Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Price check on selling a used Helix Rack. Near new condition, non smoking, no gigs, no rack mounting scratches. Also, wiped to factory settings the default way to sell digital gear?

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Shit i searched back a while couldnt find either within a few months well done thanks haha
Looks like the threads have been merged at this point into this very thread. As I recall, the contents of the original Helix thread run from the first post of this thread until around May 2018. Then the posts from the other 2.8 thread run from about January to May of 2019. Hope that helps put things into context.

Element0s

Low Fantasy/Black Denim
Reaction score
Did the firmware update a few days ago and swapped out the Archon amp head for the Revv right as we were soundchecking at rehearsal last night. Loved it. Super tight and rich. I found myself having to dial back the aggression and presence because it was getting too nasty for classic metal but it was an instant and welcome change to a tone that I'd been growing a weary of over the past year.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Latency when using the Helix as an ASIO interface isn't quite as good as my Focusrite 18i8 but it's pretty close; unless you're trying to get sub-4ms roundtrip times then I think you'd be happy with that aspect.
If you can reliably stay under 7 ms it’s usually pretty workable IME.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
A little late to the party with this realization, but here goes anyways.

As I’m looking at options for a future setup, the Helix becomes appealing from just a value perspective. Not only do the amp models sound great, the board is worth it even just as an all-in-one effects solution with the benefit of being a MIDI controller. Last night I did some math and priced out everything needed for a modest pedalboard (delay, reverb, modulation, couple OD pedals, cables, board, Morningstar MIDI controller) and the Helix is still cheaper by a significant margin.

Additionally, the ability to move effects around anywhere in the chain with 4CM would require the pedalboard real estate and cost of something like a Boss ES-5 or ES-8 on a conventional setup.

So even if you just use a full bore Helix for effects with a conventional amp, it seems you’d be ahead of the game.

brandon7s

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A little late to the party with this realization, but here goes anyways.

As I’m looking at options for a future setup, the Helix becomes appealing from just a value perspective. Not only do the amp models sound great, the board is worth it even just as an all-in-one effects solution with the benefit of being a MIDI controller. Last night I did some math and priced out everything needed for a modest pedalboard (delay, reverb, modulation, couple OD pedals, cables, board, Morningstar MIDI controller) and the Helix is still cheaper by a significant margin.

Additionally, the ability to move effects around anywhere in the chain with 4CM would require the pedalboard real estate and cost of something like a Boss ES-5 or ES-8 on a conventional setup.

So even if you just use a full bore Helix for effects with a conventional amp, it seems you’d be ahead of the game.

I ended up selling my Helix LT and getting an HX Stomp instead because I didnt really need elaborate patches and I love the stomp form factor, and I have no need for MIDI controls. Unfortunatel I did that before 2.8 came out which introduced assigning switches to hotkeys and macros, which I definitely would use! Having footswitches set to stop/record/play/new clip/etc in my DAW would be a pretty cool feature and would let me use my DAW as a more traditional looper pedal in a way.

I wonder if the stomp supports that feature... I don't think I does but I'll double check just in case I'm missing out. Just one more value add for the LT and floorboard though

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
I ended up selling my Helix LT and getting an HX Stomp instead because I didnt really need elaborate patches and I love the stomp form factor, and I have no need for MIDI controls. Unfortunatel I did that before 2.8 came out which introduced assigning switches to hotkeys and macros, which I definitely would use! Having footswitches set to stop/record/play/new clip/etc in my DAW would be a pretty cool feature and would let me use my DAW as a more traditional looper pedal in a way.

I wonder if the stomp supports that feature... I don't think I does but I'll double check just in case I'm missing out. Just one more value add for the LT and floorboard though
I’m not sure about that. But that is a really handy feature!

My uses for the Helix would be more complex. I also play a Chapman Stick, which requires a split/stereo signal path for each side of the instrument. Then my thought is utilize a MIDI controlled A/B switcher for one of the jacks so I can also use it in 4CM with a regular guitar amp and cab. The A/B box would keep loops 2-4 free to add some additional pedals.

sleewell

Reaction score
i'm over a year in and still REALLY love my helix LT. i use it in 4cm with my 5153 half stack.

totally solved the vol jump between green and blue channels. i use the prs archon amp sim for cleans and the blue channel for my main dirt sound.

scrub

Reaction score
Guys, super Helix nube here. I'm running 4 cable method into a mark V. I have the effects loop block in the signal chain. When I put a delay after the effects loop block, it sounds like crap. What am I missing?

sleewell

Reaction score
Guys, super Helix nube here. I'm running 4 cable method into a mark V. I have the effects loop block in the signal chain. When I put a delay after the effects loop block, it sounds like crap. What am I missing?

does the footswitch for the amp have fx loop bypass function? happens to me all the time where i forget to turn on the fx loop.

sleewell

Reaction score
holy cow that new revv amp from the last update is AMAZING!!!!

bump the aggression to 2 and that is some fantastic modern metal tones.

scrub

Reaction score
does the footswitch for the amp have fx loop bypass function? happens to me all the time where i forget to turn on the fx loop.

to my knowledge there is no effects loop bypass. and to clarify...it's a mark v 25. sorry about that.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
holy cow that new revv amp from the last update is AMAZING!!!!

That's probably gonna be my new favorite thing ever. With my stoopid-low tuned guitars all I need is that aggression switch and a little EQ in front to clean up some mud going in and I can get rid of a boost and a compressor I was using on most of my other dirt presets.
EDIT: I also grabbed that ML Halloween pack and those IR mixes are awesome.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score

I just tried it out the night before last, definitely a great model. However, opposite of most I found that I preferred the aggression setting all the way down. That and I also dialed the Bias and BiasX down all the way and man it really opened up. Nice and clear but super heavy. With the aggression set to 2 palm mutes ring out with a lot of crunchy noise.

Rev.

sleewell

Reaction score
I just tried it out the night before last, definitely a great model. However, opposite of most I found that I preferred the aggression setting all the way down. That and I also dialed the Bias and BiasX down all the way and man it really opened up. Nice and clear but super heavy. With the aggression set to 2 palm mutes ring out with a lot of crunchy noise.

Rev.

right on, i'll have to try that.

')