Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
It's all new models rather than adjusted or updated versions of old models for once. Good opportunity to outdo everything they did before, and why taint that by keeping custom models that are 7 years+ old?

well then why are they doing
Line 6 Elektrik
Line 6 Doom
Line 6 Epic

and leaving out Big Bottom then?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

celticelk

Reaction score
well then why are they doing
Line 6 Elektrik
Line 6 Doom
Line 6 Epic

and leaving out Big Bottom then?

The Line 6 guys explained this over on TGP: these models were *originally* developed for Helix, and were ported over to the HD500.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I also just had a thought...perhaps they don't really bother modelling some of the higain amp channels because they have other models that do that feature better, like the clean channel on most higain amps is kinda meh and you have Deluxe and Twin Reverb models, so you would just use those instead. IE: most clean channels try to emulate a Fender, most crunch channels try to emulate a Marshall, etc.

You're 100% right. If you look at the Pod X3, even though there are 72 (or so) amps to choose from, more than a few of them sound quite similar. It's almost as if they used the same model but just added a more extreme eq profile to it and called it something different. Perhaps with the Helix, they decided against adding all of the extras because, like you said, with a bit of eq-ing you can get very similar tones from one of the 'base' amps.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
The Line 6 guys explained this over on TGP: these models were *originally* developed for Helix, and were ported over to the HD500.
I thought that the Elektrik was a re-release of the original Uber model, which they revamped in one of the first firmware updates.

Does anyone know if Line6 ever confirmed that back then? Or did everyone just jump to that conclusion and keep repeating it? :scratch:

lewis

Reaction score
I thought that the Elektrik was a re-release of the original Uber model, which they revamped in one of the first firmware updates.

Does anyone know if Line6 ever confirmed that back then? Or did everyone just jump to that conclusion and keep repeating it? :scratch:

This!!!. Exactly what i believed to be the case

Shask

Reaction score

Yes, the original Uber was messed up. They found mistakes in it. When they fixed it everyone complained and wanted the messed up version available. They put it back in and called it Elektrik.

imijj

Reaction score
Many of the stock Kemper profiles are lacking in high end as they are made to either sit in a mix or be played loud.

That doesn't say the Kemper is band limited by any means.

So many Kemper/Fractal guys seem worried that Line6 is going to make a great product. Wonder why? There are like 3 blooze rock youtube clips and everyone is convinced it won't touch their babies.

wakjob

Reaction score
The thing I liked most about the FAS and KPA I owned was the Linux-esq or "open source like" feeling I got from both of them. It felt like the sky was the limit... infinitely expandable and tweakable.

With Line 6 it's different. It feels like your locked into their little world of Line 6 restrictions.

With Yamaha now in control I have a little more faith... hope maybe, that things will be different with this new generation of Line 6 stuff.

I'm pulling for them. But I'm betting against them.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
So many Kemper/Fractal guys seem worried that Line6 is going to make a great product. Wonder why? There are like 3 blooze rock youtube clips and everyone is convinced it won't touch their babies.

Not a typical Fractal guy, but I own an Axe. The reason I'm convinced is because I used to be a Line6 guy and nothing they've ever done has even come close. Maybe this one is different.

What's your axe to grind in this man? No pun intended. I've seen you post a bit of Fractal/Kemper hate lately. Modeling hater or expensive modeling hater?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
He kinda went a bit too far... but he's kinda right. A few people are jumping to conclusions and are saying this thing sucks because we haven't heard any metal clips yet. :lol:

lewis

Reaction score
At this point why dont they take orders direct and allow you to choose what amps the helix ships with. This would save money for me as i never use 749 of the 750 fender amps that come with it. Then as new amps get made and become available i would then have no problem paying for those if i got the helix originally minus all the amps i have no interest in saved abit of a money.

Custom designing your options seems the way to go for me.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
What's your axe to grind in this man? No pun intended. I've seen you post a bit of Fractal/Kemper hate lately. Modeling hater or expensive modeling hater?

I think the high end modelling community bring this attitude on themselves by derailling a thread about a new line 6 product they have no intention of ever buying and trying to rubbish something not even released yet whilst trying to promote the unit they own.

Laimon

Reaction score
I think the high end modelling community bring this attitude on themselves by derailling a thread about a new line 6 product they have no intention of ever buying and trying to rubbish something not even released yet whilst trying to promote the unit they own.

That happens, but honestly, in Line 6 case skepticism is quite due. I am not trying to trash the Helix, I actually hope it's a super breakthrough. It's just that I've never been impressed with any of Line 6 previous amp modelling. On top of that, I find that "profiling" seems to yield much better results than "modelling" (as always, IMO), and since the Helix takes the latter approach, I have even less faith.
I can't speak for other people, but I am not here to reinforce that *whatever product I use* is the best, so *new product coming out* can't beat it. I'd actually be glad if that would happen. I just don't expect it to, for the aforementioned reasons.

ProphetOfHatred

Reaction score
Meaning that anything mainstream inevitably sucks? That equation goes quite a bit too far, IMO.

You gotta admit it's accurate at least 90% of the time. (for guitar gear though I have no idea, boss seems to be the most popular pedal manufacturer and I think most of their pedals sound like ....)

Shask

Reaction score
At this point why dont they take orders direct and allow you to choose what amps the helix ships with. This would save money for me as i never use 749 of the 750 fender amps that come with it. Then as new amps get made and become available i would then have no problem paying for those if i got the helix originally minus all the amps i have no interest in saved abit of a money.

Custom designing your options seems the way to go for me.

Saving programming would never save money, saving hardware would. Giving less amp models would never cut down on price, but cutting down on hardware would. Fancy displays, extra outputs, switches, etc... that is the stuff that costs money....

celticelk

Reaction score
You gotta admit it's accurate at least 90% of the time. (for guitar gear though I have no idea, boss seems to be the most popular pedal manufacturer and I think most of their pedals sound like ....)

Unless you can produce a non-subjective definition of "sucks," no, I don't.

')