Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vrollin

Reaction score
I read on the Facebook forum that it will cost current Helix owners $99. But would be able to register it up to 4 computers at a time.

Hopefully then the editor is updated to include sound meters too. It's about all I want/need from the whole thing....

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Holy crap I am so stoked for the new Sunn model and the Darkglass pedal. Those alone are going to make this update rule my face off.

Still no input/output/GR meteres, though...:noplease:

Reaction score
Wonder if it will receive all the same updates.
It will. If Helix/Helix Rack get updated, so will Helix Native. Ideally, at the same time, but time will tell.

Hopefully then the editor is updated to include sound meters too. It's about all I want/need from the whole thing...
We're discontinuing the current Helix editor in favor of one based on Helix Native's GUI engine. That's why we haven't yet improved our update procedure; there's no point if we're dumping the thing.

The new Helix Edit software will still be free, and there's a chance it could get meters. A bit too early to confirm or deny; the plug-in's not even in beta yet, and the new editor comes after its release.

Vrollin

Reaction score
It will. If Helix/Helix Rack get updated, so will Helix Native. Ideally, at the same time, but time will tell.

We're discontinuing the current Helix editor in favor of one based on Helix Native's GUI engine. That's why we haven't yet improved our update procedure; there's no point if we're dumping the thing.

The new Helix Edit software will still be free, and there's a chance it could get meters. A bit too early to confirm or deny; the plug-in's not even in beta yet, and the new editor comes after its release.

So safe to assume helix editor will be dumped on its arse in favor of forcing people to fork out more for the native plugin so they can have access to basic features like metering or potentially even just for the sake of doing updates....? Its starting to head the way I feared it would for this unit, updates and features only for those willing to pay more and more....:wallbash:

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
It hardly seems to be "forcing" anyone to "fork out" anything if it is free.

It will surely work as a marketing tool (for those who already own the Helix) seeing that it will use the same GUI as the Native.

mikah912

Reaction score
So safe to assume helix editor will be dumped on its arse in favor of forcing people to fork out more for the native plugin so they can have access to basic features like metering or potentially even just for the sake of doing updates....? Its starting to head the way I feared it would for this unit, updates and features only for those willing to pay more and more....:wallbash:

Dude, you literally quoted him saying "The new Helix Edit software WILL STILL BE FREE", but you're still busting his balls over "paying more and more"????

For real?

These are the days Digital Igloo questions his life choices, methinks.....:lol:

Helix is going on a year and a half old, and - counting the announced FREE February update - they've churned out a boatload of free content and functionality that's gone above and beyond.

I mean, PRS Archons, Darkglass pedal AND a new version of the Big Bottom? They're virtually checking off every request from the modern metal community. Still, the complaints......

Vrollin

Reaction score
Dude, you literally quoted him saying "The new Helix Edit software WILL STILL BE FREE", but you're still busting his balls over "paying more and more"????

For real?

These are the days Digital Igloo questions his life choices, methinks.....:lol:

Helix is going on a year and a half old, and - counting the announced FREE February update - they've churned out a boatload of free content and functionality that's gone above and beyond.

I mean, PRS Archons, Darkglass pedal AND a new version of the Big Bottom? They're virtually checking off every request from the modern metal community. Still, the complaints......

You missed the part where the Helix Native plugin comes at a cost? Its right there, two or three posts ago, before yours and who ever else it was scoffing that everything will remain free. The plugin, as stated will have more features than the editor, this is my main contention. Fork up, or miss out on the additional features, this isn't an add on to a $200 unit, I paid $2400 when this first come out to get my hands on one, they're now $3000 new in stores here, its a real kick in the teeth that they would now offer more features but not without another cash grab. Of course the editor will be updated over time, but most likely only to support the new firmware on the helix itself and not with new features. Remember L6 is a business...

The feb announcement has refinements for reverbs, and a butt load of bass stuff, which is great for bass players. As for functionality that goes above and beyond, this is clearly where you are getting yourself confused with the editor and the plug in which comes with a price tag...

Yup they have had a couple of amp updates, my fav update so far hasn't even been an amp update, its been snapshots and the ability to have a switchless wah, but the fact remains that they still have missed a few of the basics, metering, tuner in editor, saving of global presets and IR's, there's more, but these are a few of the small things that I still look at and say wtf why are these not here.

Sorry that my concerns for continued free support and longevity of a product I own has offended you so deeply. Out of curiosity, do you have one yourself?

mikah912

Reaction score
You missed the part where the Helix Native plugin comes at a cost? Its right there, two or three posts ago, before yours and who ever else it was scoffing that everything will remain free. The plugin, as stated will have more features than the editor, this is my main contention. Fork up, or miss out on the additional features, this isn't an add on to a $200 unit, I paid $2400 when this first come out to get my hands on one, they're now $3000 new in stores here, its a real kick in the teeth that they would now offer more features but not without another cash grab. Of course the editor will be updated over time, but most likely only to support the new firmware on the helix itself and not with new features. Remember L6 is a business...

The feb announcement has refinements for reverbs, and a butt load of bass stuff, which is great for bass players. As for functionality that goes above and beyond, this is clearly where you are getting yourself confused with the editor and the plug in which comes with a price tag...

