Line 6 HD147 head

• Thread starter Shannon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
The more I think about it, I'm thinking of getting an HD147 as my next amp purchase. I know I want a SS head that can do a variety of sounds. Being that I dug the tones from my old XT Live, the HD147 with the FBV Shortboard sounds like the best option for me.

Thoughts? Experiences? LET ME HEAR FROM YOU GUYS! Help an undecided gear whore settle his rig once and for all. Is there more to it than just looking like a shiny futuristic toaster? :lol:

I still plan to use my G-Flex cab with it (planning to add a 2nd cab as well).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
you hoe! I was going to get one and you talked me out of it! Way back in December. I couldn't be more happy with my Pod XTL and the poweramp though.

In store-experience, it's a fucking awesome head. The sound is very centralized, and perfect. It sounds amazing.:yesway: Only gripe that I have with it is the price...

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
David said:
you hoe! I was going to get one and you talked me out of it! Way back in December. I couldn't be more happy with my Pod XTL and the poweramp though.
Yeah, I think I remember talking you into the XTL because it fit your budget. If I go with the HD147, I'll problably still get a used one. Seems like you can get them for around $700-900.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
also... I'd check out the Line 6 Flextone HD head.
instAmplifiersAllLine_6_Flextone_HD_Head-resized200.jpg

It's supposedly, almost the exact same, except for a few effects. It's also 1/2 the price used.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, but the Flextones have the old style footcontroller & are quite a bit more limited compared to the newer generation amps. Finally, they've always seemed to have long delays when switching presets. It's just older school technology.

dysfctn

Reaction score
Any reason you're not looking into a Vetta II HD?

I only ask as I've been contemplating getting one for a while, but still can't make up my mind.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
dysfctn said:
Any reason you're not looking into a Vetta II HD?

I only ask as I've been contemplating getting one for a while, but still can't make up my mind.
The Vetta is cool. I messed with Donnie's old Vettas quite a bit. I'm more interested in crystal clear cleans & hi gain tones. The HD147 is suppose to be great at this. Versatile, yet simple.

I'm not interested in all the extra fluff the Vetta has. Too complicated & I really don't need it.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Shannon said:
The Vetta is cool. I messed with Donnie's old Vettas quite a bit. I'm more interested in crystal clear cleans & hi gain tones. The HD147 is suppose to be great at this. Versatile, yet simple.
That would be correct.:yesway:

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
:lol: @ Shannon.

Seriously... go for it. I still want to try out the HD147. I was actually going to suggest it in one of your other threads. :yesway:

jforsythe

jforsythe
Reaction score
I've been using the HD147 for about 2 1/2 years now. It's a very versitle and reliable amp, however, I've found that most of the amp choices are unusable in that they don't sound good. I personally use the 5150, the JCM800 Silver Jubilee, Fender Twin, and occationally the Cornford settings. I use an Alesis graphic EQ with all of the high gain tones because they all produce some nasty frequencies that sound very harsh to my ear. I used the HD147 exclusively on my demo so check out the link in my signature to hear it. Sorry for such a short description of the amp. I'm about to leave to work, so I'll get more into detail when I get home tonight.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
I love mine. If you can't find your sound with it, then you should go hang yourself:yesway:

Awsonme tone, it's very easy to set up all your sounds. Midi compatable. Plugs right into your computer. Looks super sexy. Great output options. Like most Line6's, you don't even need to plug into a cab to get a great live sound, just straight to the board.

I've never had any trouble with mine and have SERIOUSLY abused the crap out of it. I strongly recommend them to anyone looking for a great amp to use live, in the studio, or in the bedroom.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You may want to also consider the Tech 21 Trademark 300. It won't get you as many sounds at once, but i recently plugged a SansAmp into my Peavey power amp and G-Flex and was blown away by its distortion sounds. Three channels driving 300 watts of pristine solid state power could be a pretty hot rig.

And if you opt for the "vintage style" head rather than the steel front, it's got a bit more of a "sleeper" look than the butt-ugly HD147, at nearly half the price.

Mykie

Fatal Havoc
Reaction score
The HD147s models are based off the Vetta II, so if you get the Vetta II then you can make the same sounds and then some. I had an HD147 before I had the Vetta II and it rocks, but I was like fuck it, for $500 more I can have more tone and shit to mess with. I can download the presets from all Line 6 amps and PODs and play them on my Vetta II.

bulb

Reaction score
personally for the price i would just get a podxt and a poweramp (and if you can find one a vht valvulator). If you get a podxt live, the metal shop model pack and the carvin ts100 you would have more tones and effects, a MUCH warmer and less digital sound and it should cost you at the most as much as the hd147!

just my $.02

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Shannon doesn't like having his whole rig on the floor in harm's way.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Shannon said:
Yeah, I think I remember talking you into the XTL because it fit your budget. If I go with the HD147, I'll problably still get a used one. Seems like you can get them for around $700-900.

That's about how much I got mine for. I traded my Flextone II head and paid about $450 afterwards at GC for it. I use the shortboard with an expression pedal as my volume control. I'm very, very happy with my amp and I think you will be too, Shannon. You can really tweak the hell out of your sounds(which I haven't done yet) to really make them your own. :hbang:

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, guys. Keep 'em coming! :yesway:

darren said:
Shannon doesn't like having his whole rig on the floor in harm's way.
EXACTLY! I really loved the distortion tone I was getting out of my XT Live, but our show & crowd is way too energetic for the "brain" of my tone to sit on the floor. All it takes is a pitcher of beer to spill on it or some 300 pound fat kid using my it as a launching pad for a stage dive. No thanks.

I did sell it & went for an XT Pro. Cool unit, but there was just something about it that didn't sound nearly as good as the XT Live...even with the same settings. Weird, I know.

Maybe the HD147 is the ticket.

I'd love to try out the Trademark 300, but finding a dealer around here is like pulling teeth. Trust me, I have done a pretty exhaustive search.

jtm45

Reaction score
I'd love to give the HD147 a try but there's absolutely nowhere near me that stocks them.

I've heard quite a bit of stuff recorded using them and it's all sounded great.

Have you got any really nice patches you could send me for my Pod XT please Shannon? (if you still have it)
That would be very much appreciated as you're probably more experienced with programming Line 6 stuff than i am.

I still haven't got the best out of the EQ on it i don't think.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
jtm45 said:
I'd love to give the HD147 a try but there's absolutely nowhere near me that stocks them.

I've heard quite a bit of stuff recorded using them and it's all sounded great.

Have you got any really nice patches you could send me for my Pod XT please Shannon? (if you still have it)
That would be very much appreciated as you're probably more experienced with programming Line 6 stuff than i am.

I still haven't got the best out of the EQ on it i don't think.

Yeah, I need to go in and tweak all of my settings. But I'd like to do it when I get my cab(whenever the hell that's gonna be).

')