osmosis2259

Reaction score
I just started tinkering with it yesterday. So far I'm actually not so impressed. I've had much better luck getting bass sounds going direct. However there's a couple things to consider:

1) I need new strings.
2) I've always preferred DI, even over a real amp for bass.
3) I have not spent more than a day dialing the bass amp in, while I've been tweaking my DI approach for years.

I'd be interested in hearing a few recordings people have done with the new bass model, as well as a chance to download their patch so I can compare their sound with what I get out of it.

I decided to keep the bass simple. I barely did anything to it besides just a noise gate and studio eq. It adds the fullness in the heavier parts and stands out pretty nice in the cleaner sections in my opinion. I might have to turn it up a little though... I'm not sure... It could be nice getting someones opinion :)

Here is a quick clip of a song I'm currently working on
Music Update- May 5, 2012 by Burak Ozmucur on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Ok so I just got back from soundcheck at a 600 capacity venue with a large p.a. Sounding MEAAAAAAAN. Had to dial back the gain a fair bit and increase the cabinet thump but it sounded great.

our other guitarist ran his axe fx ultra and Soldano SLO patch. It sounded huge. We learnt a lot from the previous night and worked with the soundguy for a fair bit to get a really big on stage sound to compensate for not having two full stacks behind us haha.

Warmachine; really hard to answer cause I LOVE 5150's haha. I'd do the four cable method with the HD500 if I had your setup, otherwise if you like dual rect tones the HD500 dual rect patch sounds great.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Thanks dude, got you PM btw lol. I....HATE.....GAS!!!! there needs to be a beano for musicians GAS too!!:lol: oh dont get me wrong bro, hands down, the 5150 has and always will be my all time favorite amp. i've never played anything that ever made me dislike it or consider and equal :agreed: i've been playing around with so much gear experimenting here lately its not even funny! Just for kicks i ran through my pedals and the 5150 alone and i got it sounding KILLER! (being a friggin guitarist i'll like it for a month or two then change my mind lol) I run an NS-2 in the effects loop for the static hum, killed it. then i tried running my Wylde OD pedal with the gain at 0, level at 2 o'clock and tone at noon and WOW!!! i've never tried a boost like everyone talks about but man, with my gain set on 4.5 and that boost it gave it juuuuust enough push to keep me happy lol. xCaptainx, hat's off to ya bro for nailing the the HD direct dude, thats killer!:hbang:

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Righto so first show at kings arms doing D.I worked a treat. HUGE amount of room on stage now, we put our stage scrims up where the amps would normally go (instead of in front of them) so we didnt have that 'hey where the fuck is their gear?!?' look going on.

Talked to the soundguy quite early at sound check first. Explained the setup and what we needed, and made sure he cranked us through the stage monitors.

Only mistake I made was not asking for an even mix of both our guitars on both sides. We move around a lot so half the time, I was on the other side of the stage and never heard myself anyway, haha. And hearing JUST me in front of my pedalboard was quite unnerving. I relised I use too much compression on my lead patch as the volume increased dramatically during my solos (which actually really started me when I hit my first one, and completely through me off. All I could hear was my lead, haha)

Tone wise - much of the 'hhhm...this could have sounded better' was simply down to the amp I was emulation; the dual rect patch. I'm going to try the engl next show for a snappier, more twangy clear overdrive with less sag, or try the deizel or maybe even just the jcm800. Our other guitarist uses the SLO patch of the Axe Fx and has a really nice tone, I think a marshall style tone would compliment it much more than a modern dual rect.

But if anyone wants tips with the HD500 D.I patch, spend a lot of time with the cabinet deep editing functionality. The resonance function works a treat, and the 'thump' option works much better the higher you have the resonance.

So all n all, a success! Much more tweaking to be had and experimenting with amp + overdrive choice. i'm thinking of emulating the kerry king jcm800 tone before his 2203KK and do a graphic E.Q upside down smiley before a jcm800.

oh and it was our first proper show with our new drummer. His new drum skins looked AWESOME.

427927_405606366140592_7683025_n.jpg

We've also been lucky enough to have Nuno Benncourt join us on bass!

542884_405605896140639_100000736951375_1299524_825078044_n.jpg

and this is how much I liked my D.I setup.

