Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Just give it time and practice and you'll get it. If you want I can give you my my patch so you can see how I did everything

If I could grab it that would be great! I love the helix, but its just this whole area that I am so unstuck and so frustrated with...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

that short guy

Reaction score
If I could grab it that would be great! I love the helix, but its just this whole area that I am so unstuck and so frustrated with...

Lol that was me 3 years ago with the POD HD. It wasn't until I was actual put on bed resr because I tore my Achilles that I spent several hours just learning howv to use it. Luckily most of that knowledge transferred. Keep working away at it, you'll get it.

I'll post the patch when I get home tonight.

Reaction score
I'm using my audio technica athm50x's to monitor. I have listened to people's recordings on you tube, who have said no post processing, and copied there exact same settings on my helix only to get two completely wildly different amp tones when using the same monitors to listen. Listening from the direct headphone out is pretty harsh too. I could understand if there were minor differences in tone listening to monitors and then the cab but they're absolutely worlds apart for me. To the point that I'm not sure if my headphone out is functioning correctly, extreme fizz and crackle, or if dialled out massive wet blanket. I know that the problem doesn't lie with the headphones, using these as a listening platform to other people's recorded tones or albums they do not produce the fizz or wet blanket sound. However listening to any recorded tone or to headphone out there's is just no way I can replicate anything close to that dialled in sweet tone that doesn't sound like listening to a speaker covered in either crumpled cellophane or a pillow... What am I missing, isn't the point that it should be able to do this without bulk post eq and editing?
Whoa. It might be the AT headphones you're using. There's nothing wrong with them, but they're 38 Ohms, which is really low. Helix's headphone amp is LOUD and designed to drive higher-impedance studio headphones above stage volume. You may be experiencing some distortion, especially if the PHONES knob is past 10 o'clock or so. If you have a friend with higher-impedance headphones (150-200 Ohm or higher?), it might be worth an experiment.

In addition, headphones sound radically different from a cab in a room. Even the size of your head can notably alter bass response.

Hope this helps.

Vrollin

Reaction score
I'll see what I can do to check out some other headphones. It just strange that even if I crank them through the laptop they don't distort in the same way. It's not like they aren't capable of providing tight undistorted playback at high volumes... I'll try listening to some clips through the laptop and then using the helix as a sound card later on.
That said, looking at the manual last night, the headphone out is 12ohms from memory, so I would have thought they should be ok...?

Reaction score
I'll see what I can do to check out some other headphones. It just strange that even if I crank them through the laptop they don't distort in the same way.
Yep, and high-impedance headphones behave almost in the opposite way, as laptop headphone amps typically can't drive them properly.
That said, looking at the manual last night, the headphone out is 12ohms from memory, so I would have thought they should be ok...?
Correct, but that's independent of the amplifier inside. We could've designed the headphone amp to accommodate Apple earbuds (free with phone) or Sennheiser HD600s ($300), and we erred on the side of pro. Some manufacturers try to find a happy medium, but since Helix can process multiple band members simultaneously, we wanted the headphone out to be able to drive multiple pairs of cans with a splitter.

To make laptops and smartphones more and more battery-efficient, consumer headphone amps get wimpier and wimpier, requiring headphone manufacturers to make lower and lower-impedance cans to hear music loud enough. Fifteen years ago all headphones would've probably sounded great through Helix.

That's not to say that your AT headphones' impedance is definitely the culprit, but it's worth checking out another pair or two.

FWIW, the Apple EarPods (45 Ohm) I have here in the office sound marginally passable from my MacBook Pro and TERRIBLE through Helix. The Sennheiser HD280 Pros (64 Ohm) sound m'eh from the laptop and clean/decent through Helix, though they're voiced a bit boxy for my tastes. The Senneheiser HD600s (300 Ohm) at home sound good through the laptop and absolutely stellar through Helix.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Is there such a device like an attenuator for a headphone jack that could be plugged in line to use any headphone and have them sound reasonable??

axb312

Reaction score
Ummm... will the Helix sound good with my M-Audio AV40s?

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Is there such a device like an attenuator for a headphone jack that could be plugged in line to use any headphone and have them sound reasonable??

You can find a headphone amp on like amazon that could help you out.

that short guy

Reaction score

Hey man sorry for the delay, life kinda got a little crazy yesterday. But here's the tone I use regularly. you'll probably need to make small eq adjustments for your specific guitar (I use mostly all mahogany guitars with the EMG 57/66 sets in my 6, 7, and 8's).

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/2273400/

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
They only go down to 85Hz, so don't expect to get much thump from them, but I'm generally a fan of M-Audio monitors. Inherited a pair of BX8s that are on my desk right now.

I rock a pair of BX8a's and they sound great haha. The SBX10 subwoofer would probably be a good match for the AV's that he has.

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
Finally got to try one of these out the other day at Sweetwater, and it was BA. Didn't have a lot of time to really mess with settings, but from some of the presets I played, it sounded great. It responded like an actual tube amp, and is definitely a huge step above any of their POD products. I've heard a lot of metal tones, but haven't really heard how it handles Ambient or Post-Metal stuff. Anyone have a clip or a video that kinda shows that stuff off? Especially if there's any big, shimmery reverbs or a reverse delay.

Gitte

Reaction score
Hey there,
I have a question about the preset switching. I have an issue that there is quite a lot of latency when I change the preset. Do you guys know how I can fix this issue?
Thank you guys :)

jbealsmusic

Reaction score
Hey there,
I have a question about the preset switching. I have an issue that there is quite a lot of latency when I change the preset. Do you guys know how I can fix this issue?
Thank you guys :)
That exists on literally every digital device and is unavoidable. KPA, Axe, Helix, and all the way down the line. It's slightly better on some units vs others, but they all do it.

The best way to get around it would be to stay within a single preset and use the "Snapshots" for major tone changes within a song. Then maybe only change presets between songs.

Vrollin

Reaction score
I seriously doubt there is any need to swap presets within a song when we now have snapshots and as much dsp that the unit holds...

that short guy

Reaction score
I seriously doubt there is any need to swap presets within a song when we now have snapshots and as much dsp that the unit holds...

For the most part I agree with you. But I also like to do dual amp and/or dual cab set upsomething to get my tones so it eats an incredible amount of dsp. If I were're to try and blend my main rhythm and clean tones into one patch there'd be 3 amps and 4 cabs before I added in anything else

Gitte

Reaction score
Thats what I mean. I switch several times within a song between crunch and clean sounds with delays and reverb. I will investigate a little more. thanks anyways :)

Vrollin

Reaction score
Thats what I mean. I switch several times within a song between crunch and clean sounds with delays and reverb. I will investigate a little more. thanks anyways :)

How many different amps and cabs, if cabs at all, are you using per song? Don't forget that with snapshots you can assign a large number of parameter changes with each snapshot, that means you can use one amp block but have completely different amounts of gain and an alternate eq etc per snapshot of you wanted...

')