the HD500 or even X3L did, so its not absolutely reliant on a tablet/phone to use. This new direction of gear requiring tablet/phones for all gear is ridiculous IMO, but of course I'm looking at it from a live standpoint, not just a practicing at home standpoint.

I was looking for a small "grab-n-go" solution this year, but it looks like the best option is the Atomic Amplifire into my Mackie DLM8. If I ever start playing shows again, I'll probably get that and keep my axefx II at home. Was really hoping for something cooler from Line 6 or Blackstar ID series though, kinda disappointing.

Lain

Reaction score
I'm at NAMM and got to play it today. Is this something for us gigging guys who are used to Kempers/Axe FXs/etc? Not necessarily. But for the starter/hobbyist, this is pretty freakin' cool. I tested the tone match out with Back in Black, and in a couple seconds the amp had the tone nailed. I was actually pretty surprised when my rep told me that it was the XT amp models in the amp, they certainly don't sound or feel like them.

I do share the sentiment about it's reliance on iOS though. From what I understand you can save 4 patches directly to the amp, but pretty much everything else is done through the app. I'm going to spend more time with it tomorrow and get a better idea now that I've had an evening to digest (it's my first NAMM after all, it's been crazy!)

Ask them if the app will be available for PC and android too please. :rolleyes:

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
As said before, the real disappointment here is that Line 6 seems to be favoring low end products. This is a guitar forum specifically named for seven string players. More than likely the majority of this forum is at least a little serious about this hobby. A new line 6 product in line with the ss spider series just doesn't excite us. I'm sure it's fine for what it is, but what it "is" is the problem I have with it.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
As said before, the real disappointment here is that Line 6 seems to be favoring low end products. This is a guitar forum specifically named for seven string players. More than likely the majority of this forum is at least a little serious about this hobby. A new line 6 product in line with the ss spider series just doesn't excite us. I'm sure it's fine for what it is, but what it "is" is the problem I have with it.

Great post. Line 6 seems to cater most to the casual/beginner guitar player, which is great, but as you state most of the people here are at least intermediate or are more devoted to the instrument etc. and are looking for higher end products or updates to existing products.

It would be my guess that controlling the beginner/casual player is where a lot of the money is, especially for Line 6, but I think they should continue to keep up with their higher end modelling and not ignore it like they seem to be doing.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Given that the Spider series sells really, really well, they're probably going where the money is; cheap modeling combos.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
The biggest problem about things like this is their limited lifespan. Many musicians are still using amps & pedals that are well over 30 years old. In 4 or 5 years when this amp will no longer work with what will be the current generation of iPad or iPhone, what are the people that bought it going to do with it ? It's one thing for it to break down and not be fixable but it's another altogether for them to make it specifically dependant on someone else's tech to be able to operate it.

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
The biggest problem about things like this is their limited lifespan. Many musicians are still using amps & pedals that are well over 30 years old. In 4 or 5 years when this amp will no longer work with what will be the current generation of iPad or iPhone, what are the people that bought it going to do with it ? It's one thing for it to break down and not be fixable but it's another altogether for them to make it specifically dependant on someone else's tech to be able to operate it.

That's a good point. It's likely that a product like this isn't exactly built to last either. And it's absolutely guaranteed that they drop all support for it in a couple years time.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Great, now the NSA can invade our privacy thru our amps. The one interesting thing (if I heard the guy right) is to upload a song to the cloud and it comes back with that guitar tone into the amp to be saved. Is this right? But unless its a head or a preamp I have little interest.

')