Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
That new amp sounds really good. It's not a sound I use much, but I ended up just dicking around with a little chord progression for like 45 minutes when I landed on it. Some of those delays look fun even if I wouldn't have much of a musical use for them and I'll take all the dynamic verbs they want to throw in there.
Do people find there are actually holes in the high gain options, or is it just a more is more type thing?
Personally I think helix has plenty of High gain models, plenty of low gain models, plenty of clean models. At this point, I want them to keep working on making those the best they can be and the most DSP efficient they can get. I dont mind getting new models, but they've already struck oil with me, I'd rather they focus on keeping bugs down and as technologies improve, improve upon the existing sounds they have.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Definitely more is more :lol:
I realistically use 3-4 of the high gain amps on the regular, but I’m also a dumbass that can sit there cycling through endless options on modelers all day without getting bored.

I am beyond stoked to try out these new delays and verbs and the new amp.

Also, :woot: to the inclusion of more legacy stuff. I missed the MT2 sim on here. I can’t use the HM2 clone convincingly at all for some reason. I had great success with the Killer Z getting some Swedish tones in Pod Farm, though.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That new amp sounds really good. It's not a sound I use much, but I ended up just dicking around with a little chord progression for like 45 minutes when I landed on it. Some of those delays look fun even if I wouldn't have much of a musical use for them and I'll take all the dynamic verbs they want to throw in there.
Do people find there are actually holes in the high gain options, or is it just a more is more type thing?

I was playing around with the new amp some more and it takes OD"s really well. Tight yet crunchy.

I myself am pretty happy overall with the high gain tone selection. More is always fun though. I would like to see if some of the older models could be improved though like the uberschall model, and maybe like 2204. And I wish they'd update/improve the cab modelling. I know we have IR's, but cabs are arguable one of the most important parts and they just kinda seem to /shrug on that part since there are so many 3rd party IR's.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
What I would really like to see some more of is some extra ODs. Not that there’s a shortage, but why not? I’d love to have an OD820 onboard since I love that early 2000s Sneap/Richardson guitar tone.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
And I wish they'd update/improve the cab modelling. I know we have IR's, but cabs are arguable one of the most important parts and they just kinda seem to /shrug on that part since there are so many 3rd party IR's.
This is really the only thing I really want besides some more internal LFO controller type stuff. If they added a single cab, multi-mic block or a horizontal mic adjustment I think the stock cabs would be excellent.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I updated my Helix the night before this came out. While it doesn't take too long to do, it is a little tedious, especially when it rebuilds presets and all that jazz. I saw the announcement that the new firmware dropped and felt like this guy:
cover4.jpg

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Bumping because I've found a good deal for an Helix (1k for rack+pedalboard) and I want to know more about IRs.

I've tried Native with stock cabs and some Ownhammer Heavy Hitter impulses and it's a night and day difference: for high gain stuff stock cabs are reeeaally lacking.

Any other mandatory IR I should check? I've read good things about York Audio and purchased the mesa 212 V30 cuz it was 1$ but I still have to try it.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bumping because I've found a good deal for an Helix (1k for rack+pedalboard) and I want to know more about IRs.

I've tried Native with stock cabs and some Ownhammer Heavy Hitter impulses and it's a night and day difference: for high gain stuff stock cabs are reeeaally lacking.

Any other mandatory IR I should check? I've read good things about York Audio and purchased the mesa 212 V30 cuz it was 1$ but I still have to try it.
Stock cabs are not that bad but they're harder to dial in and require dual cabs with different mics summed back to mono, just like IRs that are multi mic mixes.

