Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Helix Native is the plugin version that runs completely separately. HX-Edit is what you use to program the hardware from the computer.

Yes you can use Helix Native to simulate the Stomp, in the plugin preferences you can lock it to only allow putting the same amount of stuff in the preset as the real hardware allows so you can use that to gauge if you can fit everything you need.

Awesome, thanks a million for your time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Okay Helix folks. For Fractal stuff, there’s a free third party program called Fractool that allows you to inspect a preset without even having a Fractal product.

Is there anything like that for inspecting HX presets?

laxu

Reaction score
Okay Helix folks. For Fractal stuff, there’s a free third party program called Fractool that allows you to inspect a preset without even having a Fractal product.

Is there anything like that for inspecting HX presets?

Not as far as I know. I don't think I have ever seen any 3rd party apps for Helix either. Fractal community has been pretty proactive in that area.

But you can just get Helix Native and run that for the trial period so I think that's even better.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Not as far as I know. I don't think I have ever seen any 3rd party apps for Helix either. Fractal community has been pretty proactive in that area.

But you can just get Helix Native and run that for the trial period so I think that's even better.

Ah. Maybe I’ll try it that way. Thanks man!

wakjob

Reaction score
It's more suitable for rock, though it does high gain pretty decently. Still, not my first choice by any stretch. It's pretty loose and fizzy, Marshall style distortion character.

I've recently discovered Fireball 100 though. Fucking amazing amp. But it must be used without a boost, and this model made me realize that boosts kind of suck. They shave off tons of low end, and they all have that mid/hi mid spike, and as a result they seriously homogenize the tone. A lot of the character and the beefiness of the amp come from those lows. A good idea is to try a gentle EQ and tame those lows in such a way that you don't completely cut them like an 808 does, thus preserving a major part of the amp's tone, but taming the muddiness if it was even needed in the first place.

Use the 'Simple EQ' pedal as a boost...best one in there IMO.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
So attempted to do the update tonight, not thinking to update my HX edit first, and it crapped out halfway through now won't load and my computer won't recognize that it is connected, should be lots of fun to deal with.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
So attempted to do the update tonight, not thinking to update my HX edit first, and it crapped out halfway through now won't load and my computer won't recognize that it is connected, should be lots of fun to deal with.
Download L6 Updaters, Restart in boot mode (hold down the middle to footswitches on the bottom row), update with Updater instead of HX Edit.

nickgray

Reaction score
Use the 'Simple EQ' pedal as a boost...best one in there IMO.

I like the Mesa EQ. I pull 80hz and 240hz down, this does the trick really well, and 80hz needs more cut than 240hz, and then just boost the level if needed. I used the big 10 band EQ previously, but it's overkill.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I just updated from 3.0, saw there was a 3.11 and went straight to that. But I have no Mandarin Rocker? I see the Das Benzin models. WTH do I need to load 3.10 first? Can I even go back?

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just updated from 3.0, saw there was a 3.11 and went straight to that. But I have no Mandarin Rocker? I see the Das Benzin models. WTH do I need to load 3.10 first? Can I even go back?

you may need to do a factory reset. Make sure you've backed up everything first. You don't need to load 3.10 first. Going straight to 3.11 is fine.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I just opened updater and loaded 3.10. It was HX Edit not showing the new amp. I downloaded latest of that and then it prompted me to load 3.11.

')