Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Element0s

Low Fantasy/Black Denim
Reaction score
Was up to no good in the studio with the band a while back. Ran my Helix patches through my Madison + Marshall 4x12s in the studio itself and then did a few more layers for preproduction at home using my direct tone. No idea what IR(s) I used, probably something by 3Sigma Audio. Very happy with the tone (but what else is new?) and stoked to get back in to do the various overdubs and tweaks to tighten things up. Helix is running strong!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwqifkoj1dvx873/east.mp3?dl=0

Ericjutsu

Reaction score

I like your tones and look forward to buying the LRS IRs. Are the tones you linked to all LRS IRs? The high gain shootout tones were great. When are the LRS IRs coming out? I can't seem to find any info on them other than from you. Also, how does the Helix compare to the AX8?

DropTheSun

Reaction score
I like your tones and look forward to buying the LRS IRs. Are the tones you linked to all LRS IRs? The high gain shootout tones were great. When are the LRS IRs coming out? I can't seem to find any info on them other than from you. Also, how does the Helix compare to the AX8?

Thanks man! Great to hear, that you like my tones! High Gain shootout clips are using LRS Mesa 4x12 Traditional MV30 IR's, that are still under developement. They will be released in the near future. LRS just released the Mesa 2x12 Celestion A-type IR's, that are very nice as well:
http://livereadysound.com/product/a-typ-2x12-impulse-response-pack/

These clips are using those new Mesa 2x12 A-type IR's:
https://soundcloud.com/mediumplayer/sets/live-ready-sound

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
Thanks man! Great to hear, that you like my tones! High Gain shootout clips are using LRS Mesa 4x12 Traditional MV30 IR's, that are still under developement. They will be released in the near future. LRS just released the Mesa 2x12 Celestion A-type IR's, that are very nice as well:
http://livereadysound.com/product/a-typ-2x12-impulse-response-pack/

These clips are using those new Mesa 2x12 A-type IR's:
https://soundcloud.com/mediumplayer/sets/live-ready-sound
Thanks. Do you know what poweramp was used in the LRS IRs? Was it a a neutral sounding one or the power section of something like a 5150?

PBGas

Reaction score
I haven't had to use any external IRs on my Helix Rack. I simply played around with the settings on the stock cabs and really got things working nicely by changing mics and working more with the hi and low settings. Love what I get out of it!

cyb

Tune Low Play Slow
Reaction score
Picked up a Helix LT a few weeks ago after taking a long break from guitar playing. I've owned Pod HD, Axe Fx (not the II), VST sims and Kemper, and I am very impressed with the Helix LT so far. I don't really miss the Kemper, but I still think it has the best raw amp tones I've personally heard from a digital unit but it's not a night and day difference either!
The helix is so easy to use, and I prefer building my own patches instead of relying on other people's amp profiles. I wish I could compare it directly to the Axe II but I can't afford to have both.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm mad nooby. But what do I need to do to send the signal to my Scarlett 2i4?

I don't have an amp/cab to google 4 cable method. Is it just one line out from the helix? (God this has to be a simple question) just trying to avoid buying cables I don't need and all the videos I'm finding are just tone/etc.

getowned7474

Neck_Pro
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm mad nooby. But what do I need to do to send the signal to my Scarlett 2i4?

I don't have an amp/cab to google 4 cable method. Is it just one line out from the helix? (God this has to be a simple question) just trying to avoid buying cables I don't need and all the videos I'm finding are just tone/etc.

All you have to do is go out of the unbalanced line out with a 1/4" cable or go out of the balanced line out with an XLR cable. You should only need 1 cable either way unless you want to do stereo. On the Helix it's simply marked "1/4 out" for the unbalanced signal and "XLR out" for the mic cable.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Thank you. The exact simple answer I was looking for. Any difference in audio quality using XLR over unbalanced?

getowned7474

Neck_Pro
Reaction score
XLR theoretically should have less interference. XLR cables actually create a phase inverted copy of the original signal. Both the inverted and normal phase signals are sent through the XLR cable. Both signals get the same phase noise interference throughout the cable run. At the receiving end of the XLR cable the phase is inverted again and when combined the interference noise the signals received will be out of phase and cancel out for a clean signal.

Unless you are in a room full of fluorescent lights and computers or something you should be fine with a 1/4" cable though... It's probably not a bad practice to use the XLR cable when recording to get the best signal you can.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score

DropTheSun

Reaction score

https://soundcloud.com/mediumplayer/helix-lrs-modern-rig-preset-pack-demo

I got something cool together using Helix Snapshots and one of the best IRs I got to test from Live Ready Sound. This clip is a demo of the Preset. All tones inside a one preset. Flexiple!:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

')