Line 6, Hughes & Kettner, ENGL which one?

• Thread starter rythmic_pulses
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rythmic_pulses

Bari/Bass VI Nerd
Reaction score
well I have been looking around for heads that will suit my needs for metal i have looked and played a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade which was really good but i have a fear of tubes for some reason (Blowing up mid gig) and i have played an ENGL Savage too both are really good amps but when i played the Vetta II the tweakability was outstanding so i'm really stuck between the three.

Any help would be appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
The Line 6 is the most reliable
The H&K is the least

The ENGL is most expensive
The H&K is probably the least

The H&K and Line 6 both have insane amounts of effect switchability
The ENGL doesn't, but is still midi controllable

The ENGL or H&K will be easiest to get hold of.

The H&K will be the cheapest used, but also probably the hardest to find (used that is).

Nothing there about which sounds best though, which is the bit that matters, because unfortunately that's your decision.

Despite the Line6 appearing to come out best from my brief comparison, it's the one I personally would be least likely to buy. I'd probably go for the ENGL, but so what?

Sorry to be vague, but my comparison is all true, and I'm a Line 6 and H&K dealer. I don't mean that in a sales sense, but I mean I have decent experience with the two brands. We send more H&K away for repair than anything else in the shop.

mtillem

Reaction score
I personally would recommend finding a used Peavey 5150 or 6505 (same exact amp). If you can find one though, the Peavey 5150 II or 6505+ (again same amp) is more versatile. I have played through many amps and been so happy with my 5150.

So to explain my above that many people get confused about. The 5150 and 6505 are the exact same amp but marketed differently, same situation with the 5150 II and the 6505+. The 6505+ is the exact same amp as the 6505 with some minor differences including but not limited to, an additional 12AX7 tube, separate EQ section for the two channels, some people say the 6505+ has a better clean sound but I don't know why fully and I think it only has 1 input where the 6505 has 2.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
The Line 6 is the most reliable

I agree with all your points except this one - I worked for a Line-6 dealer for some years, and saw no less than 4 Vetta-II's come in for repair because they had lit on fire mid-gig :eek: I can't say I've ever heard of the Switchblade or Savage doing this.

I don't want to deter you from Line-6, though; I just wouldn't get a Vetta. You can get basically the same functionality and better tone (IMO) from a PODx3 (get the Pro :tmm:) and a good tube poweramp. I would chose this (option 4?) over any of the 3 above, personally.

I personally would recommend finding a used Peavey 5150 or 6505

Considering his location, I think this is a less viable option.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
If I remember correctly...the original Vettas are the only ones that caught fire. I believe they fixed that issue with the Vetta II, but Tom could easily correct me there.

I've never been crazy about the lower end H&K and ENGL gear. The switchblade just never impressed me over the years when I'd play one randomly in a store. The Savage is more of a mid-line head for ENGL, but still the cheapest one I like. It has a really nice raw crunch to it that I always liked.

What else will you be using? Guitar, pickups, cabinet, etc. Is there a specific band's tone that you're trying to nail?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I agree with all your points except this one - I worked for a Line-6 dealer for some years, and saw no less than 4 Vetta-II's come in for repair because they had lit on fire mid-gig :eek: I can't say I've ever heard of the Switchblade or Savage doing this.

Larkin was correct, this was a very well known issue with the Vetta, not the II's. Not that we've sold more than one Vetta II but we take non-warranty Line 6 repairs reasonably frequently and never had a II in.

We've had 2 Statesmans and 3 Switchblades back with power section failures. One switch blade (combo) did actually have a hole burnt in it, but apparently that was just the tube getting really hot, it never actually burst into flames lol.

As for the ENGL's, OP I'd consider spending a little more and going for the Invader, I much prefer the cleans and the distortion sounds a little less nasal.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
If I remember correctly...the original Vettas are the only ones that caught fire. I believe they fixed that issue with the Vetta II, but Tom could easily correct me there.

4 Vetta-IIs and 2 Vetta-Is in 2.5 years :ugh:

ykcirj

Reaction score
My vetta 2 has just been shipped back to me from Line 6. After having it looked over by several techs it's finally been repaired for $75. Wish it wouldn't have taken 7 months :( They are good amps. Just have some major reliability issues. I had a tech replace any crappy parts he could see. Then sent the amp to line 6 to finish fixing the original problem.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I'm pretty confident the OP should rule out the Vetta, lol.

Nothing else from Line6 goes wrong, why's the Vetta so prone to it?

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
I'm pretty confident the OP should rule out the Vetta, lol.

Nothing else from Line6 goes wrong, why's the Vetta so prone to it?

My best guess is that it's something to do with the power section, considering that's where the power to start a fire is. All other Line-6 gear either doesn't have a power section, or if it does have a power section, it's not the size / power of a Vetta's. The HD147 is the exception there, and I also saw a few of those come in.

')