Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarBizarre

Listen to physics.
Reaction score
Helix FAQ - Helix - Line 6 Community

Coulda sworn they listed the amp models. Wonder if they're embarrassed.

All they have to do is offer a VHT Pitbull UL model and they beat Axe FX. :fawk:

A good ENGL, 5150, and Laney? Personally I'd like to be able to approach those Symphony X/Djent/Mattias Eklundh tones respectively, without having to .... around in BIAS for hours.

androponic

Reaction score
Amp list still in the replies from L6.

WhoWatt 100
Soup Pro
Stone Age 185
Tweed Blues Nrm
Tweed Blues Brt
US Small Tweed
US Deluxe Nrm
US Deluxe Vib
US Double Nrm
US Double Vib
Mail Order Twin
Divided Duo
Interstate Zed
Jazz Rivet 120
Essex A-15
Essex A-30
A-30 Fawn Nrm
A-30 Fawn Brt
Mandarin 80
Brit J-45 Nrm
Brit J-45 Brt
Brit Plexi Nrm
Brit Plexi Brt
Brit Plexi Jump
Brit P-75 Nrm
Brit P-75 Brt
Brit J-800
German Mahadeva
German Ubersonic
Cali Rectifire
ANGL Meteor
Solo Lead Clean
Solo Lead Crunch
Solo Lead OD
PV Panama
Line 6 Elektrik
Line 6 Doom
Line 6 Epic
Tuck n' Go
SV Beast Nrm
SV Beast Brt
Cali Bass
Cali 400 Ch1
Cali 400 Ch2
G Cougar 800

And effects list from another thread on Line 6
Input Blocks:
None, Multi (Guitar, Aux, Variax), Guitar, Aux, Variax, Variax Magnetics, Mic, Return 1, Return 2, Return 3, Return 4, Return 1/2, Return 3/4, S/PDIF, USB 3/4, USB 5/6, USB 7/8

Output Blocks:
Multi (1/4", XLR, Digital, USB 1/2), Path 2A, Path 2B, Path 2A+B, 1/4", XLR, Send 1/2, Send 3/4, Digital (S/PDIF, AES/EBU, or L6 LINK), USB 1/2, USB 3/4, USB 5/6

Distortion Models:
Minotaur, Compulsive Drive, Valve Driver, Top Secret OD, Scream 808, Hedgehog D9, Vermin Dist, Arbitrator Fuzz, Triangle Fuzz, Industrial Fuzz, Tycoctavia Fuzz, Megaphone

Dynamics Models:
Deluxe Comp, Red Squeeze, LA Studio Comp, Noise Gate, Hard Gate

EQ Models:
Simple EQ, Low Cut/High Cut, Parametric, 10-Band Graphic

Modulation Models:
Optical Trem, 60s Bias Trem, Script Mod Phase, Ubiquitous Vibe, Gray Flanger, Harmonic Flanger, Courtesan Flange, Chorus, 70s Chorus, Trinity Chorus, Bubble Vibrato, Vibe Rotary, 122 Rotary, 145 Rotary, AM Ring Mod, Pitch Ring Mod

Delay Models:
Simple Delay, Mod Chorus Echo, Multitap 4, Multitap 6, Ping Pong, Sweep Echo, Ducked Delay, Transistor Tape, Harmony Delay, Bucket Brigade, Adriatic Delay, Elephant Man

Reverb Models:
Plate, Room, Chamber, Hall, Echo, Tile, Cave, Ducking, Octo, 63 Spring, Spring, Particle Verb

Pitch/Synth Models:
Pitch Wham, Twin Harmony, 3 Osc Synth

Filter Models:
Mutant Filter
Mystery Filter [Hi, Stilwel—we miss you, brother!]

Wah Models:
UK Wah 846, Teardrop 310, Fassel, Weeper, Chrome, Chrome Custom, Throaty, Vetta Wah, Colorful, Conductor

Volume/Pan Models:
Volume Pedal, Gain, Pan

Send/Return:
Send 1, Send 2, Send 3, Send 4, Send 1/2, Send 3/4, Return 1, Return 2, Return 3, Return 4, Return 1/2, Return 3/4, FX Loop 1, FX Loop 2, FX Loop 3, FX Loop 4, FX Loop 1/2, FX Loop 3/4

Looper:
Mono, Stereo

Split:
Y, A/B, Crossover

Merge:
Mixer

mikah912

Reaction score
Its starting to seem like that, the continuous lack of Metal amp options in Line 6 range suggests it. Like in the original Pod Farm you had the Diezel Amp etc. Loads more options, fast track to now and half are missing. Metal Amp pack comes out for the HD and its what 2 amps for proper High Gain?.

