Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Getting an HD300 in a few days. I want a tone like TesseracT's one with a bit more of a midrange growl. how doable is that?

guitarman,

If you can swing it I'd upgrade to the 400/500 just for the effects loop alone. You can great deals on both if you're willing to buy used.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TrashJuice

Reaction score
I bought an HD500 used a few months ago and only just recently attempted to use the expression pedal. When I select it, the setting "EXP-2" is listed under volume. Turning the knob on-screen and moving the pedal itself up and down doesn't appear to change the volume level. The level itself is pretty soft, but goes back to normal if I disable the volume pedal.

Is my expression pedal screwed up or is there something I'm doing wrong here?

btbamthewell

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm thinking of getting the POD HD 500 and I'm wondering if it's possible to not use the default software (pod farm?) and use something like guitar rig? I know there is no dry out, but is there some other way?

Tones

Red paperclip trader
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm thinking of getting the POD HD 500 and I'm wondering if it's possible to not use the default software (pod farm?) and use something like guitar rig? I know there is no dry out, but is there some other way?

you mean to tweak settings? No there really is no way to tweak settings without the POD HD500 edit software.

thewolf49

Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on some of the better USB based audio interfaces? I was looking at the Focusrite Scarlet models, any good? USB vs Firewire as far as noise or sound quality?

meambobbo

Reaction score
i prefer firewire, and I like to connect it to a dedicated firewire card with a good controller like a TI rather than whatever onboard firewire controller comes on the motherboard. usb is too slow and prone to IRQ issues for me.

thewolf49

Reaction score
I'm not sure what IRQ issues are...I'm a noob haha. Anyway, I picked up a Presonus 22VSL USB 2.0 interface. I'll see how it goes. I here good things, plus Ola Englund used one for a couple of his vids so that's good enough for me

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
mobius,

here is my advice. put a mid-focus EQ in front the amp. set low freq to 0 and high freq to 100% and gain to 0% to start. that basically makes it tone-neutral.

turn up low freq to clean up the muddy low end and get more clarity. low freq should be around 50-60% and low Q around 20-50%.

the high end i like to set around high freq 85%. boosting Q above 50% to like 70-90% creates a peak at the frequency you set. So once play with both the frequency and Q settings to find where it dials in the thick djenty tone.

for the amp DEP's, I like to set Master, Hum, and Bias up to around 70%, maybe set Bias even higher - this seems to make the amp more aggressive with the djenty upper mids/treble frequencies. I like to lower Sag to around 25% to make the response a bit tighter without having too much impact on tone and Bias X to around 20% to keep the aggressive tone.

for the regular amp controls, crank the Drive. Set the EQ to taste, but I recommend starting with everything around 50%.

The high Bias setting might make the amp a bit midsy. I don't recommend trying to cut this using the Mids control on the amp - it's very wide and will scoop too much tone. Use a parametric EQ after the amp instead.

good luck!

Dude, instead of the mid focus EQ, use the Q filter! It's much more flexible! Set it to HP (high pass), turn the Q to 0, and Gain to 0, and mix to 0. Also, frequemcy to 0.

Start by turning Mix to 10%, and turn up Frequency to anout 10-14% or something around that. This lets you do the high pass thing, but you also get to boost it with the gain knob if you want to, and you can mix the dry and filtered signals howevr you want!

Of course, this doesn't let you do the whole high filter thing.

meambobbo

Reaction score
sweet advice - i'll try it out.

the only fear i have is that the mid focus EQ let's you boost a resonant peak in the high end by setting the high Q above ~60%. So you can dial in the exact spot you want your djenty peak that puts the distortion over the top. I don't really need it to filter the high end much. in fact, filtering too much high end can take the life out of the tone.

TrashJuice

Reaction score
I don't think you're required to use any software other than Line 6 Monkey (which finds updates for your hardware) and POD HD Edit (which just controls the HD500's models and effects and helps you build setlists). I don't use any other software at all. I would assume if there is some way to use it in POD Farm then you can probably use it with whatever software modeler you want.

But why buy an HD500 if you're just going to use software modeling? You could just get a USB interface for a lot cheaper.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Meambobbo, i combined two EQ things for my current tone. First the Q filter, and then i think the parametric EQ. The one that has a low and high knob, and a mid knob with a Q and Gain knob. So you have these three bands. I leave low and high alone i think, since the Q filter does that, and then i boost the mid band. Q on it's lowest and widest setting, and then i do a careful boost and adjust the frequency to hit the quacky munchy frequency that gets me that nice attack and chug. Mmm!

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Loving this thing, took me LITERALLY 5 minutes to get a good tone.
Then I recorded it.

That tone. Is awesome. I think a lotta people tweak way too much, I did my settings in the first 2 hours I had it and haven't really touched em since :hbang:

btbamthewell

Reaction score
I don't think you're required to use any software other than Line 6 Monkey (which finds updates for your hardware) and POD HD Edit (which just controls the HD500's models and effects and helps you build setlists). I don't use any other software at all. I would assume if there is some way to use it in POD Farm then you can probably use it with whatever software modeler you want.

But why buy an HD500 if you're just going to use software modeling? You could just get a USB interface for a lot cheaper.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Just out of interest how is the quality of recording using the USB? I only have a pc and guitar atm.
Main reason I want a POD HD is Chimp Spanner....All Roads Lead Here sounds insanely sexy!

meambobbo

Reaction score
yeah, i'm stumped with the Q filter. I always end up with something that's barely noticeable or sounds too much like a fixed position wah pedal. I tried it both in high pass and band pass modes and played with all the parameters. I guess I could have spent more time with it, but it just wasn't working for me at all.

Since I often run 2 amp patches (to get two different cab tones), I need to reduce the number of effects I use as much as possible. I was running 2 Studio EQ's in front for a while, then changed to a Graphic, and now I'm using the mid-focus. I find the mid-focus is very versatile since you can use Q to actually create a slight boost before it drops off the high or low end. I thought I might get good results pairing it with a Parametric EQ, but once I tweaked enough I found the PEQ was simply unnecessary.

Should be finalizing my patches tonight and starting recording.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
or sounds too much like a fixed position wah pedal.

To throw my 2 cents here,since I own the HD300 and the EQ adjustability isn't that great,I'm forced to use a fixed position wah.The only one that does it for me is the weeper,fixed exactly at 80% .

mlancaster1

Reaction score
"flip top" it should be there, i just downloaded it myself :scratch:

Ok I just found it but it still won't show up on my hd edit. I finally found it on the pod screen itself and even when I save the preset it shows up as nothing on my hd edit screen. Its like that with the matching cab too they both show up as empty spaces on the edit screen. Anybody know how to fix this? I checked on the monkey software and everything is up to date.

Latest posts

')