75262_405605969473965_100000736951375_1299525_772428218_n.jpg

Reaction score
Tone wise - much of the 'hhhm...this could have sounded better' was simply down to the amp I was emulation; the dual rect patch. I'm going to try the engl next show for a snappier, more twangy clear overdrive with less sag, or try the diezel or maybe even just the jcm800. Our other guitarist uses the SLO patch of the Axe Fx and has a really nice tone, I think a marshall style tone would compliment it much more than a modern dual rect.

:eek:

POD HD500 has a Diezel model? Or did you pull some ninja grammar and start talking about the Axe FX mid-sentence?

T-e-r-r-y

Reaction score
:eek:

POD HD500 has a Diezel model? Or did you pull some ninja grammar and start talking about the Axe FX mid-sentence?

You have to buy it as part of a model pack called "Metal Shop" :

Line 6

I've been using the HD500 with my Laney GH50L hooked up via the four-cable method. My Laney does all the high gain stuff and I use the HD500 for effects and cleaner amp models. It's like giving my amp more channels! :yesway:

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
You have to buy it as part of a model pack called "Metal Shop" :

Line 6

I've been using the HD500 with my Laney GH50L hooked up via the four-cable method. My Laney does all the high gain stuff and I use the HD500 for effects and cleaner amp models. It's like giving my amp more channels! :yesway:

Those are old models and are not compatible with the PODHD line.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
FWIW, the JCM800 model will mix well with almost any other amp model. The result is a really "loud" sounding tone (and not by adding more highs and lows at all), with a pleasant high end (at least when mixed with the recto).

The Fireball model is pretty awesome, and the Uberschall model is growly as FUCK. I'm not getting along with the recto model on it's own though, the high end just isn't the right kind for my taste. I have to work around it more than anything, ya know?

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
FWIW, the JCM800 model will mix well with almost any other amp model. The result is a really "loud" sounding tone (and not by adding more highs and lows at all), with a pleasant high end (at least when mixed with the recto).

The Fireball model is pretty awesome, and the Uberschall model is growly as FUCK. I'm not getting along with the recto model on it's own though, the high end just isn't the right kind for my taste. I have to work around it more than anything, ya know?

I've managed some decent rhythm tones out of the Rectifier but it took quite a bit of time and tinkering to get it

Ola's patch is pretty nice too, imo

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I've managed some decent rhythm tones out of the Rectifier but it took quite a bit of time and tinkering to get it

Ola's patch is pretty nice too, imo

I haven't tried Ola's patch, but i don't use the built-in cab sims anyway, so i'm not too bothered. Probably wouldn't like it all that much, just like i didn't like Bulb's Pod XT tone. I love how they sound when the guys who made them are playing through them, but that just reveals how personal one's settings can be!

edit: try this patch: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3782113/TIGHTER THAN TIGHT.h5e

Remove the compressor, and maybe the gate, that are at the end of the chain if you want to use cab sims with it. It'll spazz out and overload if you don't. If you do activate cab sims, you should also turn down the outputs on the amps (by the same amount) to avoid distorting the "vintage preamp" models, that are there to flip the phase on one amp and do some low and high end filtering.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Played the HD500 straight into a PA last night, gonna get a video of a song up soon if the performance is any good, really happy with the sound, loving the new cab settings with the amounts of thump and resonance, much more amp-like now even than before, and I was happy before!!

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
Anyone tried to use BOOST COMP. instead of screamer?

I started to use it in my live setup with mesa model and I think it gives nice THUD to the sound and it becomes more beefy.

My settings are: Drive:45, Bass:0, Treble:75, Comp:30, Output:95

I would like to hear what you think of it!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Anyone tried to use BOOST COMP. instead of screamer?

I started to use it in my live setup with mesa model and I think it gives nice THUD to the sound and it becomes more beefy.

My settings are: Drive:45, Bass:0, Treble:75, Comp:30, Output:95

I would like to hear what you think of it!

i tried it out a bunch, but it never accentuated or removed the frequencies i wanted, and it doesn't boost much if you don't use the compressor function. It's good as a "gimme some more gain!" function though.

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
For me, on settings above, it gives pretty much same effect as screamer only beefier.
Maybe it's my guitar cause its super bright so it fits.

Latest posts

')