I didn't find Ownhammer to be better, just very different from the stock cabs, particularly for their hyped bass. York is significantly better IMO. I'd recommend getting one of their 4x12 V30's (either the Mesa OS or Bogner) if you're into metal. If you want more classic rock to early metal, also get a 4x12 greenback IR pack (either the M25 or EVH). I'm also a big fan of the 2x12 M65 IRs - that's probably the most versatile one as it has a more neutral character than the others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score

I mean, everyone hears things differently and likes different things. So far my favorites have been the Bogren Digital and the York DV77 2x12 pack. The Bogren ones sound (to me) like there is more board/preamp/EQ mojo mixed in and they work well in recordings with but they can get harsh and overly sizzly at high volumes for live use, where as the DV77 is a little more "natural" sounding (sounds more like its right off the mic with minimal post processing) and the Fredman and Mean mixes sound freaking awesome at rehearsal volumes. I also have some ML Soundlabs ones that are good and mix well with both the Bogrena and York ones. I haven't found anything I liked from Ownhammer or Redwirez. Either too boomy or too scooped on the ones I've tried. I actually rebuilt all of my live tones around the DV77 Fredman mix because it sounds so tasty cranked up.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Right now I finally found a sound I want to use on my next project, all helix based. I have a Horizon Precision drive split into parallel with a Swedish Chainsaw (HM2) [this way I can blend in a bit of the grind] going into the Revv Purple and then into 2 IR's, one Ownhammer Orange H75 Scumback 4x12 and one York Audio Mesa 2x12 V30, and I reallllllllly think it captures the chainsaw but retains its tight and precise character. I'm really happy with it right now.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
I'll second the York Audio recommendation. I prefer them over the Ownhammer and ML Sound Lab offerings. My favorites are the DV-77, M-65 Creamback, and Mesa OS412.

On almost every patch now I have a 50/50 mix of the DV-77 and OS 412.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Right now I finally found a sound I want to use on my next project, all helix based. I have a Horizon Precision drive split into parallel with a Swedish Chainsaw (HM2) [this way I can blend in a bit of the grind] going into the Revv Purple and then into 2 IR's, one Ownhammer Orange H75 Scumback 4x12 and one York Audio Mesa 2x12 V30, and I reallllllllly think it captures the chainsaw but retains its tight and precise character. I'm really happy with it right now.
I do this all the time to great effect, an awesome sound! Worth swapping in a fuzz in the HM2 spot as wel for a thicker sound.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Thanks, the 212 V30 form York Audio sounded better than the Ownhammer, need to check the OS Mesa 412 pack

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I third...er 4th... whatever number it is the York IR"s. They're great. I like the 5153 pack and the M65 Cream for something different. All their stuff sounds great though

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I caved and bought a few packs from York Audio last weekend and don't get the hype at all. They're fine but I don't see why they're necessarily better than competitor's offerings, or even some of the free IRs around.

I got the Mesa OS 4x12, 2x12 (the discount one), and DV-77 packs and all have a harsh peak in the high mids depending on the speaker/mic mixes and all seem to lack low end.

What specific IRs or mixes from these packs are people using? With some fettling and changing amp settings I managed to get a combination of mic mixes from the DV-77 and OS4x12 packs sound good but none really worked on their own despite sounding great on various YouTube channels.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I caved and bought a few packs from York Audio last weekend and don't get the hype at all. They're fine but I don't see why they're necessarily better than competitor's offerings, or even some of the free IRs around.

I got the Mesa OS 4x12, 2x12 (the discount one), and DV-77 packs and all have a harsh peak in the high mids depending on the speaker/mic mixes and all seem to lack low end.

What specific IRs or mixes from these packs are people using? With some fettling and changing amp settings I managed to get a combination of mic mixes from the DV-77 and OS4x12 packs sound good but none really worked on their own despite sounding great on various YouTube channels.
oh i'm actually not as much of a fan of the DV77 one. I like my other dv77 ones I have better from Eminence.

I tend to just use an sm57+121 combo of some kind and sometimes a room mic one when a pack has it.
I don't really use the MESA ones tbh. If I want a v30 i usually go with the Orange (since that's my real cab), or I'll use the bogner, or friedman, or etc..

The ampeg is great btw for bass

for other brands, i do like some of my Celestion digital stuff as well.

Reactions: drb

Latest posts

')