Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
What happens when you drop a headstock on the LCD screen?:eek: Line6 haven't rolled a Tank over it thus far. The Tank Test. :lol: The Line6 Tested To Destruction Series. The Niagara Falls Test.:cool: Helix at the Grand Canyon. Helix Vs Gravity. Helix Vs Robb Flynn....Today we will be using a Ten Ton Hammer.:lol: Helix will Take My Scars.

I asked in the L6 forums how robust, scratch resistant or durable that LCD display is. The L6 rep told me that it is about the same material as tablet screens. Could probably take real world use, but not abuse.

Would hesitate to bring that in a stageless gig with people moshing all around.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
True, the Axe Fx is really hard to adjust on the fly. You would need the Axe Edit most of the time. Wondering how is the UI on the FX8 and AX8. If I can adjust every important parameter during a gig and rehearsal, like how this Helix probably can, then that would be a great thing.

I'm honestly waiting for the AX8. But the Helix is right on top of my buying list.

I always find this funny. I think the Axe-FX II is incredibly easy to use. I edit the front panel all the time. Many times that is easier than dragging my laptop to the room where my gear is.

I dont know why everyone says is so hard to use :scratch:

I did much more clicking and menu scrolling on the HD500.

InFlames235

Reaction score
I always find this funny. I think the Axe-FX II is incredibly easy to use. I edit the front panel all the time. Many times that is easier than dragging my laptop to the room where my gear is.

I mean, I'm sure if you scroll the manual for hours then it becomes easy. I think it's the fact that you have to read through a manual in the first place to figure it out is what people want to avoid. I'm not a manual person, but I will read through one for the convenience for a multi-FX unit as long as it doesn't take 10+ hours to figure it all out.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
I mean, I'm sure if you scroll the manual for hours then it becomes easy. I think it's the fact that you have to read through a manual in the first place to figure it out is what people want to avoid. I'm not a manual person, but I will read through one for the convenience for a multi-FX unit as long as it doesn't take 10+ hours to figure it all out.

Last night my friend brought his XL over because he was having trouble dialing in tones, and he also wanted to tone match some profiles off my Kemper. It was really easy, and I was able to do a lot of deep editing from the panel while he played to optimize the patches we made. That was my first time doing any deep editing, so it's not that bad.

On a side note, he and I both want a helix rack just because it's pretty, and we both like line 6 effects :agreed:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I'd never say it's hard, it's just inconvenient compared to other interfaces, and I'm not just talking about the screen.

FRETPICK

Banned
Reaction score
I asked in the L6 forums how robust, scratch resistant or durable that LCD display is. The L6 rep told me that it is about the same material as tablet screens. Could probably take real world use, but not abuse.

Would hesitate to bring that in a stageless gig with people moshing all around.

I'd probably add ZAGG Invisible Shield.

Shask

Reaction score

Easy. Just ignore it if don't what it is.

You really only need GBMTV to get a good tone. The rest are just for customization.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score

Sure, tweaking the axe gets easier in time. and I do agree that tweaking an HD500 to have great tones is way harder.

It's just not a WYSISYG interface and it could have been more fluid. It could just be me anyway. And compared to what Line 6 is saying about the Helix interface, it seems like the better system for user ease.

mongey

Reaction score

agree. I spent the first few months avoiding it then one day had a go setting up a preset with the screen and I think its really well done workflow wise

the helix is going to sell no doubt. even if it at only sounds as good as a HD500 it will sell on the features , and it should sound better

Hell , worldwide it will probably out sell the total sold of the axe fx and kemper combined in the first month if they get their supply right

jjcor

Reaction score
I'm really tempted to get one of these and run it with my archon (that's still in transit) 4cm. And letting go of my powered kemper if this lives up to the hype. I just hope it doesn't tone suck like the hd500 did.

Question though, can it control channels switching on amps? Or would I still need to use a rjm midi?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I do believe it mentioned that it had relay outputs, yes

It has one, yeah.

Also, it looks like it also has an expression output jack, so you can use the Helix's expression pedal to control an external unit. It's little things like that I find pretty neat, but it makes sense, given the amp has four friggen loops in it. :lol:

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
I completely forgot about midi switching. Now I am definitely getting one!

Axe Cop

Reaction score
Another factor people are forgetting about when it comes to price and hardware is line 6 is a much much larger company than fractal and they have been around a loy longer. This allows them to get components at a much larger discount.

DarrellM5

Reaction score
Here's a new video. It's actually showing off their wireless system but it was recorded using the Helix straight into Pro Tools over USB. Sounds awesome to me.

https://youtu.be/h5p1Sm2quRg

I'm not sure how to embed it so you'll have to click on the link unless someone else wants to post.

elkinz

Pun Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds really nice. I just want to hear the high gain sounds now because that's what always disappoints me!

im pretty confident clean tone is gonna be pretty sweet through this thing from the little amount of vids iv seen on it! the sounds on the guitars hes getting in that video are nice!

big_aug

Reaction score
Well, Sweetwater has a 36 month financing deal and they gave me 10% off, so I preordered. I cant believe Ive reached the point of preordering a $1349 piece of equipment lol

')