If this really is the case then I will 100% be on the Kemper trail

I'm as critical of the lack of new amp options as anyone, but they already have at least 5 "proper" high gain amps in the lineup:

ENGL Fireball
Bogner Uberschall
Dual Recto
Soldano SLO

Additionally, the JCM800 and Bogner Shiva can get there with a boost in front if modeled accurately.

Finally, each of the 3 Line 6 "original" amps (Elektrik, Epic, Doom) are high gain models.

There are a good number of high gain options in the lineup already. I simply wanted something contemporary like a Randall Satan/Thrasher, PRS Archon, Orange Dark Terror/Rockerverb mk II or EVH 5150 III. None of those are "obscure" or "boutique", and there's no reason for Line 6's amp lineup to be frozen in time as of 10 years ago.

Lain

Reaction score
Can't help but think how durable this is with a "touch sensitive footswitches", a joystick, all those lights and displays. All cool ideas.... but given Line6's track record of broken usb ports and questionable support....

mikah912

Reaction score
Can't help but think how durable this is with a "touch sensitive footswitches", a joystick, all those lights and displays. All cool ideas.... but given Line6's track record of broken usb ports and questionable support....

Fair criticism, but I've read of increased stress testing for this unit that goes beyond anything they did for the HD500X.

In fact, I'd say that this is a direct response to people who believed their past units were not robust enough in construction.

Lach Rae Dawn

Reaction score
Hmm that list of amps/fx doesn't seem too bad at all.
Even for the heavier stuff.

I just hope that they add in a few more high gain amps (even later on with an expansion)

I am a little disappointed at the fact there is no "ambiance" reverb!
But again that could come in a later expansion!

I also hope Line 6 supports this new unit better than their HD series. Half-way through the HD setup they bring out the HD-X setup, and that really put a dent in sharing of presets/patches. And I also hope that they fix their website, cause as of now that thing is ridiculous to try to navigate. (hope they did a better job with the interface on the Helix)

Lach Rae Dawn

Reaction score
Yeah. When you get sec, check out some YouTube vids of it.

Oh ok, I didn't realize that is what they called their ambiance reverb. Cool

This unit is checking off so many boxes its unreal... Now to just hear how this thing does (overall) for metal, djent, and things of the like.

I will have to check out that Particle Verb soon.

Lain

Reaction score
Tone is good in that video imo. But he is using a variax.... would like to see it with a normal guitar.

Lach Rae Dawn

Reaction score
Tone is good in that video imo. But he is using a variax.... would like to see it with a normal guitar.

Agreed.

That, and someone play some heavier stuff with it. I want a wide range to showcase what this unit can do... Not the same exact tones that they showcase for every piece of guitar processing equipment that comes out. :rolleyes:

GuitarBizarre

Listen to physics.
Reaction score
Agreed.

That, and someone play some heavier stuff with it. I want a wide range to showcase what this unit can do... Not the same exact tones that they showcase for every piece of guitar processing equipment that comes out. :rolleyes:

They're demonstrating those tones because that's what people want to hear done well and they're not so saturated and overgained that other things are still audible.

Metal is great and all, but lets be honest - Once you've heard a few Ola demos, do you not get the impression that he makes every amp sound like every other amp? I certainly couldn't pick some of the tones apart from each other if I had to in an ABX. Maybe Line 6 have decided that it's not worth competing in the field of "Who can do the same thing the best"?

Dead-Pan

Reaction score
I am a Kemper user and comparing I was not impressed with the tone. A bit harsh like the HD500. Not saying it couldn't be better. Great player though and that really helps the video sound decent.

mikah912

Reaction score
They're demonstrating those tones because that's what people want to hear done well and they're not so saturated and overgained that other things are still audible.

Metal is great and all, but lets be honest - Once you've heard a few Ola demos, do you not get the impression that he makes every amp sound like every other amp? I certainly couldn't pick some of the tones apart from each other if I had to in an ABX. Maybe Line 6 have decided that it's not worth competing in the field of "Who can do the same thing the best"?

I think there are enough 7 and 8 string players (and I'm not one of them) these days that having a demo that caters to music predominantly played on those instruments is entirely justified.

Even beyond that, hearing actually clean tones would be good, not just playing classic rock, but also jazz and more complex type chords using augmented, melodic minor and diminished tonality. Hearing those with and without ambient reverbs would also be helpful.

The point is, people play more than pentatonic blues on Plexis. Even an HD500X can sound great playing that stuff.

Show us more than that.

')