Yup they have had a couple of amp updates, my fav update so far hasn't even been an amp update, its been snapshots and the ability to have a switchless wah, but the fact remains that they still have missed a few of the basics, metering, tuner in editor, saving of global presets and IR's, there's more, but these are a few of the small things that I still look at and say wtf why are these not here.

Sorry that my concerns for continued free support and longevity of a product I own has offended you so deeply. Out of curiosity, do you have one yourself?

I do, indeed, own a Helix. Love it.

But just so I'm crystal clear...you expect Line 6 to create a plugin version of their $1500 flagship platform...then release it for free?

Who does that? Not Fractal. Not Kemper. Not anybody.

Fractal charges for the full version of Cab Lab and for every IR pack they sell. Line 6 is putting out free IRs and free hybrid cabs, and makes all of the Editing software free. Yes, for the plugin - which is a software version of Helix to broaden its appeal - they are asking for money, but you don't have to buy it. The hardware Helix will keep feature parity with the software version, so you will never miss out on anything, and what's more, you can already reamp with the hardware unit once you have it set up properly in the DAW of your choice. This simply allows you to get Helix tones without having your machine plugged up AND lets you run as many instances of it as your CPU/RAM will allow.

Again....no hardware Helix owner is compelled to buy this and they will miss no features when they don't. And this is hardly a "cash grab". If anything, it's risky because it has no hardware dongle requirement, and could very well be cracked....thereby doing serious damage to sales of the platform in ANY form factor. Not requiring you to own a Helix to have it is a huge gamble.

And let's not act like Helix has had "a couple" of amp updates. There have been three ones - each with multiple channels/models added. They've added lots of effects. The February update will be the fourth with lots of both, plus new hybrid cabs. As you said, the Snapshots feature is huge. All this in 18 months. If that doesn't give you confidence for the "continued free support and longevity"...what would?

Is there someone else releasing a software version of their flagship hardware...AT ALL, much less for free? Is there someone else piling on bass models and different fuzzes and overdrives? When was the last time Fractal added any overdrive to their lineup? Or bass amps and preamps? Or new effects?

I can get if you're skittish about Line 6 charging for stuff and not providing a ton of updates based on past behavior in the X3/HD era, but I think it's absurd to ignore how they've been busting their butt to disprove it since Helix has been launched.

They're not just matching what the expectations are in the Fractal/Kemper era....they're going beyond them with moves like Helix Native.

Reaction score
You missed the part where the Helix Native plugin comes at a cost?
Huh? Helix Native is a VST/AU/AAX plug-in for your DAW. It has nothing to do with Helix or Helix Rack other than having the same models and the ability to share presets. It's a completely separate product for a completely different use case—and in many cases, a different customer.

The Helix Editor is something else entirely and will continue to be free.

Are Helix Rack owners entitled to Helix Control for free too? At least that's part of the actual hardware ecosystem.

Lach Rae Dawn

Reaction score
Huh? Helix Native is a VST/AU/AAX plug-in for your DAW. It has nothing to do with Helix or Helix Rack other than having the same models and the ability to share presets. It's a completely separate product for a completely different use case—and in many cases, a different customer.

The Helix Editor is something else entirely and will continue to be free.

Are Helix Rack owners entitled to Helix Control for free too? At least that's part of the actual hardware ecosystem.

No worries DI. I own the rack+controller, and I think $99 is a really good price point for Helix Native. I will be grabbing it at launch, and I am not alone.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score

Did you also miss the part where they're are re-doing the FREE EDITOR to reflect the interface of the VST? If you need metering that badly right now, just hook the Helix up to your DAW and, ya know, meter your levels.....so far the only thing that's going to cost money is the VST that is entirely different product than the hardware, and if you already own a Helix, you get it at 25% of retail.....Are you expecting the VST for free?

Radau

Bongoloid
Reaction score
Nice! Want to share the patch possibly?

Alrighty, so it's set up in 4 Snap/4 Stomp mode but there's 8 snaps in total, Lo Gain, Hi Gain, Lo Gain Lead, Hi Gain Lead, Clean, Clean w/ Dotted Delay, Ambient Clean & Ambient Lead.

The guitar I used was an Ibanez Prestige RGD2127FX with Seymour Duncan Pegasus & Sentient pickups, so you may have to adjust it to you slightly. I generally use the neck pickup for the low gain and clean sounds.

The Impluse is from OwnHammer's free impluse pack "OH 412 MES-ST V60 57-00" So just match it up in your loader and you should be good to go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hatlzu1su4sxj4k/Alpha Omega.hlx?dl=0

Let me know how it goes!

that short guy

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just dumb but I thought I read somewhere that the new cabs where already available for download? If this is true can someone tell me where lol

Lach Rae Dawn

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just dumb but I thought I read somewhere that the new cabs where already available for download? If this is true can someone tell me where lol

No not yet, but they did put out a free IR pack. Allure or something of the nature.

I am not sure where to get it, but they did have a link somewhere on the Line 6 Helix forum.

mongey

Reaction score
been living under a rock and only read about the vst version today

I'm def interested for my on the train commute mixing

Is $399 usd for download a global price ? or will there be regional pricing ?

Latest posts

')