Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
3.1 is awesome!

I've only played it with Native and on not my floor unit, but things do sound better. More defined/clear/tighter. (or it's just a placebo and in my head lol) ... The badonk model seems to have changed though quite a bit. The recto seems much improved too, but again....might be in my head lol i haven't done any a/b comparisons

I really like the rockerverb model a lot.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
They really nailed the Rockerverb it sounds awesome. I have not messed with the new reverbs yet.

I ended up saying F it and nuking all of the presets when I updated then i copied over the handful of the ones i actually use and now there is so much room for activities

its nice that we can swap button colors now. I could not get the rename function to work it just kept resetting back to the default name unless the switch controlled more than one thing and then i could pick one of the items for the name...

I wish you could set all global settings with hx edit as its a bit fiddly setting those on the device,

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
3.1 is awesome!

I've only played it with Native and on not my floor unit, but things do sound better. More defined/clear/tighter. (or it's just a placebo and in my head lol) ... The badonk model seems to have changed though quite a bit. The recto seems much improved too, but again....might be in my head lol i haven't done any a/b comparisons

I really like the rockerverb model a lot.

oh i will need to check out the other amp models.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Which rockerverb mk version ya got?

Er'body getting fw updates :yesway:

sleewell

Reaction score
mkIII dirty channel

i had rehearsal last night but plan to update mine tonight. sounds like some of the new reverbs are sweet too. line 6 is on top of their game. love the recent updates.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
I have updated to 3.10 as well, the patch notes did say something about increasing oversampling and that it would benefit the high gain sounds especially. Yesterday I too found that it might sound better now, but afraid to say anything incase it was just in my head. @thebeesknees22 I agree. Fuck I'm really hyped now!!!

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@AwakenTheSkies - right? I've had too many updates over the years where I thought things were better and people were like "nothing changed" lol, but things do indeed sound better with the increased oversampling. I gave it another whirl this morning with fresh ears after I posted this morning, and it is better for sure all across the board.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Record a DI, reamp through the old fw and the new fw.

Avedas

Reaction score
Sounds like I need to fire up my Helix again while I'm waiting on Cygnus for the FM3.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Well, I have made a sound test, not exactly as @budda asks but pretty much the same, recently I reamped a song with Native 3.0. Now I reamped it again but with Native 3.10 :D, also for the funs I also reamped it through the real Helix LT 3.10. I don't want to downgrade my Helix LT. Hear for yourself.

The patch:

shiva.png

ir.png

The clip: it's Native 3.0 then Native 3.10 then Helix LT 3.10

https://soundcloud.com/vlad_kuzmenko_37/helixtest/s-mRcicOIHFIq

See if you can hear some differences!

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
In my opinion the Helix LT sounds smoother, but you can hear that it might be a gain thing, it shows at the palm mutes especially. Native 3.0 vs 3.10 they are super close, I can't confidently say that I hear a difference.

Here's the audio spectrum for all 3

3.0 Native

30Native.png

3.10 Native

31Native.png

3.10 LT

31LT.png

Also I invite you to post you own clips or tests, maybe I'm not 100% right. @thebeesknees22 did mention about the Recto and the Bandonk feeling different, and I haven't tried those yet myself...

Avedas

Reaction score
The difference with the LT is so subtle I almost want to suspect your cable. I don't doubt that the amps may feel a lot better on the new firmware though.

')