Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
A) IEC is huge and would blow up the footprint. B) Then you wouldn't be able to power it from your pedalboard power supply.No one hates that DC-3g power supply more than I do. After I complained loudly for many months, POD Go is shipping with a much smaller DC-3h now, but it hasn't officially been approved for inclusion in HX Effects or HX Stomp boxes yet. (Spoiler alert: It works great, but it's still bigger than I wish it was.)

The reason we had to go with that power supply is that it's the only one that resulted in the same sonic specs as Helix. Cheap, tiny power supplies often increase the noise floor and can introduce other audible garbage. Also, YGG's a hardcore stickler for following international compliance. Your average small pedal manufacturer may not have the budget to ensure their power supplies pass international requirements that seem to change every year.

Interesting aside: The Strymon Zuma and Ojai are the only power supplies we've tried that result in the same audio specs as our DC-3g and DC-3h. Others might as well—we haven't tried more than a handful—but Strymon makes killer power distribution.

Are those DC-3Hs going to be available to buy separately at some point? (if not already?).

Im going to probably grab the Strymon Zuma instead long term and move my T Rex over to my Bass pedalboard build instead.
Thats only going to be 4 pedals and all of them are 9volt so much easier. :)

So how does the Zuma work with HX? a cable doubler or something? 2 into 1 or something?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Are those DC-3Hs going to be available to buy separately at some point? (if not already?).
Hopefully, but I don't have a timeline. The DC-3h is schedule 6, so we'll have to replace the DC-3g in 2022 (2023? I forget) when schedule 6 compliance goes live anyway.
So how does the Zuma work with HX? a cable doubler or something? 2 into 1 or something?
Yep, and you'll need adapters to make sure it fits HX Stomp's slightly larger DC pin.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Hey sorry it might be better to ask in FAQ but I figure why not try the experts, wondering if someone can tell me:

Is it possible to use an HX Stomp to practice with headphones on and have an aux in to play along with music (from my phone)?

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Hey sorry it might be better to ask in FAQ but I figure why not try the experts, wondering if someone can tell me:

Is it possible to use an HX Stomp to practice with headphones on and have an aux in to play along with music (from my phone)?
I'm guessing you could use one of the effects loops and set it to line level. The unfortunate thing is that will take up one of your blocks to have it running.

Maybe someone else has a better idea, but that's the only way I'm aware of to do that. The big Helix is the only one in the lineup that has the dedicated Aux input.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I'm guessing you could use one of the effects loops and set it to line level. The unfortunate thing is that will take up one of your blocks to have it running.

Maybe someone else has a better idea, but that's the only way I'm aware of to do that. The big Helix is the only one in the lineup that has the dedicated Aux input.

If that is the case, then would there be issues switching between snapshots/scrolls mode/presets mode? Provided that the FX loop is a block on any of the settings being switched between. Or would this maybe limit the unit to stompbox mode for playalong purposes.

edit: Nevermind! From the online owner's manual: the L/MONO and RIGHT inputs can act as an always-on Aux In for monitoring mixers, keyboards, drum machines or MP3 players. To set the function of the Return L/R jacks, see "Global Settings > Ins/Outs

So I assume "always on" means it doesn't matter how you stomp around, you'll still hear the aux in. I wonder if that means it would not then take up any blocks, since it's being set in the global settings?

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I assume "always on" means it doesn't matter how you stomp around, you'll still hear the aux in. I wonder if that means it would not then take up any blocks, since it's being set in the global settings?
Correct. When the Return L/R ins are set to Aux In, they're blended in with the guitar signal after the Output block.

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I could use some help configuring my Stomp to run in 4CM with my 5150iii 50w.

I have everything running in 4Cm just fine, but I would like to add an IR Block to send to FOH (and the headphone out if possible) on a split path. I currently have the 5150 effects loop hooked up to the Left effects loop of the Stomp. But I seem to be unable to create a separate path for the IR block.

The IR ends up either being audible in the 5150 loop before it hit's the real cab, or it's just not audible at all.

I would greatly appreciate some help and could even get on a zoom session with someone haha.

Hopefully this question makes sense. Thanks.

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
I figured it out! I had to plug my guitar straight into the front of the amp. I originally had the stereo send from the Stomp going into the front of the amp. Now the stereo send contains the split path IR block for FOH.

One day I'll gig and on that day I'll be ready haha.

DropTheSun

Reaction score
This HX Stomp Pedalboard was my summer project and after few band rehearsals I have to say it is amazing!

166259.jpg

In rehearsals I use three presets. With JET Micro I can control FX Blocks and Snapshots inside the presets ”on the fly”.

For Clean tones I use Specular Reverb to get those Big ”strymon Like” ambient vibes and Ricochet offers those nice Whammy sounds, that everyones familiar.

Fractal EV2 is working as a Volume Pedal. I might connect it to HX Stomp EXP input in some point if I see it useful.

