Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gander

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm quite familiar with NadIR, but I didn't know that it could be integrated with the Helix. Or am I misunderstanding you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nickgray

Reaction score
I'm quite familiar with NadIR, but I didn't know that it could be integrated with the Helix. Or am I misunderstanding you?

It can't be integrated in any way, but you can use it with the demo of Helix Native, for example, or running a hardware unit without an IR block directly into the DAW with NadIR on the track. It's just way more convenient, as Helix (both Native and hardware) has only 128 slots, which is tons, but for demoing purposes it's not that much, plus you'd have to import IRs (which takes time on the hardware), basically, it's a headache. With NadIR you just have straight access to all the IRs on your hard drive, and blending two IRs is easier as well.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Pro-tip for IRs - stick with the manufacturer quick mixes, lol. Some of these guys are packing hundreds and hundreds of mics/mic positions into these packs and its daunting and 99% pointless unless you're in an absolutely critical recording situation and nothing else is working. IME 99% the reason the manufacturer picked the quick mixes is because they sound really good.

lewis

Reaction score
Pro-tip for IRs - stick with the manufacturer quick mixes, lol. Some of these guys are packing hundreds and hundreds of mics/mic positions into these packs and its daunting and 99% pointless unless you're in an absolutely critical recording situation and nothing else is working. IME 99% the reason the manufacturer picked the quick mixes is because they sound really good.

THIS!

Feck going down that rabbit hole again. Thousands of random IR mic/cab placements.
Eurgh.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
THIS!

Feck going down that rabbit hole again. Thousands of random IR mic/cab placements.
Eurgh.
I snagged the $10 Halloween pack from ML last year and I haven't touched any other IRs since. There was only like 9-10 IRs in that pack and they all sound great. I don't care if its an SM57 exactly at the right distance or whatever, as long as it sounds good.

Gander

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That sounded very drag-and-dropish, I like it, the antithesis of Apple design:flex:

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing this? After updating to v2.90, I was intermittently experiencing an issue where I'd turn on my HX Stomp and it would default to a very generic OD tone and not allow me to switch to any preset, factory or user. If I turn it off/on again, it usually works right, but sometimes I have to cycle it off/on multiple times for it to function properly. After I first updated, it was only doing it every few times I'd turn it on, but now it's every time. And, to make matters worse, the HX Edit is losing connection intermittently when I do get the unit to work properly. Put in a Support Ticket with L6, but since it's Saturday morning, I'm not expecting a reply anytime soon...

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score
There's a 2.91 hotfix already.

Updated to that, which - so far - has fixed the issue of having to turn it off/on again to get the presets to load, but still having the issue where Edit randomly disconnects. Probably should have stuck with 2.80... ha.

nickgray

Reaction score
but still having the issue where Edit randomly disconnects

Maybe it's just the usual USB-related shenanigans? Make sure the cable is plugged directly to the USB port on the motherboard (not via any sort of a hub, that includes ports on the PC case). Try a bunch of different ports and a different cable too.

Iron1

Old School Blacksmith
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the usual USB-related shenanigans? Make sure the cable is plugged directly to the USB port on the motherboard (not via any sort of a hub, that includes ports on the PC case). Try a bunch of different ports and a different cable too.

They're all good - never experienced this until the 2.9 update. All I have to do is close the app and reopen it and it fixes it. If it was a loose connection, that probably wouldn't work every time to fix it. But, good thinking - thanks for being helpful!

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I'm getting a hum going direct that i wasn't getting before. I figured out how to run no cab sim to my amp and the right out has IR going to the board and running both outs there's hum I didn't have with just one. I'll try a mic cable but need an adapter. Tried 2 different 1/4 inch.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I'm getting a hum going direct that i wasn't getting before. I figured out how to run no cab sim to my amp and the right out has IR going to the board and running both outs there's hum I didn't have with just one. I'll try a mic cable but need an adapter. Tried 2 different 1/4 inch.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you have one 1/4" output with no IR going to an amp/cab and another 1/4" output with an IR going to your console? If this is the case and you lose the hum when unplugging one output, it sounds like you have a ground loop. Something liek this will help with that: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer/HD400.gc

I had a similar issue when running my Helix 4CM on tour. These do color the tone a tiny bit, but I'm quite sure it's just because the Behringer version has shit transformers inside. There are nicer ones by EBtech and other companies if you're willing to pay more of a premium.

lewis

Reaction score
What the heck is the power soloution for the HX effects on a pedalboard?

Why the he'll they didn't make these IEC or something I don't know.

Their stock power supply is a plug that's a stupid shape and would cover about 3 sockets on an extension. I wanted my pedalboard to need only 2 power cables now it's looking like it will need to be 3 with the HX using its own dumb asf cable.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
What the heck is the power soloution for the HX effects on a pedalboard?

Why the he'll they didn't make these IEC or something I don't know.

Their stock power supply is a plug that's a stupid shape and would cover about 3 sockets on an extension. I wanted my pedalboard to need only 2 power cables now it's looking like it will need to be 3 with the HX using its own dumb asf cable.
I honestly love L6, but they do some shit that doesn't make any sense sometimes. That PSU is one of them. Its the same one they used for the POD HD floor pedals and for a pedal it doesn't make ANY sense. If the PSU needs to be that big, put in in-line so you can stash it somewhere. It was a really common complaint and when I saw they used it for the FX I was kinda shocked, actually. Nobody liked that shape/design. They also fixed the compressor block in the Firehawk FX pedal behind the amp model, which was also a stupid decision.

Reaction score
What the heck is the power soloution for the HX effects on a pedalboard? Why the he'll they didn't make these IEC or something I don't know.
A) IEC is huge and would blow up the footprint. B) Then you wouldn't be able to power it from your pedalboard power supply.
No one hates that DC-3g power supply more than I do. After I complained loudly for many months, POD Go is shipping with a much smaller DC-3h now, but it hasn't officially been approved for inclusion in HX Effects or HX Stomp boxes yet. (Spoiler alert: It works great, but it's still bigger than I wish it was.)

The reason we had to go with that power supply is that it's the only one that resulted in the same sonic specs as Helix. Cheap, tiny power supplies often increase the noise floor and can introduce other audible garbage. Also, YGG's a hardcore stickler for following international compliance. Your average small pedal manufacturer may not have the budget to ensure their power supplies pass international requirements that seem to change every year.

Interesting aside: The Strymon Zuma and Ojai are the only power supplies we've tried that result in the same audio specs as our DC-3g and DC-3h. Others might as well—we haven't tried more than a handful—but Strymon makes killer power distribution.

')