Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elric

Reaction score
If it's the same physical quality and just a smaller unit, damn. Nice!
Apparently it is similar size and weight but has less I/O and the scribble strips were removed to bring it into the sub $1k price target. Tonally it is the same though. Pretty nice product.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Latepass, but I just noticed an update earlier in the year added the 'L6 Badonk' model which is apparently based on the L6 Big Bottom from back in the day.

This was my favourite model back in college when I used an XT, lots of cool stuff has been recorded with it. For those who have tried both, is it just the Big Bottom ported to the Helix (like they did with the HD500) or is it a new model?

The Big Bottom was a cool amp but it wasn't without its faults (severe lack of midrange and ludicrous compression), would be cool to get Big Bottom tones but with a bit more realism.

UltimaWeapon

yolo-swag-3000
Reaction score
Its nice they didnt cut most the usefull stuff from the regular Helix. Like the real amp switching, led rings, and the processing power. It says 999usd so just hope it wont be 1099 in EU because that would be only 30e difference between the Rack unit and like 250-300 from the regular floor Helix. :/

that short guy

Reaction score
So I finally got a chance to play around with some of the new stuff and while I found the badonk to be very limiting the Darkglass B7K on the other hand was amazing

JSanta

Reaction score
I have a Helix LT on the way this week, my local GC didn't have any in stock, and given the small market where I live now, I'm not surprised.

I've downloaded the SW and I have been reading about how to use it. I've never had a processor like this, so I'm looking forward to really learning how to use it.

tuttermuts

Reaction score
So quick question since I don't have a lot of time to really research this lately (just moved n all the madness that comes with it). I've read here n there that the helix has improved a lot since the last update(s?) even so much so that it is in the ballpark of the other big units if you know how to tweak it.

Can anybody confirm that? Currently using an hd500X and I'm kinda happy with it, but in the realism department I do feel like stepping up some in the near future.

mikah912

Reaction score
So quick question since I don't have a lot of time to really research this lately (just moved n all the madness that comes with it). I've read here n there that the helix has improved a lot since the last update(s?) even so much so that it is in the ballpark of the other big units if you know how to tweak it.

Can anybody confirm that? Currently using an hd500X and I'm kinda happy with it, but in the realism department I do feel like stepping up some in the near future.

It's BEEN "in the ballpark" of Kemper and Axe-FX. I've had two AX8s. I sent them both packing to return to Helix.

Here's a recent YouTube clip showing as much by a guy I really dig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAa-hcgiZsk

Here are a couple of my latest personal clips:

https://soundcloud.com/guitdemoson/uberchunk-mix-1

https://soundcloud.com/guitdemoson/jtv1-1

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
A recent problem I have recently discovered with my setting up of the Helix:

My lead-tone snapshots cause a high pitched squeel the moment I activate them. Most of the times the change is just a +3-6 db output on the output block, a delay/reverb block and maybe some more mids on the Amp block. The squeel happens the moment I press the footswitch, and it is noticable if I am not playing. The moment I start playing it is tamed enough to not be distinguishable from my usual string molestation.

Now, If I roll back my volume (on my guitar) the moment of the snapshot change it doesn't happen, but its not always easy/convinient to do. It also happens with a variety of guitars/pickups (BKP VHII, Lace Drop'n'Gain, SD Screamin' Demon)

Anyone else having the same problem? How do you counter it? I've thought about using an extra noise gate, however I'd rather I didn't have to.

tuttermuts

Reaction score
It's BEEN "in the ballpark" of Kemper and Axe-FX. I've had two AX8s. I sent them both packing to return to Helix.

Here's a recent YouTube clip showing as much by a guy I really dig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAa-hcgiZsk

Here are a couple of my latest personal clips:

https://soundcloud.com/guitdemoson/uberchunk-mix-1

https://soundcloud.com/guitdemoson/jtv1-1

Thanks for the references! Maybe "in the ballpark" does sound a bit condescending, like I said, don't have too much time to really dive into research so I just go by what I read and can hear on the fly.

To be honest I like your last clip best, I looked around some on that other guys channel and while he does get a nice tone, he does put too much on there for my taste in terms on reverb/delay/gain/...

There's also quite a few clips that seem to have a bit of that top end fizzyness still going on, which I guess you can dial right out? (seems to have plenty going on in terms of EQ's).

I'm a bit on the fence, but maybe I can sell off some old gear for the right price and presto.

mikah912

Reaction score

BigBossAF

Kept you waiting, huh?
Reaction score
For anyone who's seen both the Helix and the LT version, which one would you recommend? Are you missing much by going with the LT?

polish_sausage

Reaction score
For anyone who's seen both the Helix and the LT version, which one would you recommend? Are you missing much by going with the LT?

The LT has everything I need. your just not getting as many routing options and no scribble strips with the LT. Unless that stuff is important to you I woulds say get the LT.

A-Branger

Reaction score

this is the only real difference between the two, and the scribble strips, but you can have those on the display screen so who cares. Everything else is the same

May16_LNU_Line6Helix_WEB2.jpg

VS

e73ad3-HelixLT_detail1.jpg

Reaction score
From the FAQ...

Compared to Helix, the differences with Helix LT are:

• No scribble strip LCDs (middle eight footswitch assignments appear on Helix LT’s new colorful Performance view)
• Fewer Ins and Outs:
• 2 Sends/Returns as opposed to 4 (can be stereo linked)
• No mic preamp
• No Aux In
• No S/PDIF In/Out
• Exp 2 In and dual Ext Amp Out share a single jack (function is globally selectable)
• No Exp 3 jack
• No CV Out jack​
• Less expensive chassis:
• Folded steel top chassis as opposed to extruded aluminum
• Folded steel expression pedal as opposed to cast aluminum
• Impact-resistant ABS side panels with rubber overmolding (like those on Helix Control) as opposed to cast aluminum side panels​
• No separate Phones knob (headphone volume is controlled by main Volume knob)
• No 10 Stomp footswitch mode; Stomp mode is limited to 8 switches
• Pedal Edit select view displays 8 blocks at a time instead of 10
• Registered Helix LT owners can purchase the Helix Native plug-in for $299 (normally $399; registered Helix and Helix Rack owners get it for $99)

fremen

Reaction score
Recorded with the Archetype Lead, which has become my favorite model in the Helix :

I'm using that preset at the end of that video too, this time using the 4 OSC as a synth pad, each chord is triggered by a different snapshot :

PBGas

Reaction score
I finally hooked up my new Helix rack and control via 4cm on my new Jp-2C LE head and all I have to say is that it is unbelievable. I never thought I would have this much control and fun. Instant amp switching via midi, fantastic sounds and super easy and intuitive setup. There is so much great stuff in the box! Was going to use an external wah but the ones in the box are actually really good so I'm going to pick up the mission pedal and go from there.

I haven't had this much fun playing in a long time! The test will be during both my indoor and outdoor gigs I have lined up through the summer.

Can't wait!

Latest posts

')