Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
Awesome! Did you get to try the pre amp models through a power amp? Is it really miles above the HD500 in terms of the quality of the modeling?

Unfortunately I didn't get to try it through a power amp. But if you ask me if it can sound good through an PA speaker, it'll sound killer through a power amp and cab. And I will say it really is miles above the HD. I'm going on record and saying it sounds better and more lifelike than an Axe FX.

lewis

Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't get to try it through a power amp. But if you ask me if it can sound good through an PA speaker, it'll sound killer through a power amp and cab. And I will say it really is miles above the HD. I'm going on record and saying it sounds better and more lifelike than an Axe FX.

If thats the case, Line 6 will dominate this market if they can finally shake that tag of "poor mans" digital product they seem to have.

Their pricing is so competitive against the opposition. I can see em making a tonne of money if this is as good as your saying.

Nick

Reaction score
my friend is thinking of getting one of these so im happy it sounds like it will be good. it will be interesting to see if Line6 drop their bull.... of paid updates as they seem to have dropped the bull.... of not using 3rd party IRs on this unit as well.

If they keep paid updates in place I still see them being second place behind Fractal in the digital market but I reckon they will beat out Kemper if the tones are as good as described above.

lewis

Reaction score
my friend is thinking of getting one of these so im happy it sounds like it will be good. it will be interesting to see if Line6 drop their bull.... of paid updates as they seem to have dropped the bull.... of not using 3rd party IRs on this unit as well.

If they keep paid updates in place I still see them being second place behind Fractal in the digital market but I reckon they will beat out Kemper if the tones are as good as described above.

Im still leaning towards a Kemper regardless and I own so many Line 6 products now its stupid. Ive grown tired of them tbh.

Alex6534

Reaction score
So here's my write up on my first impressions with the Helix

So I got to work and the Line 6 rep was already there and had everything set up. We had it going direct into a QSC PA speaker.

My first impression was that the unit was built like a tank. It looked and felt incredible. We turned it on and went through some patches he made over the past couple months he had the Helix and each one sounded amazing. The quality of the sound was hands down the best I've ever heard from a digital amp(I've owned several PODS, an Axe FX, and use Kempers frequently). We went through so many of the models and each one was a perfect representation of the amp.

He then gave me a quick run down of all the features. Most of with I already knew about from watching videos, but it was nice actually seeing them hands on and demonstrated for me.

After a quick walk through we got to actually making some patches. I couldn't believe how quickly I got the hang of using this thing. Obviously with working with other modelers in the past I had a good idea of what I was doing, but everything on the Helix is laid out so well and it's really unbelievably accessible. I was even using the more in depth features like the touch capacitive foots witches to tweak things, and it was so easy and fast I couldn't believe how good my patches sounded in such a short amount of time.

Lastly before he left I talked to him briefly on the rack vs. floorboard versions. I explained to him how I've always had the rack version of all my units and prefer it because I don't love the idea of my amp being on the floor or stepped on haha. He told me about all the tests they put it through to make sure it can hold up on
The round, and even explained to me how he has been traveling with the Helix. Whenever he flies with it he throws it in a suit case and checks it onto the plane as opposed to bringing it as a carry on. Even with doing that and owning it for a couple months the unit looked and operated good as new.

All in all.. There's no way I'm NOT buying. Everyone at my work quickly became believers and a good amount of us will be getting them as soon as we can, and I would recommend the same to anyone thinking about getting a new digital amp.

So how would you compare it to the Kemper? I use that with an Alto TS115A at the moment. One rack for gigging and one lunchbox for studio, considering selling one if this is as good as it looks.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
<Oprah mode on>
No he didn't!
</Oprah mode off>

:D

(btw, Axe FX I or II?)

Axe FX 2 XL+ or whatever model they're on now.

So how would you compare it to the Kemper? I use that with an Alto TS115A at the moment. One rack for gigging and one lunchbox for studio, considering selling one if this is as good as it looks.

I would say it sounds just as good and it's more flexible.

big_aug

Reaction score
Stop it. Just stop it. You are making me so damn hot for Helix.

QuantumCybin

Lost In Thought
Reaction score
Watched the whole 43 minute video and I have to say, I'm getting some serious GAS. It sounds incredible!

big_aug

Reaction score
"I think Line 6 could have pitched this as a direct competitor to the AxeFx, but they didn't. It's like half the price."

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
F, this interface and everything it's capable of is so impressive..... I'm still not convinced the tone is as good as a Kemper though. I guess the good news is I can try one for myself in a month or so to see.

')