This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
Hiya!

I currently have a Pod xt, but i'm starting to become more serious with recording, etc
And i struggle with the xt to get the rhythm tones that I desire, and for leads i usually have to do things like record a whole solo twice in order to get the saturated tone that i want.

I could buy an HD400 right off the bat, but i'd need about a month or two to raise the money for an HD500, which i'm assuming is worth the wait but i don't know what the differences between the two are

SammerX

Reaction score
Hiya!

I currently have a Pod xt, but i'm starting to become more serious with recording, etc
And i struggle with the xt to get the rhythm tones that I desire, and for leads i usually have to do things like record a whole solo twice in order to get the saturated tone that i want.

I could buy an HD400 right off the bat, but i'd need about a month or two to raise the money for an HD500, which i'm assuming is worth the wait but i don't know what the differences between the two are

The HD500/HD bean/HD pro are all pretty amazing for me. They still require some decent tweaking though to really shine- though some of the amp models sound great pretty much out of the box. Check out meambobbos guide, it really does a great job describing the kind of tweaking you can expect to do.

As an HD500 owner I would say between the 400 and 500, it has to be the 500 every time. Just for the level of tweaking you get between the two.

What I did was wait for guitar center to have one of their deals going on and ended up getting mine for about the same as a hd400 would be without the deal, so you might consider waiting for that if money is an issue.

meambobbo

Reaction score
the big difference between the 400 and 500/pro/desktop is that with the 400 you have 4 slots for FX, and these slots only have certain types of effects. For instance, one slot might have mostly reverbs, while another has modulation effects. So while you can combine up to 4 different types of effects in one patch, you can only use 1 of each type of effect per patch. You can't do multiple delays or multiple reverbs or multiple mod effects in a single patch.

Where this really bites you in the ass is with the first slot, which has all the distortion pedals, compressors, and EQ's. So you can't use multiple EQ's, and you can't use a compressor + an EQ or a distortion pedal + an EQ. Furthermore, the EQ effects in the Pod HD series are fairly narrow in scope - I often have to use 2 or more to get the EQ changes I want.

The 500 additionally allows you to place the effects in the exact order you want in the chain. The 400 allows you pre/post placement, but not exact placement - probably won't affect too much, but it can make a difference sometimes.

In defense of the 400, it's not as strictly limited as it might appear at first glance. For instance, in the 500, the FX loop takes up one block. A Wah pedal takes up a block. As does a Volume pedal, and a noise gate. In the 400, these exist outside of its 4 slots. So in theory they can handle around the same number of effects, given certain effects being used. but there are ways to get volume pedal effects without using the volume pedal block in the 500.

in short, i would have felt VERY limited with the 400 compared to the 500.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Hiya!

If you don't mind using the Bean Pod Pro, you'll still get what the 500 has to offer inside, just no floorboard goodies like expression pedal or foot switches

Rob_Ec

Banned
Reaction score
i was in the dilemma also i ended up getting the pod hd bean
for about 400 or soo
dont get the hd300-400 if u want unlimited tweak ability
the more i have the bean the more i like it better then the hd 500 main reason being i dont want the brain on the floor lol and it looks better the hd bean/hd pro plus the shortboard
:shred:
Hiya!

Rob_Ec

Banned
Reaction score
whats up guys!!
finally got back on here!
anyways heres some djentastic patches i made haha

this one is just a typical djent tone with the stereo effect on the left/right side
http://line6.com/customtone/tone/218060/
this one is my direct recording tone has the pitch shifter in the front of the chain.dont move it or it will sounds ugly and distorted
i play in A# so yeah just adjust the -5.0 to whatever u want
this has been the best sound ive been able to get out of one cab
also the closest engl sound ive gotten=]

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/218059/

let me know what u guys think im gunna upload some ambient patches as well soon.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
My ultimate goal is to one day be famous enough that people will be coming on here and bugging everyone who saw me post my patches here and there, to try and get a hold of them :lol:

You know, like Fredrik posting his old POD patches on the meshuggah forum?

i'll show myself out...

atoni

Reaction score
My ultimate goal is to one day be famous enough that people will be coming on here and bugging everyone who saw me post my patches here and there, to try and get a hold of them :lol:

You know, like Fredrik posting his old POD patches on the meshuggah forum?

i'll show myself out...

Thanks for your recent patch. I've been playing with it in couple of rehearsals. Just set the gates' thresholds bit down. I'm going from Blackouts or EMG81 or EMG85 pu'zs to pod POD to Velocity 300 to Laboga 4x12 V30. Sounds killer!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Thanks for your recent patch. I've been playing with it in couple of rehearsals. Just set the gates' thresholds bit down. I'm going from Blackouts or EMG81 or EMG85 pu'zs to pod POD to Velocity 300 to Laboga 4x12 V30. Sounds killer!

oh, cool! i'm glad you found a use for it!

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score

Recorded a video today with my HD500 patches. Thought someone might see some use of it here :)

excuse the sloppy playing haha.

was using a gunslinger retro fitted with an emg 81 x

primitiverebelworld

Reaction score
Looks like right thread to ask this. Will POD HD sound good when paired with active nearfield monitors like Yamaha HS50 or KrK rp5? I sold my vox ad15xl and tried to play through ZoomG1 multieffect+defender computer speakers(made of wood) and I liked the sound more than Vox! I would like to keep my gear as simple as possible to practice in home and record direct but still sound decent.

Has anyone tried this setup or something similar?

Very interested in how HS50 would suit for guitar playing via POD HD and listening music too!

cyb

Tune Low Play Slow
Reaction score
my pod hd sounded pretty good through my krk rokit 5's. I imagine the yamahas would sound even better.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i made another super tight patch with a dual amp setting, awesome for hard instant attack, tight gating, yet great sustain and deep chugs.

made a clip: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3782113/stupendously tight.mp3

note the tight ghost notes and instant cutoffs when muting between notes, and notice how it still sustains and chugs when you want it to!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3782113/TIGHTER THAN TIGHT.h5e

here's the patch. it's made for 6 string, so you might have to tweak a little for lower tunings. i know i will :D

btbamthewell

Reaction score
Just bought a POD HD and downloaded drivers/software and have it plugged into laptop via usb....no sound coming out any idea?

Reaction score
Hi d00dz,

I'm relatively new in terms of guitar equipments (so a huge noob), I have an LTD-MH1000 deluxe, and a Line6 Spider IV 75W amp. I love it, but I'm thinking about home-recording recently. Do you guys think that it's a good idea to sell this and buy a pod+monitors? I don't have a band or anything, i'm practicing at home.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Just bought a POD HD and downloaded drivers/software and have it plugged into laptop via usb....no sound coming out any idea?

Check your control panel settings, change your sound input to HD500 and sound output to internal speakers.

Or change your sound output to HD500 and use headphones through it. Whatever you want to do :shred:

Latest posts

')