Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nickgray

Reaction score
couldn't tune below B without issues.

It's a pretty well known trick, but just in case, rolling off tone completely and switching to the neck pickup really helps with low tunings. Works for active basses too, switching to the neck pickup and dialing the treble all the way down makes the tuner way more responsive.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
It's a pretty well known trick, but just in case, rolling off tone completely and switching to the neck pickup really helps with low tunings. Works for active basses too, switching to the neck pickup and dialing the treble all the way down makes the tuner way more responsive.
Well aware. It's a good general idea anyways because it cuts down on overtones, no matter where you're tuning to.

lewis

Reaction score
It was really garbage with the original tuner mode, couldn't tune below B without issues. Like it literally wouldn't pick up my low E on my eight string or the low A on my bassists bass. Since they added the Fine and Strobe Modes it picks up just fine, checked against an expensive Peterson Desktop strobe and it well within my tolerances for live performance.
yeah im using fine mode too.

Hmmm

weird

Avedas

Reaction score
Strobe mode tunes my bass in Ab without any issues.

Well, it used to. Now it doesn't tune anything.

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score
I'm always curious as to how some units are affected by stuff like this and others aren't. The only correlated one I've seen is that almost everyone that was having HX Edit connection issues was using a 8-10 year old Mac with the current OS installed, other than that it seems pretty random.

I have an 8-year-old MacBook with current OS and once every so often I'll turn on my Stomp and get this garbage tone on every preset. I On/Off it and voila, it works fine. Not sure if that's in the arena of what you're referring to, though.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I have an 8-year-old MacBook with current OS and once every so often I'll turn on my Stomp and get this garbage tone on every preset. I On/Off it and voila, it works fine. Not sure if that's in the arena of what you're referring to, though.
I was mostly referring to the people who have major malfunctions after updates, or major computer connectivity issues. Those problems seem very common to the old MBs with current OS installations. I guess if I paid that much for a laptop I'd probably be milking it as long as it turned on, too, but its kinda the PC equivalent of running a PC that shipped with Win7 with Win10. Yeah it will work, but developers aren't worried about your old ass hardware anymore, lol. Your issue sounds like a AD/DA converter thing and you should probably open a support ticket.

Avedas

Reaction score
I was mostly referring to the people who have major malfunctions after updates, or major computer connectivity issues. Those problems seem very common to the old MBs with current OS installations. I guess if I paid that much for a laptop I'd probably be milking it as long as it turned on, too, but its kinda the PC equivalent of running a PC that shipped with Win7 with Win10. Yeah it will work, but developers aren't worried about your old ass hardware anymore, lol. Your issue sounds like a AD/DA converter thing and you should probably open a support ticket.
These issues are almost entirely because Apple dropped 32bit support from macOS. The good news is you can always boot Windows or Linux in a pinch.

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score

I didn't know there was such a thing as an 8 year old Windows laptop that still worked... :lol:

By support ticket, I'm assuming you mean with Line 6?

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I didn't know there was such a thing as an 8 year old Windows laptop that still worked... :lol:

By support ticket, I'm assuming you mean with Line 6?
I don't know, pretty much every PC I've owned since ~2003 has lived a long full life and was still functional enough to be passed on to someone who needed it. I've also never paid over $1k for a computer, so I don't feel like I'm losing anything replacing them every 5-6 years, lol.
But yes, through Line 6 Support. They have probably the best customer support staff in the industry.

nickgray

Reaction score
don't know, pretty much every PC I've owned since ~2003 has lived a long full life and was still functional enough to be passed on to someone who needed it

Offtopic, but couldn't agree more. I'm still rocking a 9 year old CPU with an 8 year old graphics card, and I've played through Doom Eternal recently. Granted, it's kinda on its last legs in terms of gaming performance (for recent titles, previous Doom runs butter smooth on high settings), but for day to day stuff and tinkering with VSTs it still works perfectly. It's pretty insane how far hardware has come compared to 2000s or even 90s, where everything could get totally obsolete in a span of a year or two.

Gander

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I'm looking to buy a Line 6 Helix Rack model, but I wanted to know, how is the quality of the unit these days?

I was watching some videos, almost all of them being comparisons against Kemper and Fractal, and it seems that the high gain on the Line 6 is very "hissy/fuzzy" and bright, at least compared to the rest. Has that being fixed? Because these videos I'm talking about are 3 years old, and the Helix receiving updates I assume it has been getting better.

