Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lain

Reaction score
Yep, i looked at a local store and the rack version (without the footswitch) was 500 bucks more expensive than the floor model. I wanted to ask why.

When i visited the site again shortly after making the post to double check if the optional footswitch controller was really not included, they changed the price already.

Still the rackmount has less buttons and no expression predal but costs the same. Never really used rack mounted stuff myself. So why is that so? Shouldn't the rackmount be cheaper?

Nick

Reaction score
I think the rackmount has more connectivity than the floor model. That tended to be the case with their previous rack versions.

UK prices are:

£1,070 - Floor Model
£1,070 - Rack Model
£350 (i think) - Rack floor controller

Source: Andertons have it up for pre order.

The fact this thing will take 3rd party IR's is great because I think it will bring Line 6 back into relevance and I think the price is reasonably competitive. Will I sell my axe fx 2 and buy one, no chance. But will it be a legit option for someone in the market for a top end modeler, absolutely at that price point.

vent187

Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/line6/metal-scream-808-angl-meteor?in=line6/sets/helix[/SC]

Has anyone heard these yet? Some Helix metal tonage.

Nick

Reaction score
sounds decent. Would be cool to get some real metal up there and not just the popular bro metal quasi-djent they have. Thats the in thing just now though and probably what will shift units.

For me I want to hear the sort of imperfections you hear in a real amp and modern metal has all but eliminated that sort of thing from mixes. Maybe I'm just too old and I dont get current music but I think these units should be judged on whether they do all the things real amps do not just the good things.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Not sure if its the two guys hyping it up, but they have REALLY good things to say about it.

They also say it weights 15 pounds. That's 5 pounds heavier than the HD500.

EDIT: They demo the 5150 at 9:30. Dual Recto at 12:25. Uberschall (lead tone) at 25:02.

They sound kinda muddy, but I found all the stock patches on a POD HD sounded muddy without any kind of TS in front, and I'm guessing they were running most of the patches without a boost. Also probably has to do with them trying to get something more natural sounding, so it doesn't sound unnaturally tight.

Also, the tuner is really nice. Probably the best tuner I've seen on a modeler for obvious reasons. :lol:

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score

Not sure if its the two guys hyping it up, but they have REALLY good things to say about it.

They also say it weights 15 pounds. That's 5 pounds heavier than the HD500.

EDIT: They demo the 5150 at 9:30. Dual Recto at 12:25. Uberschall (lead tone) at 25:02.

They sound kinda muddy, but I found all the stock patches on a POD HD sounded muddy without any kind of TS in front, and I'm guessing they were running most of the patches without a boost. Also probably has to do with them trying to get something more natural sounding, so it doesn't sound unnaturally tight.

Also, the tuner is really nice. Probably the best tuner I've seen on a modeler for obvious reasons. :lol:

That 5150 sounded goooood and juicy!

mikah912

Reaction score
I thought all of the tones were amazing, really. I'm swung back toward ordering this puppy now.

Lain

Reaction score
Certainly sounds good in that demo. And they seem to have finally lost the "Line 6 tone" that i hated in all the Pod generations.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Impressive tones. I'm happy that this isn't just a newer updated POD but a genuine new product that sounds good with new modelling for the amps and new cab models (Line 6 cab models have always been horrible in my experience).

This may be a real competitor for Axe Fx 2 going forward, especially with everything in a pedalboard version which is great for live use and saving space (don't need the rack with an uber expensive pedalboard controller).

Dead-Pan

Reaction score
Sounds good but I was under the impression at first that is was a camera mic, they then stated in the video that the guitar was indeed recorded direct. That changes things for me.

remus1710

Reaction score
can't wait to see a straight comparasion between the axe fx and this from ola or someone in the metal scene... i ve saved up for a year now... and i don t know what to buy :|||

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Sounds great. Interested to hear it through a mic'd cab, it seems pretty organic already.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
when they switched fram strat to a les paul, you could hear the nuances you couldn't hear from the previous pods.

these models sound fat, raw and not thin-ish/overly trebly like the hd. you got that amp in a room vibe going on. i think i'm sold.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that they were also probably using the stock cabs instead of Ownhammer/Redwirez/GuitarHacks, etc... which would probably improve the sound quite a bit.

elkinz

Pun Enthusiast
Reaction score
man that video has far surpassed my expectations of how it would sound. It sounds fantastic!!

Surprised at how... non-digital it sounds! :D

')