Then there is a little box for my earplugs and a pick holder.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Been considering an HX Stomp or Helix LT lately, though I'm a bit hesitant since it's 3 or 4 year old hardware. Anything new on the horizon?

lewis

Reaction score
This HX Stomp Pedalboard was my summer project and after few band rehearsals I have to say it is amazing!

166259.jpg

In rehearsals I use three presets. With JET Micro I can control FX Blocks and Snapshots inside the presets ”on the fly”.

For Clean tones I use Specular Reverb to get those Big ”strymon Like” ambient vibes and Ricochet offers those nice Whammy sounds, that everyones familiar.

Fractal EV2 is working as a Volume Pedal. I might connect it to HX Stomp EXP input in some point if I see it useful.

Then there is a little box for my earplugs and a pick holder.
This board is super neat!

Going to steal the pick holder/tin idea for mine haha

nickgray

Reaction score
Been considering an HX Stomp or Helix LT lately, though I'm a bit hesitant since it's 3 or 4 year old hardware

I got an LT a few months ago and I'm honestly pretty happy with it. A bit overkill size wise, but Stomp is a tad limiting with its DSP and blocks, and I like to run 2 IRs in stereo. The pedal is a bit iffy, but I don't really use it, plus I didn't really tweak it too much anyway, I reckon with some fine tuning and maybe some extra grease it'll be fine. The sound, the feel, and the capabilities are great, no major complaints, just some nitpicks here and there.

Anything new on the horizon?

3.0 update should be out around winter, afaik. Stomp should get 2 extra blocks too, up to 8 instead of the current 6. Overall, it's still updated and it's still relevant. Even if they roll out Helix 2 in the near future, I highly doubt they'll replace the entire line in one go, likely they'll only release the flagship first.

Matt08642

Reaction score
I got an LT a few months ago and I'm honestly pretty happy with it. A bit overkill size wise, but Stomp is a tad limiting with its DSP and blocks, and I like to run 2 IRs in stereo. The pedal is a bit iffy, but I don't really use it, plus I didn't really tweak it too much anyway, I reckon with some fine tuning and maybe some extra grease it'll be fine. The sound, the feel, and the capabilities are great, no major complaints, just some nitpicks here and there.

3.0 update should be out around winter, afaik. Stomp should get 2 extra blocks too, up to 8 instead of the current 6. Overall, it's still updated and it's still relevant. Even if they roll out Helix 2 in the near future, I highly doubt they'll replace the entire line in one go, likely they'll only release the flagship first.

The DSP and block limitations were a huge factor in my consideration here. That and the fact that I do kind of want an expression pedal, so even if I got the stomp I’d be looking at buying a separate $200 unit for wah and stuff

to replace my current pedal board six blocks is more than enough, but I figure with a unit like this I would probably end up wanting to experiment with more amps and affects at once

DropTheSun

Reaction score
...Going to steal the pick holder/tin idea for mine haha

Hahaha! Awesome man! :cheers:

I love this pedalboard. It is as Plug’n’Play/Grab’n’Go as it can be. Super fast and easy to take anywhere I go and hook it up for playing.

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score
Asked this question elsewhere and was referred here to see if anyone had any tips/insights. With my Stomp, if I use the Panama sim, it's noticeably quieter than my other amp sims. I primarily use the Soldano and Ubers, but IRL prefer the 5150/6505. The only way I can seem to get the Panama to output as hot as the others is to boost just about everywhere I can which brings the unwanted joy of higher noise floor. I noticed the same issue with the 2204 but didn't bother taking any real time to raise the volume on that one. Don't have that issue with the Calis. What am I doing wrong?

sleewell

Reaction score
Asked this question elsewhere and was referred here to see if anyone had any tips/insights. With my Stomp, if I use the Panama sim, it's noticeably quieter than my other amp sims. I primarily use the Soldano and Ubers, but IRL prefer the 5150/6505. The only way I can seem to get the Panama to output as hot as the others is to boost just about everywhere I can which brings the unwanted joy of higher noise floor. I noticed the same issue with the 2204 but didn't bother taking any real time to raise the volume on that one. Don't have that issue with the Calis. What am I doing wrong?

You could just throw an eq after the amp and set the output level higher. I always use one to dial back frequencies in the 3 - 5k range.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The DSP and block limitations were a huge factor in my consideration here. That and the fact that I do kind of want an expression pedal, so even if I got the stomp I’d be looking at buying a separate $200 unit for wah and stuff

to replace my current pedal board six blocks is more than enough, but I figure with a unit like this I would probably end up wanting to experiment with more amps and affects at once

Why spend $200 when the Roland EV-5 is like $40usd :lol:

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I can't wait till the 8 bock update. I been playing my stomp into the return of my head and Mesa OS. I notice when I get away from it there's some high end I'm not liking. Where do you roll yours off in global eq? Right now I'm at 11.6k I think.

Latest posts

')