Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@AwakenTheSkies -yeah i use the badonk almost daily and on first glance at firing it up it felt different. But who knows. I'm also overworked right now with heavy overtime at work so my ears could be playing tricks on me.

At least there is a subtle difference in your eq curves so I know at least that much isn't ALLL in my head haha

some other folks in other forums said they did a null test and had a slight difference, but i couldn't find a link to the test they were talking about.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
Well, I have made a sound test, not exactly as @budda asks but pretty much the same, recently I reamped a song with Native 3.0. Now I reamped it again but with Native 3.10 :D, also for the funs I also reamped it through the real Helix LT 3.10. I don't want to downgrade my Helix LT. Hear for yourself.

The patch:

shiva.png

ir.png

The clip: it's Native 3.0 then Native 3.10 then Helix LT 3.10

https://soundcloud.com/vlad_kuzmenko_37/helixtest/s-mRcicOIHFIq

See if you can hear some differences!
awesome thanks for this! The newer version sounds smoother and less scratchy. The upper mids and highs sound better to my ears.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm a bit late to the party but apparently the POD Go 1.21 update was released last month? :lol: They added a bit of the new stuff from the last HX patch. Finally got a chance to try the new Diezel models, and honestly the VH4 Lead with the SD-1 model sounds killer.

TBH It sounds better than the Fractal (Axe II/AX8 era) VH4 to me.

Last edited:

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Okay now I'm really curious so I did a new test LT 3.0 vs LT 3.1

fried.png

ir.png

LT 3.0 then LT 3.1

https://soundcloud.com/vlad_kuzmenko_37/helixtest2/s-ce7IIU6fKmd

LT 3.0

lt30.png

LT 3.1

lt31.png

The audio spectrum is a bit different, but I can't hear very much of a difference. The difference between Helix Native vs LT in the previous test was a lot easier to hear.

Metropolis

Reaction score

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In my opinion the Helix LT sounds smoother, but you can hear that it might be a gain thing, it shows at the palm mutes especially. Native 3.0 vs 3.10 they are super close, I can't confidently say that I hear a difference.

Here's the audio spectrum for all 3

3.0 Native

30Native.png

3.10 Native

31Native.png

3.10 LT

31LT.png

Also I invite you to post you own clips or tests, maybe I'm not 100% right. @thebeesknees22 did mention about the Recto and the Bandonk feeling different, and I haven't tried those yet myself...

I haven't played with the update enough to say if it's really audibly different, but I'm not sure it'd be visibly different in the power spectrum. It might be clearer if you played a single note, because then you'd have a better chance to see the inharmonic peaks from aliasing.

In any case, comparing power spectrums visually isn't a great measure of the difference. I'd trust your ears over a plot.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
I haven't played with the update enough to say if it's really audibly different, but I'm not sure it'd be visibly different in the power spectrum. It might be clearer if you played a single note, because then you'd have a better chance to see the inharmonic peaks from aliasing.

In any case, comparing power spectrums visually isn't a great measure of the difference. I'd trust your ears over a plot.

Yeah man, these tests are idk...a bit sketchy, I'm not so confident about them, that's why I invite everyone to do their own. But I can't delete the posts anymore. Also keep in mind these are song tones, meant to be double tracked and mixed, not for play on their own. For what it's worth I do think 3.10 feels a bit smoother to play, and it seems like many other people feel the same, so there you go.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So any more opinions on the Rockerverb? Hows it compare to other models in terms of thiccness and/or tightness? Checking demos, it oddly seems really great at that AC/DC-ish breakup tone.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So any more opinions on the Rockerverb? Hows it compare to other models in terms of thiccness and/or tightness? Checking demos, it oddly seems really great at that AC/DC-ish breakup tone.
I haven't had a ton of time to dial it in, but it's easy to get a good mid gain crunch tone. Pushing the gain too high gets fuzzy and loose - it probably won't replace the 5150 as my go-to for metal.

It does sound a lot better than the Dark Terror I had, but not as good as my Tiny Terror. I haven't played a real rockerverb though.

nickgray

Reaction score
So any more opinions on the Rockerverb?

It's more suitable for rock, though it does high gain pretty decently. Still, not my first choice by any stretch. It's pretty loose and fizzy, Marshall style distortion character.

I've recently discovered Fireball 100 though. Fucking amazing amp. But it must be used without a boost, and this model made me realize that boosts kind of suck. They shave off tons of low end, and they all have that mid/hi mid spike, and as a result they seriously homogenize the tone. A lot of the character and the beefiness of the amp come from those lows. A good idea is to try a gentle EQ and tame those lows in such a way that you don't completely cut them like an 808 does, thus preserving a major part of the amp's tone, but taming the muddiness if it was even needed in the first place.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm reaaallly liking the rockerverb a lot. It blends really great with most any kind of amp depending on where set the gain. It can do crunchy cleans. full crunch, metal, full doom fuzz.

