Line 6 HD100 Spider Valve + MXR GT-OD Noise

• Thread starter JosephEMG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JosephEMG

Guitarrus
Reaction score
I'm currently running my Line 6 HD 100 Valve Head with a Crybaby from Hell Wah and a MXR GT-OD. I know the head has its own Noise Gate (and it's turned on), but as soon as i turn the gain knob on the OD (while using distortion on the amp) comes an unbearable high pitched noise. Gain knob has to be at 0 in order for me to get minimal noise. Can a additional noise gate/supressor fix this?? Im looking into the NS-2, ISP Decimator, etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
You'll definitely want to get a gate if you're using the OD.

I'd run the guitar into the gate, then the OD into the front of the amp and keep the built in gate on.

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
I own that amp too. I used a Ns-2 in front of it. Its own noise gate is good enough for bedroom playing, but in a rehearsal situation its simply too weak.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I've found that the Decimator has much more range than the NS-2, so I'd try one of those out if the Boss isn't cutting it for you.

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure a gate is the answer here. The SV is an inherently noisy amp already (I've had 3, so I'm speaking from experience...). I used to run a Boss SD-1 in front of mine, and it wasn't causing that type of issue at all. Did you try looking at your preamp tubes? Do you maybe have one that's getting microphonic? Are they still stock? If so, I'd look into that too. The stock tubes do not have the best track record on those amps. Mine were DREADFUL, but I can't recall what I replaced them with.

JosephEMG

Guitarrus
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure a gate is the answer here. The SV is an inherently noisy amp already (I've had 3, so I'm speaking from experience...). I used to run a Boss SD-1 in front of mine, and it wasn't causing that type of issue at all. Did you try looking at your preamp tubes? Do you maybe have one that's getting microphonic? Are they still stock? If so, I'd look into that too. The stock tubes do not have the best track record on those amps. Mine were DREADFUL, but I can't recall what I replaced them with.

Haven't changed the tubes ever. They're still stock. Shame on me... let me look into that!

EDIT: I saw the tubes and they say 5881/6L6 Sovtek...I'm confused. Which one should I
replace them with? In the user's manual it says 5881 Sovtek. But on the webpage and tubes
themselves say 5881/6L6 Sovtek. The preamp tubes say 12XA7. Which one should I believe?

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
Haven't changed the tubes ever. They're still stock. Shame on me... let me look into that!

EDIT: I saw the tubes and they say 5881/6L6 Sovtek...I'm confused. Which one should I
replace them with? In the user's manual it says 5881 Sovtek. But on the webpage and tubes
themselves say 5881/6L6 Sovtek. The preamp tubes say 12XA7. Which one should I believe?

The 6L6 and 5881 are essentially the same - they are interchangeable. The important part is getting a matched set.

The preamp tubes are the ones you should look at for now though. They will be the ones that would cause the symptoms you're having if it is indeed the tubes. It's also the cheap way to troubleshoot. Power tubes are a bit more spendy.

JosephEMG

Guitarrus
Reaction score
The 6L6 and 5881 are essentially the same - they are interchangeable. The important part is getting a matched set.

The preamp tubes are the ones you should look at for now though. They will be the ones that would cause the symptoms you're having if it is indeed the tubes. It's also the cheap way to troubleshoot. Power tubes are a bit more spendy.

My local store has the Sovtek 5881/6L6 Quad Matched Set but I noticed it says that is a WXT model. The one's that the amp has stock are WGC. Does it matter? Do I need to Bias these new power tubes?

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
I would say no. Some would say yes.
If the amp starts to act funny, then get it biased.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
What are your settings on the amp and OD?

Don't worry about your power tubes (5881/6L6) look into the smaller ones, preamp tubes (12AX7/ECC83).

')