Also, is $ 1300 a good price for an used one in Mint condition? I'm very excited to make this purchase since it would be my first Amp Modeler (I finally have money for one).

Thanks beforehand.

nickgray

Reaction score
comparisons

Helix Native has a free fully functioning trial. Same algos as hardware, but the input on hardware is hotter than the suggested settings for Native, but you can adjust that if needed. Stock cabs are pretty crappy, so make sure to use your own IRs.

As far as comparisons - I've spend quite a lot of time hunting comparisons between Axe Fx and Helix, and there are very-very few good ones. A lot of Helix demos will also use stock cabs, which won't give you a full picture of the amp sim quality. Imo, in the few good comparisons that I've found, Helix was on par in terms of overall quality with minor timbre differences that are to be expected. By and large, IR makes the biggest difference for tones.

Helix Rack

Why are you looking at a rack unit specifically? The editing software for Helix is superior in terms ease of use and convenience. Plus, together with a floor controller, it's the most expensive option. Consider Helix Floor and Helix LT. Floor has scribble strips, more I/O and it's sturdier built, but none of those are killer features, at least imo. LT doesn't have scribble strips, but it does have a large screen that can show you the names (customizable) for 8 footswitches, not as convenient, but LT is quite a bit cheaper.

Gander

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Helix Native has a free fully functioning trial. Same algos as hardware, but the input on hardware is hotter than the suggested settings for Native, but you can adjust that if needed. Stock cabs are pretty crappy, so make sure to use your own IRs.

As far as comparisons - I've spend quite a lot of time hunting comparisons between Axe Fx and Helix, and there are very-very few good ones. A lot of Helix demos will also use stock cabs, which won't give you a full picture of the amp sim quality. Imo, in the few good comparisons that I've found, Helix was on par in terms of overall quality with minor timbre differences that are to be expected. By and large, IR makes the biggest difference for tones.

Why are you looking at a rack unit specifically? The editing software for Helix is superior in terms ease of use and convenience. Plus, together with a floor controller, it's the most expensive option. Consider Helix Floor and Helix LT. Floor has scribble strips, more I/O and it's sturdier built, but none of those are killer features, at least imo. LT doesn't have scribble strips, but it does have a large screen that can show you the names (customizable) for 8 footswitches, not as convenient, but LT is quite a bit cheaper.

I guess it is just my ignorance, again this would be my first amp modeler.

I was planning to buy the Rack because bigger unit = better (see Axe FX III), but I was looking at the Helix because I don't have the 2k for that brand new thing.

So, if I am correct, I would get the same quality amp sims on the cheaper LT?

That'd be great for my budget. Also, please consider that I am planning to use the Helix to record guitars and bass, so that is something worth considering.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, same internals on the LT - just less i/o as I recall.

nickgray

Reaction score
I was planning to buy the Rack because bigger unit = better (see Axe FX III)

Haha, fortunately that's not the case. There's also Fractal FM3 if you want to go Fractal route, not as powerful as the big guy, but same algos.

So, if I am correct, I would get the same quality amp sims on the cheaper LT?

Yes, exactly. In fact, even HX Stomp will have the same quality sims, albeit it's a more limited unit (6 blocks only atm, soon to be 8, but still, there's only one DSP to work with instead of two in the bigger units). Even the new POD Go has the same Helix algos, and it's only $450, though it has certain limitations like only having one IR block, plus it's not in the Helix family, so it won't mirror the updates for the Helix.

I am planning to use the Helix to record guitars and bass

I play a little bit of bass as well. Helix does pretty good bass tones. It has 14 amp models atm, there's a B7K sim and a Sansamp sim too.

Gander

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well I guess that settles it.
Thanks for the input. Very appreciated.

Next step should be to look into some good IR cab packs.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Well I guess that settles it.
Thanks for the input. Very appreciated.

If Metal is your thing I highly suggest ML Sound Lab. I've been through Ownhammer, Celestion, RedWirez, and about 5 other ones and the ML just drop in and sound good to me. Don't really need to mess with anything else other than the amp controls.

nickgray

Reaction score

Ownhammer, ML Sound Lab, York Audio. You probably want a 4x12 Recto, it's kinda the default cab for metal tones. All of these companies provide bundles that include their own mixes and separate mics. Probably start with the mixes, but be sure to check out separate mics and do your own mixes as well. Start with a 57, 57 on axis + off axis (Fredman technique), and 121, it's the most commonly used stuff. Check out Ignite NadIR for a free IR loader.

Latest posts

')