If you put an eq down with a low cut of around 172Hz and it'll tighten it up real nice too. Or low cut around 172Hz then throw any overdrive or fuzz + rockerverb and that sounds real nice. (you don't need to do that cut though with the tube screamer or horizon drive)

(i am one that prefers loose gain vs the super tight modern djent gain though)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Throw a treble booster at an orange and enjoy.

Wanna hear how the SD-1 pairs wiith it when it's available for the POD Go (or get the Stomp like I keep saying I will :lol: ). Or see how my Maxon OD808X sounds when in front of it.

It's more suitable for rock, though it does high gain pretty decently. Still, not my first choice by any stretch. It's pretty loose and fizzy, Marshall style distortion character.

I've recently discovered Fireball 100 though. Fucking amazing amp. But it must be used without a boost, and this model made me realize that boosts kind of suck. They shave off tons of low end, and they all have that mid/hi mid spike, and as a result they seriously homogenize the tone. A lot of the character and the beefiness of the amp come from those lows. A good idea is to try a gentle EQ and tame those lows in such a way that you don't completely cut them like an 808 does, thus preserving a major part of the amp's tone, but taming the muddiness if it was even needed in the first place.

When I ran my full-sized Helix, the FB100 unboosted paired well with the Mark IV running together. They filled out each other.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
I'm reaaallly liking the rockerverb a lot. It blends really great with most any kind of amp depending on where set the gain. It can do crunchy cleans. full crunch, metal, full doom fuzz.

If you put an eq down with a low cut of around 172Hz and it'll tighten it up real nice too. Or low cut around 172Hz then throw any overdrive or fuzz + rockerverb and that sounds real nice. (you don't need to do that cut though with the tube screamer or horizon drive)

(i am one that prefers loose gain vs the super tight modern djent gain though)

I haven't gotten update yet but I'm sure it will be great for stuff from the pop punk screamo years.

Still need to build a Mesa Mark preset that has nofx vibes

Reaction score
Hey folks, please forgive me if this has already been answered before, I'm considering on getting a Helix Stomp so to get some FX in front of my rig (Triaxis+G-Force+2:Fifty), mainly Wahs, compressors and some eventual pitch shifters of some sort. I'm not into the amp modeling stuff for now.

My idea is to put it in the rack and control it with my MIDI only pedalboard, turning on/off FXs and driving the wah pedal with one of 5 expression pedals at my feet. So the question is, can any MIDI CC# be assigned to control any parameter, meaning that if my expression pedal for the Wah is MIDI CC# 14, can it be used to control the wah's sweep, or a pitch sweep or anything else? Can I, for example, activate the Wah FX block only at MIDI continuous control #1, meaning that when the pedal is full heel down the FX is off, but as one starts to put some movement to it, it ignites the Wah and gets the rocking done?

This question is about MIDI assign to outboard gear that inputs MIDI signals into the Helix Stomp so to control it. Can this be done?

Thanks in advance.

laxu

Reaction score
Hey folks, please forgive me if this has already been answered before, I'm considering on getting a Helix Stomp so to get some FX in front of my rig (Triaxis+G-Force+2:Fifty), mainly Wahs, compressors and some eventual pitch shifters of some sort. I'm not into the amp modeling stuff for now.

My idea is to put it in the rack and control it with my MIDI only pedalboard, turning on/off FXs and driving the wah pedal with one of 5 expression pedals at my feet. So the question is, can any MIDI CC# be assigned to control any parameter, meaning that if my expression pedal for the Wah is MIDI CC# 14, can it be used to control the wah's sweep, or a pitch sweep or anything else? Can I, for example, activate the Wah FX block only at MIDI continuous control #1, meaning that when the pedal is full heel down the FX is off, but as one starts to put some movement to it, it ignites the Wah and gets the rocking done?

This question is about MIDI assign to outboard gear that inputs MIDI signals into the Helix Stomp so to control it. Can this be done?

Thanks in advance.

Yes you can do this. The only caveat is that it needs to be mapped per preset and if you change the wah model it will want to ditch your mappings which is pretty annoying.

Reaction score
Yes you can do this. The only caveat is that it needs to be mapped per preset and if you change the wah model it will want to ditch your mappings which is pretty annoying.

Thank you very much for your reply. That really shines some light into my quest for getting some FX in front of the amp. Allow me another question, can it be programmed via USB with a PC editor?... or eventually using the Helix Native software? I know that Helix Native can export patches/programs into any of the Helix hardware formats...

... another thought that comes to my mind is, can I use the Helix Native to simulate the Helix Stomp?

laxu

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply. That really shines some light into my quest for getting some FX in front of the amp. Allow me another question, can it be programmed via USB with a PC editor?... or eventually using the Helix Native software? I know that Helix Native can export patches/programs into any of the Helix hardware formats...

... another thought that comes to my mind is, can I use the Helix Native to simulate the Helix Stomp?

Helix Native is the plugin version that runs completely separately. HX-Edit is what you use to program the hardware from the computer.

Yes you can use Helix Native to simulate the Stomp, in the plugin preferences you can lock it to only allow putting the same amount of stuff in the preset as the real hardware allows so you can use that to gauge if you can fit everything you need.

')