Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh shit lmao, I didn't realize this pedal worked with it and was looking at this https://www.long-mcquade.com/69938/...neering/Expression_Pedal_for_Line_6_Helix.htm

They're always recommending that Mission Engineering pedal, but people seem to be very very happy with them. Thet Roland EV-5 seems to be essentially the same base pedal as the Line 6 Expression Pedal which I have: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EX1--line-6-ex-1-expression-pedal

I bought mine used at GC in great condition for $28. Let me warn you, it's all plastic and so is the Roland. That said, it does the job. I would not trust it for touring at all but for local shows I think it would work fine and start showing wear issues before complete failure. One thing about it though, is it's not perfectly smooth from 0-100. Mine also seems to be at zero about a quarter-3rd inch from fully cocked back. I'd prefer zero to be full heel position and any pressure to start increasing parameter. All that said, for $28 I can't complain. Just letting you know it's not at all pro gear and if you were to tour you're taking a chance. If you're a bedroom or local show only dude then go for it and save some money if money is a concern.

Rev.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They're always recommending that Mission Engineering pedal, but people seem to be very very happy with them. Thet Roland EV-5 seems to be essentially the same base pedal as the Line 6 Expression Pedal which I have: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EX1--line-6-ex-1-expression-pedal

I bought mine used at GC in great condition for $28. Let me warn you, it's all plastic and so is the Roland. That said, it does the job. I would not trust it for touring at all but for local shows I think it would work fine and start showing wear issues before complete failure. One thing about it though, is it's not perfectly smooth from 0-100. Mine also seems to be at zero about a quarter-3rd inch from fully cocked back. I'd prefer zero to be full heel position and any pressure to start increasing parameter. All that said, for $28 I can't complain. Just letting you know it's not at all pro gear and if you were to tour you're taking a chance. If you're a bedroom or local show only dude then go for it and save some money if money is a concern.

Rev.

If you run into an expression pedal that's hitting "zero" too soon or too late (not hitting "zero") check to see if the pot can be adjusted. Most expression pedals are just a fancy way to turn a pot, using either a belt/string or arm/cam, and if the pot isn't situated properly its sweep won't match the relative position of the pedal. The pot is usually just mounted on its side against a bracket, you should be able to adjust it forward or back.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
While we are in the process of posting mini-rigs, still in the process of wiring this up. Still blown away by how tiny it is!
116345499_2970974313030796_5652928452065028754_n.jpg

broangiel

Reaction score
While we are in the process of posting mini-rigs, still in the process of wiring this up. Still blown away by how tiny it is!
View attachment 83365
I’m considering something similar to run into a Mesa Widebody 1x12. I have a quilter interblock on the way, and I’m trying to decide between an HX Stomp or a preamp-type pedal (Friedman BE or AMT Legend).

how do you like this setup?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Wasn't saying it's not possible. Just that I personally wouldn't "trust" it for touring. :)

Rev.

And I'm a 230lb dude who's not super precise who's saying it holds up :yesway:. Trust it. It's also very easy to replace.

Matt08642

Reaction score
You guys aren't helping by pointing out how inexpensive this can all be :lol:

Gotta keep telling myself the amp models on my POD X3 are fine and that I don't need more gear...

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
You guys aren't helping by pointing out how inexpensive this can all be :lol:

Gotta keep telling myself the amp models on my POD X3 are fine and that I don't need more gear...

I used a second hand HD500 for ages and they slay. Also so cheap now since the Helix is out. I've only gone this route for the form factor.

Matt08642

Reaction score
I used a second hand HD500 for ages and they slay. Also so cheap now since the Helix is out. I've only gone this route for the form factor.

Oh no I meant everyone's making it easier for me to justify buying something lmao

Reactions: Vyn

Matt08642

Reaction score
The Pod X3 really comes alive when you take it out of the signal chain and insert a Helix.

The truest bypass

That being said I love my x3, but I mostly just use it as a headphone 5150

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score
Asked this question elsewhere and was referred here to see if anyone had any tips/insights. With my Stomp, if I use the Panama sim, it's noticeably quieter than my other amp sims. I primarily use the Soldano and Ubers, but IRL prefer the 5150/6505. The only way I can seem to get the Panama to output as hot as the others is to boost just about everywhere I can which brings the unwanted joy of higher noise floor. I noticed the same issue with the 2204 but didn't bother taking any real time to raise the volume on that one. Don't have that issue with the Calis. What am I doing wrong?

Just quoting to ask once more, in case anyone who knows the answer missed the question the first time around. TIA

nickgray

Reaction score
Just quoting to ask once more, in case anyone who knows the answer missed the question the first time around. TIA

Pretty weird. What's the signal chain? Did you try making a new preset, and throwing only the 5150 and an IR block, and then changing the 5150 to some other high gain amp?

In general, Ch Vol controls the final output from the amp block. Master controls the master volume of the amp, which will control both the tone of amp AND the volume (just like on a real amp). Bias will also have an effect on the volume, and so will the Gain. You probably know all that, but just in case, since your problem seems to be a bit weird.

Also, are you sure you're using the amp? Amp models and Preamp models have a drastic difference in volume.

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score
Pretty weird. What's the signal chain? Did you try making a new preset, and throwing only the 5150 and an IR block, and then changing the 5150 to some other high gain amp?

In general, Ch Vol controls the final output from the amp block. Master controls the master volume of the amp, which will control both the tone of amp AND the volume (just like on a real amp). Bias will also have an effect on the volume, and so will the Gain. You probably know all that, but just in case, since your problem seems to be a bit weird.

Also, are you sure you're using the amp? Amp models and Preamp models have a drastic difference in volume.

Thanks for the reply, it's definitely a weird issue.

I first discovered the problem the day I got the unit (and I've now updated firmware 2-3 times) and was building new presets from scratch. I have 4 guitars, 1 bass and built custom presets for all of them. Over the time I've owned the Stomp, I've swapped pickups in several guitars and each time I'll build a new preset. Through all that I've tossed the Panama in existing presets and tried building from scratch with it multiple times and always have the same result ("Hey, maybe it'll work with my Trident II since it didn't with the Black Winter..." sort of thing). At one point I even wondered if it was a perceived volume issue, but there's clearly less amplitude in my DAW when I swap the Panama in place of a Solo or Uber as evidenced by the visual track response.

As for your last question, I don't think I've ever used just the preamp option. Signal chain: I'm usually running Gate>Dist/OD>Amp>Cab... and, on some EQ & Delay or Reverb, but not often.

nickgray

Reaction score
@Iron1 Not too sure what to recommend. I've checked on my Helix LT 2.92, just Amp -> IR, and throwing in several high gain amps, including the 5150, all of them have more or less the same default volume level. Here's what the default settings are for my unit, in case that helps somehow:

5150.jpg

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score
@nickgray - thanks for that - it looks identical to mine. In order to get it at the same base volume as the others I have to push the channel volume and master almost to 10, then boost with the dist & main output...

nickgray

Reaction score
@nickgray - thanks for that - it looks identical to mine. In order to get it at the same base volume as the others I have to push the channel volume and master almost to 10, then boost with the dist & main output...

That's just super weird. You should probably try posting on the Line6 forums or contact their support, afaik their support is supposed to be pretty decent. Sounds like a weird bug.

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score
Yeah, I may go that route. Still feel like it's operator error of some sort, but for the life of me can't figure out how I'm screwing it up.

Steo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have you tried putting an eq block between the amp and cab blocks? use that as volume boost.

')